Tried out some guitars today (and ? for D-15 owners)

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there, everyone,

Welp, last night I had a dream that I was on the 'Quest For The Holy Grail' only that, in my dream, the Holy Grail was a guitar....:p When I woke up, I told my wife, and she said "with you, why am I not surprised?" :confused: I mentioned that I thought the dream was silly, as Christ could never have drunk out of a guitar, right?:poke:

So, anyways, I began my Quest at another local shop today, and I tried out a few Guilds, Martins, and a couple of Seagulls.

My impression of the Guilds was not really high. I tried out a couple of D-25s, as well as a couple of GADs. I found the necks clunky, and the sound on the GAD-50 a bit boxy. It looked nice, but I don't think I would would adapt to the neck, and the gears were slipping all over the place.

I finally got to try a D-28, and, again, was not blown away. The owner of the shop said he'd had this guitar for over 20 years, but, if so, I don't think anyone's played it very much. The sound was very tight, and not especially loud, given what I was told to expect from it.

Then I tried a D-15. Two of them, as a matter of fact. Now HERE, out of about 8 Martins I've played lately, was a guitar that had some tone mojo going on. The one up on the wall and the new one in the box sounded and played very similarly. I've negotiated a decent price for it (given that I'm in Europe...:rolleyes:) and told the proprietor that I would discuss it with my wife over the weekend.

So, when I got home this afternoon, I went into the HC user reviews and read up on the D-15. For the most part, the reviews are good, but there is basically one outstanding issue regarding this guitar, and that pertains to the satin finish.

So, for you D-15 owners out there, have you had any problems with the finish interacting with sweat which either has left the finish blemished, or made the neck more difficult to move around on?

I'd certainly appreciate some feedback on this guitar.

Cheers, and thanks!

Glenn

• Members

So, for you D-15 owners out there, have you had any problems with the finish interacting with sweat which either has left the finish blemished, or made the neck more difficult to move around on?

Hey, Glenn.

Mine is a DC-15e, but the finish is the same as the one you are looking at. Mine does have a shiny spot where my right arm rests on the top (bass side of the lower bout). At first I was really distressed about it, because I wanted to keep my guitar in perfect shape. After a while, I got over it, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I've heard of people taking this off by extremely gently gliding 000 steel wool across the shiny spot. The idea of taking steel wool to the top of my guitar made me want to toss cookies, so I can't say if that actually works or not.

I haven't had any trouble with the neck. I wipe down the guitar whenever I put it back in the case, so maybe that's why.

I'll try to get a pic up this weekend so you can see exactly what I'm talking about in time for you to go back to the shop. It's an extremely busy weekend, tho so no promises.

-m

• Members

I have a martin D-2R with the same satin finish the D-15 has and I have the same problems/characteristics. I have a large shinny spot where my arm rests, a decent sized shinny spot where the guitar sits on my knee, and a small spot on the other side of the pickguard. I wish the guitar still looked like new with the satin finish, but it still sounds amazing so I don't complain. If you get a satin finished guitar its just something you have to live with, but I never even think about unless it gets brought up by someone else.

• Members

Thanks for your replies!

My concern is, really, about the neck. I like to move around fairly quickly sometimes, and I've played some guitars where the finish on the neck was a bit sticky, especially in hot weather.

Cheers!

Glenn

PS, I have a Seagull S12 that I bought at the end of August, and that shine is starting to happen where my arm rests. Given that the S12's tone rocks my boat, I don't care too much. As I mention, I am most concerned with the neck. My hands sweat quite a bit when I am playing, especially recording.

• Members

I don't have one of these, but my son, Richard does. His has the the same shine thing where the right arm rests. It's called Mojo
;)

The thing is a damn tone monster- and they are made to be
played
not gazed upon

Go for it I sez.
:cool:

I am that son, and I claim my ten dollars. Have had a mahogany D-15 for about 3 years. Never had any trouble with the neck- it took a year or so for it to get really silky, but it's great now. Never had any stickiness, but my hands don't sweat unless I'm wearing rubber gloves :)

The satin finish does wear with prolonged contact, yeah, but I like that. John Martyn had a mahogany Martin- in the electric world it'd probably be called a "heavy relic"- I happen to think it looks spiffy. I'd freak out if the finish on my other guitar got marred (and it will some day, it's cedar), but on the 15 it's dignified wear IMO.

Really good sounding guitar, and pretty versatile. Loud as hell, but really benefits from pretty high-tension strings. Had a lower bone saddle and buffalo horn bridge pins fitted (although the plastic ones might appeal more, YMMV) and the truss rod tweaked for a little less relief, and it's rock-solid.

• Members

Not only did mine shine up where my right arm rests, but the back of the neck also got shiny. I like it...very smooth.

Mine developed a crack on the side (where it rests on my leg) but that was before I learned to take my keys out of my pocket before playing. My keys had never been an issue before, but the sides of my D-15 seem pretty thin.

It's a great guitar.

• Members

Hey, Glenn.

Here are a couple of pics (see link below). You can see the infamous "shiny spot" on the top pretty well. I know you were primarily interested in the back of the neck. I took a pic of that too, but I don't think you can really make out much in it.

As others have posted, it shines up too, but doesn't get sticky. I keep it wiped down, so that may be helping, but it has never been a problem.

-m

http://picasaweb.google.com/abmoore/MartinDC15E

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Melandy! I was looking at that guitar online at www.Thomann.de today. It has electronics, right?

Problem now with my offer at this shop is that a case isn't included, and, as far as I've been able to tell, Martin ships these guitars with a case, don't they? So, in that light, the deal he is offering isn't spectacular, and I am left wondering what he's done with the cases for the two guitars I tried yesterday.

I am now wavering toward getting an 000-15 at an internet store, or a D-16RGT. Or, conversely, waiting a while and getting that D-35 I played a few weeks ago.

Or, maybe, just go get a Seagull S6....

Decisions, decisions!;)

Cheers, and, again, thank you!

Glenn

• Members

Problem now with my offer at this shop is that a case isn't included, and, as far as I've been able to tell, Martin ships these guitars with a case, don't they?

When I bought mine, I asked about a case, and the guy at the shop said that they all (Martins) come with cases.

-m

• Members

Hi, again, thanks!

I've decided to order a 000-15 from another shop, which will probably arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I feel all tingly!

And with good reason - I just played one of these for the first time this afternoon. In fact, in a room filled with Martins and Taylors the only two guitars I played were this and the D-15. I kept going back and forth between the two and loving them both.

Archived