Recommend a banger for me

Berserker22

• Members

I'm looking to purchase a reasonably priced ($200 - $500), nylon stringed banger (Already have my Larrivee). Something that I can take anywhere, sit down anywhere and not stress too much when the kids are playing around it. I like a thick neck, but thinner is not a deal breaker. I looking for a lower action. Recommendations? What are you all happy with? Thanks for the help in spending my money.

Gil

• Members
Yamaha-look for the 'S' suffix in the model number indicating a solid top. The FG720S is a fine, inexpensive guitar. Around $250.

Actually, the "S" means spruce, as opposed to "C" for cedar. And the FG720 is a steel string - OP is looking for a nylon.

My recommendation, at least for a start, would be taking a look at the Yamaha CG151S - solid spruce top, ovangkol b&s, $300 delivered.

You'll notice Yamaha seems to be popping up a lot...;)

• Members

Gil I have a nice Washburn Cumberland listed here.Its not a nylon but I cant see any reason why you couldn't put them on.I can let you have it for 350 ship included.

You'll get virtually no volume and very muted tone if you put nylon strings on a guitar braced for steel strings.

Try the classifieds...

• Members

I feel like a shill sometimes, but you can get a new Walden N570 classical on ebay for around $200. The thing that makes the Waldens great is their quality vs. price point. You cannot go wrong with one. I am currently loving my Walden N560. The thin finishes on the guitars really makes for better sound as far as my ears can tell.

• Members

Hit a pawn shop or two. Every one I go into has a Yammie Nylon hanging around. New or used, Yammie is an easy buy.

Check your local craigslist as well.

If you live near a music college/university, wait till the end of the semester or until the summer ... many of the guitar students will unload their nylons at that time.

As far as low action out-of-the-box or off-the-wall, you can always get a guitar tech to adjust it to your satisfaction.

If possible, try to get a hardshell case (not a gigbag, not a chip board case). I found one at pawn shop for next-to-nothing. Though it's only a beater, you'll be surprised how a beater over time transforms into a dearly beloved. :)

• Members

Anyone have the Martin LX-1? Couldn't stand their backpacker, but this looks pretty nice. And if it has similar action as their full size I think it might just be the ticket. I tried the Baby Taylor and the Big Baby and didn't care for the higher action. Nice geets though. Thoughts?

Gil

• Members
I'm looking to purchase a reasonably priced ($200 - $500), nylon stringed banger (Already have my Larrivee). ...

Gil

I guess my definition of a banger is different from yours, or your wallet is just thicker. ;) I'd be looking on eBay for a Yamaha for
Scott O

Archived