Daion guitars!

Hoddy

• Members

Yesterday we went to a friend of our's lake house for a bit of fishing, drinking and jamming. Another guitarist showed up with a 000 Daion...it had a very dark sunburst finish...great looking guitar. This guy is into a lot of Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett and other similar artists, he's got three different bands he's fronting...from an acoustic duo to a five piece band. I got to say that Daion sounded amazing....it was equally nice sounding whether he was flat picking or finger picking. He said it was MIJ back around 1980...anyone have any info or opinions on these guitars?

• Members

Yesterday we went to a friend of our's lake house for a bit of fishing, drinking and jamming. Another guitarist showed up with a 000 Daion...it had a very dark sunburst finish...great looking guitar. This guy is into a lot of Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett and other similar artists, he's got three different bands he's fronting...from an acoustic duo to a five piece band. I got to say that Daion sounded amazing....it was equally nice sounding whether he was flat picking or finger picking. He said it was MIJ back around 1980...anyone have any info or opinions on these guitars?

I'd never heard of them, but you piqued my interest and I found this site:

http://home.att.net/~daion/

• Members

From Wikipedia :

"Dyna Gakki were established in 1972 at Nagano and currently build some of the Fender Japan models and also build some of the Gretsch models as well. Dyna Gakki made the Yamaki/Daion/Joodee/Founder solid body guitars for Daion and also made Greco guitars for Kanda Shokai".

From what I understand, the company was called originally "Yamaki" until Yamaha made them change it. They then became "Daion"

I have a an early 1970's Yamaki AY270S :

yamaki%20003.jpg

yamaki%20007.jpg

yamaki%20004.jpg

Solid cedar top with mahogany back and sides. Very nice tone. I paid $150 for it used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From Wikipedia :

"Dyna Gakki were established in 1972 at Nagano and currently build some of the Fender Japan models and also build some of the Gretsch models as well. Dyna Gakki made the Yamaki/Daion/Joodee/Founder solid body guitars for Daion and also made Greco guitars for Kanda Shokai".

From what I understand, the company was called originally "Yamaki" until Yamaha made them change it. They then became "Daion"

I have a an early 1970's Yamaki AY270S :

yamaki%20003.jpg
yamaki%20007.jpg
yamaki%20004.jpg

Solid cedar top with rosewood back and sides. Very nice tone

Thanks for the info...I'm keeping an eye-out on Ebay for a lefty one.:cool:

• Members

Thanks for the info...I'm keeping an eye-out on Ebay for a lefty one.
:cool:

I hardly ever see Daion/Yamaki's on eBay but I guess they pop up from time to time. I have never seen one like mine for sale anywhere else. The very first "good" guitar I ever had was a new Yamaki dread (Martin copy) with lot's of "bling"...fancy MOP binding and fretmarkers etc...I was only a teenager then so I didn't appreciate it for what it was. I gave it to a friend of mine when he moved away. As I recall it was one of the sweetest sounding guitars I can ever remember playing. I know a woman here who also has a Yamaki from the 70's and it's a beautiful sounding guitar. Very light weight but is in need of a neck reset as it's almost 30 yrs old.

If you see ever one for sale in good condition buy it :)

• Members

Hey! This doesn't really fit in the acoustic forum but I own a Daion Headhunter 555 Semi-Hollowbody Jazz electric guitar that is a fantastic instrument! Truly one of a kind with a beautiful reddish/orange tiger maple finish. I just had it all fixed up and it sounds real nice. I keep it on a stand in my room and never get tired of looking at her. You can see a similar pic on that Daion site someone mentioned. I bet their acoustics were nice as they seemed they knew what they were doing.

Mike

• Members

I remember playing on or two in my day....Local guitar store carried them for a short while. I remember them being a little better than the current Fenders of the day, though I ended up buying a Mahogony Fender instead. At the time I didnt want a knockoff of a Martin "style" guitar. Though in retrospect it prob was a better guitar than the Fender I bought. Oh yeah, they sold for about $200-$250 in the 70's. in comparison, Guild's were $400 plus then.

• Members

I love hearing about these companies. Makes me remember not to dismiss every instrument which is cheap and I don't know the name of.

you`ll be pleased to know there were dozens on makers in Japan in the 60s and 70s.

Archived