Working on TE's "The Man With The Green Thumb"

kwakatak

• Members

I learned the main part of it a couple of years ago and put it on the back burner. Recently at the LB Jam though I sat down with SurrealMcCoy, traded some licks and I got the bug to try it out again. In the meantime, Cripes hooked me up with a couple of thumbpicks and I decided to file 'em down and given 'em a try.

It's coming along but I've got a little ways to go with it. The tone is certainly an improvement IMO:

http://media.putfile.com/The-Man-With-The-Green-Thumb

• Members

I'm always working on a tommy-tune or two, too.

Good Luck Neil.

I got some of those Fred Kelly speed picks, too after Cripes recommended them. They take some getting used to, but better than anything I have tried in the past.

Yup. Cripes gave me two different models: a yellow one that seems like a lighter version of the Dunlop that originally soured me off thumbpicks, and an orange one that has a narrower plectrum. I filed the yellow one down with an emery board so that the plectrum barely projects beyond the flesh of my thumb and thinned it down so that it has a little more "give." OTOH I've been pretty successful with the orange one without any modifications.

BTW, this recording was made using the yellow pick. I also added some reverb which in hindsight I'm thinking wasn't so much of a good idea, but I was basically sitting 3' away from my Shure 57 with the gain on the mixer set pretty high and I was getting some room noise. The reverb filter tends to smooth some of that out. I intend to try again in a day or two once I'm a little smoother with the chord changes in the B section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been working on this one a lot lately but haven't had the opportunity to sit in front of the microphone before tonight. I hate the tone (IMO a mahogany 00 would sound better) and recording quality (I can never get enough gain without getting too much boom) but at least the technique seems to be firming up. Here's the second take:

http://media.putfile.com/The-Man-With-The-Green-Thumb---take-2

Archived