...so I played a Guild D-55 this weekend...

EvilTwin

• Members

...and all I have to say is damn.

I love my GAD-25, but the D-55 is in a league of its own. Fender is definitely doing right by the Guild namesake these days.

I have never played a dread that was that rich, yet so balanced. And damn loud, too.

The only cosmetic flaw was a little neck binding done sloppily around the seventh and ninth frets.

Great feeling neck, too (again, I love the GAD's, but the American Guilds have just enough heft to them).

$1,800. Tempting. If you haven't played one, find a dealer. If you are like me and can't buy one of these, it's worth it just to play one for a half-hour.

• Members

Played one when I bought my HD-28 at Elderly. Damn near distracted me from my Martin mission. $1800 is an excellent price.

I was severely tempted to pull out the plastic. I've never seen a new D-55 for under $2K. But I have a wedding to pay off, and I only got my GAD-25 last year, anyway.

Still...what a guitar. It ranks with the Martin OM-21 I played awhile back as my "favorite from a mass builder."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

EvilTwin,

I have to add my 2 cents worth. The Guild D55 is in a field by itself. They offer a hugh volume, and rich tone, but have to be controlled as they can be overpowering. Many refere to them as the Grand Piano of Dreds.. Their string to string balance is outstanding. Their bass is gut rumbleing, ( 1/4 inch scalloped braceing ), the mids sing out, the tribles are like bells. The neck is thin from bow to stern, like a fine electric, and I need no hand adjustment anywhere along the fretboard. I call it a fast picking neck. They have a lot of bling, and still come at a unbeatable price.

I was always a Mohogany player, and still am. But the D55 sold me on the possiblitys of a Rosewood Dred. I had to have one after just one try.

The only negetive I hear, is that they are too heavy, to which I suggest a three-legged stool, or a heavier strap.

Dale.

• Members

The New guild D-55's are nice but --- I bought my '71 D-55 back in 1976 , Brazilian rosewood Bridge - Mastergrade top , just had a Bone nut and saddle installed last Fall . It is an amazing guitar - so way different from any Martin ive ever played --- It looks like the new ones but when you put them side by side , the shape is slighly different , the older model ( mine ) does not have the Pearl inlay ring around the sound hole - The neck is totally different , the neck binding is different ( like the older better ) The new model just looks like a dressed down D-50 , The older Guilds are totally different animals from their D-50 counterpoints -

- Just a bit of Trivia - Who was the first Guild D-55 built for and what is its nick name ?

"Smothers Brothers " ( Dickie ) ---" TV model "

Pictures of the smothers Brothers and the first D-55

http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/gallery_detail.php?id=173

• Members

EvilTwin,

I have to add my 2 cents worth. The Guild D55 is in a field by itself. They offer a hugh volume, and rich tone, but have to be controlled as they can be overpowering. Many refere to them as the Grand Piano of Dreds.. Their string to string balance is outstanding. Their bass is gut rumbleing, ( 1/4 inch scalloped braceing ), the mids sing out, the tribles are like bells. The neck is thin from bow to stern, like a fine electric, and I need no hand adjustment anywhere along the fretboard. I call it a fast picking neck. They have a lot of bling, and still come at a unbeatable price.

I was always a Mohogany player, and still am. But the D55 sold me on the possiblitys of a Rosewood Dred. I had to have one after just one try.

The only negetive I hear, is that they are too heavy, to which I suggest a three-legged stool, or a heavier strap.

Dale.

I was never much into rosewood, either. But after playing the D-55, and also Martin's OM-21, I appreciate it on a new level. I think it's easy to "do rosewood bad," design-wise. But when it's done well...damn.

"Grand piano of dreads" sounds about right to me, though. :D

I got to play a GAD-F40 on Saturday that was interesting, too. The new Guilds are pretty darn nice, IMO.

• Members

Aren't the Tacoma D-55's a bit lighter than their Westerly R.I brothers? I played one about a year ago and my impression was, they were some what lighter than the R.I. D-55's. I recall seeing a D-55 as Tony described in the "Post Pictures of Your Gear Thread". Tony, is that your guitar?

Trina

• Members

Aren't the Tacoma D-55's a bit lighter than their Westerly R.I brothers? I played one about a year ago and my impression was, they were some what lighter than the R.I. D-55's. I recall seeing a D-55 as Tony described in the "
Post Pictures of Your Gear Thread
". Tony, is that your guitar?

Trina

I thought maybe it was Tony who posted a pic of Guild D-55 in the Gear thread, but I was mistaken. Here it is nice - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381609&page=7

• Members

Aren't the Tacoma D-55's a bit lighter than their Westerly R.I brothers? I played one about a year ago and my impression was, they were some what lighter than the R.I. D-55's. I recall seeing a D-55 as Tony described in the "
Post Pictures of Your Gear Thread
". Tony, is that your guitar?

Trina

I can't say the D-55 I played was ridiculously heavy...but it felt solid.

And those are some fine guitars in the link you provided. :thu:

• Members

A very incisive review of a new Guild D-55 can be read - w/pic's HERE.

The bottom line: The sound lives up to the legend and the hoopla. But Fender-made Guilds appear to have a way to go in the finishing department. Certain flaws like mis-aligned truss rod covers and strap pegs that fall out on new $2K+ guitars - should not be let out of the factory - or the store for that matter. Just my opinion.

But for those who know & love the Taylor 814CE, this buyer owns one and makes some interesting comparisons to the Guild D-55. If it were me - for that kind of money - I'd still buy the Guild. The sound lives up to the legend. Old Guilds were like that too. But watch out on the finishing touches.

Come to think of it, old Guilds were like that too.

• Members

A very incisive review of a new Guild D-55 can be read - w/pic's
HERE.

The bottom line: The sound lives up to the legend and the hoopla. But Fender-made Guilds appear to have a way to go in the finishing department. Certain flaws like mis-aligned truss rod covers and strap pegs that fall out on new $2K+ guitars - should not be let out of the factory - or the store for that matter. Just my opinion.

But for those who know & love the Taylor 814CE, this buyer owns one and makes some interesting comparisons to the Guild D-55. If it were me - for that kind of money - I'd still buy the Guild. The sound lives up to the legend. Old Guilds were like that too. But watch out on the finishing touches.

Come to think of it, old Guilds were like that too.

Thanks for the link. :thu:

(That reviewer is right about the Seagull S6+Folk, too. For a little guitar, those suckers project.)

The D-55 I played had a flaw in the fingerboard binding -- the exact same thing the reviewer mentions, actually -- but that was about it. If I had the cash to buy one, I would've done so and called the imperfection a "mark of character." :D

• 2 months later...
  • Members

When Fender bought Guild in the mid-90s, it continued to operate the Westerly plant for a few years. But around the turn of the millennium, Fender closed the Westerly plant and moved Guild production to Fender's facilty in Corona, California. There it remained until a couple of years ago, when Fender bought Tacoma Guitars and moved Guild acoustic production into the old Tacoma facility (in Tacoma).

I have a Westerly Guild D25 and a Corona D50 but haven't had a chance to spend any quality time with a Tacoma-built Guild yet. I look forward to the experience with some fear--I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.

Archived