Finally got to upload clips.

Jkater

• Members

I finally figured it out and there they are. Some are from a CD where I play some of my favorite fingerstyle acoustic pieces. They sound good because that's in the studio and mixed by somebody who knows his stuff. Others are just recording at home with a friend who is a heck of a good saxophone player. I basically just do the comping, reading leadsheets but it's worth sharing, I dare to believe.Thanks for listening. Here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/jkater

• Members

I just had time to listen to Wave and Desafinado but it sounds great. I'm in the process of learning Desafinado and love the Portugese but usually end up going the Sun King route and just making up words.

Very cool and I really like the sax.

• Members

Some nice tunes in there ... and well-played. Good comping going on! Sounds like that sax player is a blast to play with.

I noticed on the pic for Wave you have what looks like the headstock for a Yammie nylon string. Which one are you using?

It's a Yamaha APX-9na. It's decent but nothing extraordinary. The nut was cut funny as far as string spacing goes, not making use of the whole width of the fretboard and I had a new nut made which improved things for me. What I find good is the slight radius and narrower neck which feels good to a steel string player like me and also the neck is adjustable so you can work out a set-up for low action. It's built with the transducer in mind so the acoustic sound is weak but sounds OK. The B-Band pick-up is good, I think, and that's really what this guitar is about. It's very pretty with nice appointments but the bridge is Rosewood rather than the ebony listed in the specs. Some day, I might get myself a real good nylon string (EX: Taylor) but for now it does the job. I own another Yamaha : a semi-acoustic (335) electric, the SA2200 which I absolutely love.

Archived