Tuning machine buzz - what to do?

Berkleo

• Members

I have a 30 year old Yamaha FG225 with buzzing coming from what seems to be the tuners on the A and D strings. The bottom screws on the tuners seem okay but the top screws no longer bite (they spin clockwise unencumbered). I'm not sure if this is the source of the problem. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

• Members

What do you mean by top screws ? do they have a washers and a fitted screw over the top to hold the tuners in place on the front of the guitar ?

If this is worn out its almost impossible to retread it - if the screw is in to the wood you can always take the tuner of , plug it with a small maple dowel ( glue it with white glue - let it dry ), redrill it with a very tiny drill ( for a starter hole ) then reapply the screws-- if its on the top of the tuners - you have basically two options - you can either use something like lock title ( which i dont suggest ) or possibly go around the threads with that white plumbing tape ( think its made out of teflon ) , will fill in the threads a litle and let you get it tighter - you just might have to replace the tuners and the best place to check them out is LMI or Stew Mac ( LMI is cheaper )

• Members

The nuts on the top of tuners are frequently loose on guitars.

Many players don't even know about them.

Try tightening them next time you change your strings, or take the strings off.

Your strings need to be off to do this, as the tension makes it too difficult and you can damage your guitar otherwise.

• Members

Don't know why but I'm not feeling terribly sentimental right now. I'm looking at my old friend and thinking "kindling"....

You will find several of us who happen to love the old Yamies who would be willing to give your kindling a nice home. FWIW, if they only problem is the tuners I replaced the ones on my FG-150 with some nice little vintage style Grovers that weren't too expensive, fit perfectly and are a huge improvement. I can look up the part number if you are interested.

Mine had press in shaft bushings - I can see how that might be a problem as they got worn.

• Members

My teacher, who is also a fine Luthier, suggested I take a toothpick, dip it in Elmer's, stick it in the stripped holes and cut off the end when dry. Then just re-tap the hole with the original screw. I'll post my results (if anyone's interested...)

Archived