Recommend me a new acoustic please

johnrambo

• Members

Hi guys. I usually hang around the effects forum but i've been thinking about a trading in an electric guitar i have for a new acoustic. The store that i want to deal with carries Martin, Taylor and Blueridge acoustics. I played a Martin 000X1 today and loved the size (keep in mind i'm used to electrics and would prefer something smaller than a dreadnaught) but i'm a little leary of the laminate construction on the back and sides. I did a search but didn't turn up much. Maybe it's been discussed to death but does anyone have any opinions on these X-Series Martins. Should i look elsewhere? Thanks for any help you can offer.

edit: price range below $800 but lower is better. these 000X1 is $550 at my store, no case.

• Members

i saw that thread and it could be of some help. i'm really just curious about those x-series martins in particular. i guess i couldn't worded my thread title a little more appropriately. i did a search but for some reason didn't come up with much. if someone just wants to point me to a good thread about them that be great and i'll leave you guys alone.

as far as what i want to do with it... just something nice to have around the house for songwriting or playing with a couple of friends. no gigging required, no electronics required. i'm particular to the smaller size and no cutaway.

• Members

I'm afraid that I don't have any experience with the martin x-series. From the specs alone I expect you could do better for the price, but specs can be deceiving. My best advice is to go play as many different small bodied guitars as you can. Guild GAD and Epiphone Masterbilt get lots of love around here at that price, I think they both make smaller bodied versions.

• Members

If your price range is $800 and below, and you like Martins, definitely check out their -15 Series.

The Martin X-Series is basically laminate and resin. The -15 Series is all-solid mahogany or sapele. You can definintely hear the difference, and it's well worth the extra c-note.

Guild's GAD Series and the Epiphone Masterbuilts are also great for the money.

Don't rule out Seagull, either. For $350-$400, you can get yourself a real nice guitar.

• Members

All of these are good answers and should be checked out if possible.

IMHO With the Martin X series you are just paying for the name and many guitars are better in the X series price range.

My choice would be the Epiphone Masterbuilt EF500R.

To me buying a guitar has always been a big decision so I would suggest to getting to as many music stores as possible and try out as many guitars as possible that fit the size and price you are looking at. You may find that one guitar that sweet talks you just right.:wave:

• Members

.... To me buying a guitar has always been a big decision so I would suggest to getting to as many music stores as possible and try out as many guitars as possible that fit the size and price you are looking at. You may find that one guitar that sweet talks you just right.

I agree. I've got a 12 string X series which I really like (D12X1), so obviously I have nothing against the Formica body, the Stratabond neck, and Micarta fretboard, but I really DON'T like the 6 string X series guitars I've tried. They don't talk to me at all. You just gotta try a bunch to see what talks to you.

Scott O

• Members

Yep. Some of the worst guitars I've ever heard. I'd probably play any other guitar over $100 than one of those.

They are weird instruments, IMO. Every single one I've played hasn't sounded bad when strummed...but if you play any single note runs, the instrument just sounds weird. And not in a good way.

You can buy an all-laminate Art & Lutherie for under $200 that sounds better and isn't outsourced for cheaper labor. I really dig Martin, but they screwed the pooch with the X-Seires. IMO, of course.

• Members

I played an x series once, and afterwards I told the store clerk. " maybe it's just me but I can't connect with this guitar" The store clerk replies " It's been set up three times and that's pretty much what everyone says." However I played a 00016rgte later and I REALLY liked that one.Also try a Larrivee L03 they are very nice sounding an playing guitars.

Archived