Custom Inlays

Amanda-Jane

• Members

But It's too flashy for my taste

I like the simple flower desings..not the ones that are heavily decorated with inlays.

I seen one that had the back simply decorated with daisy's (my wedding flower) and butterflies. It was on the back but hinted towards the front with a few peekaboo flowers and a daisy on the fret board..LOVED IT.. it look like it should be mine..

• Members

Anything and everything is possible. I have used pearl from Andy Depaule for the simple initials in the headstock (see my avatar) to the traditional scrolly stuff on my mandolin. Andy can have his sources cut almost anything you want if you furnish a drawing

http://www.luthiersupply.com/

It is much easier to do while the instrument is being made, but it would be possible to add later. For a headstock inlay you would have to refinish it after the work was done, to inlay a fretboard you would need to pull the frets. I'm not usually a fan of a lot of bling, but here is the mando

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threads.php?id=763_0_9_40_C

• Members

As is the case with all fashion trends, guitar ornamentation goes in and out of style. We're in a period now of "understated elegance" where it's not considered fashionable to inlay a lot of MOP or abalone, but these are ancient arts going back centuries. If you like this inlay artistry, take a look at the work of Larry Robinson & Grit Laskin.

• Members

Though I'm not into heavily decorated gits, I will admit that inlay work is a lovely art form.

I did have the opportunity to see some outstanding inlay work last night. Marcellis brought the de-cursed Dragon back from Viet Nam and I got to see it close up. I was astounded. (And it played pretty darn good, too!)

No telling how many man-hours of labor go into a finely inlaid git. I know I'd never have that kind of patience in a million years.

Archived