Nylon strings with flatwound basses?

Stackabones

• Members

Any ideas? :confused:

I'm not a classical player, but I do play nylon-string guitars often for jazz, blues, country, rock, pop. ;)

Also, which strings have a smaller diameter trebles (or just smaller diameter in general). I'm using a Yamaha AEX500N that has a skinny electric-style neck and wondered if I could find something more suitable.

Thanks!

• Members

'Polished' basses.....they do exist! They are used in recordings to reduce squeaks. But they don't last as long as regular basses. Ask over at the stringsbymail dot com website.

For thinner trebles try carbon composites like Savarez Alliance. Normal tension is crazy thin (I use high tension).

• Members

I use La Bella 900 on my classical guitar. The bases are roundwound with bronze then they are ground and polished to get a smooth surface. The trebles are either gold or black nylon depending on the set (black trebles are higher tension) - thinner than traditional clear nylon. The polished bases greatly reduce finger noise on the strings.

They are very reasonably priced (especially in the US) and last well - certainly much longer than silverplated copper.

Riffmeister likes the Savarez Alliance which use a different polymer for the trebles (thinner again) - I am going to give these a try next time I re-string.

Archived