Should all acoustic guitars be properly humidified?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

As some of you may know, I've acquired a Seagull S12, which has a cedar top, but laminated cherry back and sides. So, I was wondering whether it was crucial for this guitar to be properly humidified, or does that just basically apply to solid wood guitars?

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members

Humidify it. Even though laminate wood is affected by the humidity level, the solid top is what changes the most. In the summer, with high humidity, the top will rise. This raises the action on the guitar. In the winter, the opposite will happen when it's dry. If this cycle occurs over and over, there will be a permanent and not so great bulge on your top at the bridge.

Keep humidity level around 45-55% for most wood guitars. I use the soundhole humidifiers (two in the winter since i am in DRY MN...) Find humidifiers that are two-way (absorb or release water).

• Members

Unless it's a composite from a maker like Rainsong or CA, it needs to be kept at proper humidity, period. Even if it's an all-laminate guitar, you still have to be concerned about the fretboard (as it shrinks from drying, the fret-ends will stick out), glue joints, etc.

• Members
Humidify it. Even though laminate wood is affected by the humidity level, the solid top is what changes the most. In the summer, with high humidity, the top will rise. This raises the action on the guitar. In the winter, the opposite will happen when it's dry. If this cycle occurs over and over, there will be a permanent and not so great bulge on your top at the bridge.

Keep humidity level around 45-55% for most wood guitars. I use the soundhole humidifiers (two in the winter since i am in DRY MN...) Find humidifiers that are two-way (absorb or release water).

Is a Dampit an absorb/release one?

Baba, not sure if you're serious here but c'mon, let him have his say even if you don't agree with it* - I'm sure you've seen worse.:)

*Which, btw, I don't either.

• Members
Is a Dampit an absorb/release one?

Baba, not sure if you're serious here but c'mon, let him have his say even if you don't agree with it* - I'm sure you've seen worse.
:)

*Which, btw, I don't either.

I am totally serious. This forum has succeeded in staying the rancor-free place that it is because of our tradition of not getting political. I have nothing against people expressing themselves, just not here on politics.

• Members

The playing field (sorry) remains level when all the personalities keep their other non-forum agendas to themselves. Politics, or other issues, are facets of personalities that not only don't belong on this forum, they can and do solicit the reader regardless of harmless intent. Some folks are more sensitive than others and those differences change the decorum here. So, for the sake of stability I will have to support Baba on this one.

Yes, you must properly humidify your guitar at all times. Minor changes in RH usually affects the way it sounds. Major changes - over a period of time - can affect the structural integrity of the guitar. That's part of the discipline of maintaining your guitars. It's a PITA but well worth the effort.

• Members
For the sake of stability I will have to support Baba on this one.

Support him for whatever reason you like, its your opinion, which was my original point!:p

But forget about that.

Honestly - I wasn't tryin to argue, and I understand what a touchy subject politics can be. I agree, it does have no place here, save it for the politics discussion or whatever its called [i don't even go there].

Just thought it was a bit, almost snooty, to make a point of refusing to answer due to a sig. Could've posted a reply as well as stating your point 'cos I'll be damned if Baba hasn't got one!:D

Anyway sorry if I offended you pal, hope we're ok :thu:

PM sent :wave:

• Members

Frankly I wouldn't have noticed the political content had Baba not commented on it. I assume we're also going to ban any mention of praise bands, since that unnecessarily brings religion to the discussion? But then it's not "cool" to find that offensive.

I am, btw, all for getting rid of politics and religion in the forum. Refusing to help someone because you find their signature "offensive" is itself a political statement. Since Baba is a fair and thoughtful guy (I mean that seriously) I'm sure that in the future he will refuse to help anyone whose signature mentions either politics or religion and will go out of his way to point that out to those concerned.

• Members

I'm sure that in the future he will refuse to help anyone whose signature mentions either politics or religion and will go out of his way to point that out to those concerned.

He usually does do just that, and it is a big part of what keeps politics out of AG.

And I agree with everyone on humidity- just because your guitar only has a solid top, not solid B&S, doesn't mean you shouldn't take the same care humidifying it you would take with an all-solid guitar. Seagulls are great guitars and are worth taking care of so they are just as good in 2027 as they were in 2007.

Ellen

• Members

Humidity can cause laminates to come apart. It can als negatively effect the sound as the exposed wood gets satrated or dryed out.

Politics has no place on this forum. There is the political party to express political views. Religion is not promoted on this forum. If a members playing out is in praise and worship it is welcome as discusing their gig. This is not promoting a religion. :idea::wave:

• Members

Yes ,
by all means humidify- I got one of the best playing and tone guitars of my life last week and I now have a 6-8 inch crack in my top because I did not worry about humiditity . Martin ain't cheap either - only good thing is it still sounds great and I needed a guitar make into a"player".

This d15 'custom" is very light and unfinished wood - I guess all the other acoustics I have over 40 years with the laquer finish were more forgiving.

don't make my mistake - my rh by the way is 35%

• Members

Frankly I wouldn't have noticed the political content had Baba not commented on it. I assume we're also going to ban any mention of praise bands, since that unnecessarily brings religion to the discussion? But then it's not "cool" to find that offensive.

I am, btw, all for getting rid of politics and religion in the forum. Refusing to help someone because you find their signature "offensive" is itself a political statement. Since Baba is a fair and thoughtful guy (I mean that seriously) I'm sure that in the future he will refuse to help anyone whose signature mentions either politics or religion and will go out of his way to point that out to those concerned.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but the suggestion that I am opposed to religion or people having a point of view is ridiculous. If you read the quote above in Glenn F's signature -

Those now in charge of the federal government are upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka

• Members

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but the suggestion that I am opposed to religion or people having a point of view is ridiculous.

I didn't mean to suggest that you are opposed to religion or people having a political point of view. As I understand it you're only against people expressing those views on this particular sub-forum. And I think I pointed out that I was serious in saying that you were a fair and thoughtful guy.

However, in this case, your stated reason for not helping was that you found the signature offensive, not that it was political. You usually take a bit more care to stake neutral ground.

Furthermore, a signature is not at all the same thing as a post. Of course, signatures can state a view. But they can also quote a phrase mockingly. There is no way to know which is meant. Most importantly, a signature, is applied at a forum wide level, not just in this sub-forum. It is unreasonable to expect that every person will adjust their signature when posting in this particular area. And frankly, to refuse to help those who don't is just plain rude. By all means mention it, and remind them that we don't talk politics here. But let's try to exercise a bit of understanding and tolerance at the same time. A gentle reminder and an offer of help will go a lot further than will a fanatical insistence upon perfect adherence to unwritten rules.

I also wanted to point out that people habitually turn a blind eye to the expression of religious positions here, so long as they are mainstream xian. There are numerous signatures from which one can easily determine the religious views of the poster, and we've had numerous thread regarding praise bands. It's simply false that we don't allow the expression of politcal and religious views in any form here. That you find it "bizarre" to bring up discussion of praise bands in this context, merely indicates a certain cultural myopia on your part. Many people find the expression of xian privilege just as offensive as you find the OP's signature. Why should their offense matter less than yours?

By all means, let's keep political-religious discussion to whatever bare minimum we can. But more importantly, let's practice tolerance, understanding, and helpfulness wherever we can. And let's not pretend that we succeed in being completely even-handed, despite our best efforts.

• Members

Um......

I don't wish to start a flamewar, or anything. First of all, thanks to all who offered helpful replies.

If I've broken some sort of protocol here, I apologize. I assume that there is crossover between forums, and that the more political types, with, political signatures, post in the non-political forums? If that is not the case, then I'll change my signature, but, if it isn't, then I'm not going to be browbeaten into changing it.

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members

Um......

I don't wish to start a flamewar, or anything. First of all, thanks to all who offered helpful replies.

If I've broken some sort of protocol here, I apologize. I assume that there is crossover between forums, and that the more political types, with, political signatures, post in the non-political forums? If that is not the case, then I'll change my signature, but, if it isn't, then I'm not going to be browbeaten into changing it.

Cheers!

Glenn

You didn't break protocol at all, Glenn.

Some folks are just whiney, and wish to draw attention to that which largely goes unnoticed anyway. Now, an intelligent person would simply accept that others have a point of view and may well wish to express it in 'signature' form (which, if anything, allows for free expression without provoking response in the way that an outright post would). Obviously, expressly drawing attention to a signature in a thread (instead of, say, sending a discrete PM) is just one way people are guilty of the very rabble-rousing they accuse others of perpetuating.

Oh well. Takes all types. :wave:

• Members
Frankly, I find your signature offensive. If you would see fit to change it to something less political I would be happy to offer whatever assistance I can in the future.

I mean - a post like this pretty much sums up the author, doesn't it?

:rolleyes:

• Members

I took offense to the equation of Christians with White Supremacists. If you don't see that equation as offensive then I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

I'm not really interested in a political discussion, but.... doesn't the quote imply that it is precisely because the author thinks 'white supremacist' and 'Christian' are mutually exclusive, that he finds it outrageous to see some white supremacists posturing as Christians? Hence the quotation marks around "Christians", i.e. they call themselves Christians but certainly aren't? :confused:

That's how I read it anyway...

Oh, well... :idk:

So, how about my humidity problem? :(

• Members

Again, thank you for your helpful replies. I do not equate Christians with White Supremists, but there are are evil people who do evil things in the name of God, Allah, Yahweh, etc. I think Vonnegut was referring to them. As for psychopathic personalities, I'd say that someone who can go to bed and sleep soundly, and have no conscience for the blood on his hands, is a sociopath.

Anyways, that's the last political thing I'll say in this forum. I am here for comradeship, to learn, to share my experience where relevant, not to get into pissing matches that change no one's mind anyways.

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members
Again, thank you for your helpful replies. I do not equate Christians with White Supremists, but there are are evil people who do evil things in the name of God, Allah, Yahweh, etc. I think Vonnegut was referring to them. As for psychopathic personalities, I'd say that someone who can go to bed and sleep soundly, and have no conscience for the blood on his hands, is a sociopath.

Anyways, that's the last political thing I'll say in this forum. I am here for comradeship, to learn, to share my experience where relevant, not to get into pissing matches that change no one's mind anyways.

Cheers!

Glenn

Welcome to the AG forum.:wave: There is a warm caring atmosphere here that isn't on other forums. The lack of politics helps to keep it that way. I've learned a great deal of respect for people that are political opposites to myself on this forum. This is the forum that gets past the politics and to the individual.:cool:

• Members

There is a point beyond which comments become offensive. In this case it was a quote from an author whose work I have otherwise enjoyed and respected. To say that any comment which can be construed as having political overtones or any mention of playing in Church is the same as Vonnegut's hateful statement is nonsensical.

My point is that you are reacting to the quote because you found it offensive, not because you found it political. Many discussions of playing guitar in church include statements of religious belief. We let them pass because we don't perceive them as offensive. What is nonsensical is pretending to ban all political discussion while in fact banning only that which we imagine to be offensive. In fact, banning only that which offends us is itself a political expression.

Archived