Laurindo Almeida: One Note Samba

T.B.

• Members

Laurindo Almeida & The Modern Jazz Quartet performing the 'One Note Samba'. Pay attention to the remarks made by the host of the show ......... snob. :lol:

"Collaboration - The Modern Jazz Quartet & Laurindo Almeida", was recorded in 1964 on Atlantic Records.

MJQ: members

John Lewis (piano, musical director)

Milt Jackson (vibraphone)

Percy Heath (bass)

Kenny Clarke (drums)

• Members

... and I never get tired of seeing it again and again! Great performance of a timeless classic.

Almeida is a monster player! And Jobim is one the greatest song writers ever!!!

Thanks for posting that. Usually when a bossa thread pops up, it's me or Phlat or Pascal ... nice to see someone else digging this incredible music!

• Members

... and I never get tired of seeing it again and again!
Great performance of a timeless classic.

Almeida is a monster player! And Jobim is one the greatest song writers ever!!!

Thanks for posting that. Usually when a bossa thread pops up, it's me or Phlat or Pascal ... nice to see someone else digging this incredible music!

Wed. night is "vinyl" night at my home; we were listening to this record. I wondered if there was a recorded live performance of Almeida & MJQ. Eureka!! I love U-Tube. :love:

Trina

• Members

For those who don't want to click away from here ...

[YOUTUBE]W-9OrHd6QdM[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the master playing it ... notice how relaxed he is ... and that right hand just undulates along with the beat! Right thigh player ... both feet on a box.

[YOUTUBE]ytwSy9qM9Rg[/YOUTUBE]

Heh, a right thigh player.....
:)

Another one to watch and hear is Claire de lune.

Oh, yeah ... right thigh and right foot stool player! :cool:

Clair de lune ...

[YOUTUBE]tl6C8WTnnPQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Laurindo Almeida & The Modern Jazz Quartet performing the 'One Note Samba'. Pay attention to the remarks made by the host of the show ......... snob.
:lol:

Excellent...what an amazing right hand technique! Beautiful tone from that guitar. I love it when he hits the mic and doesn't miss a beat. Not to mention the amazing Modern Jazz Quartet as backup. Thanks for sharing that with us and you are very right about the host.

First of all the guitar has never been a "noble" instrument. :freak:

I did like his comment at the very end: "No picks or plectrums as you'll notice for Laurindo Almeida, he's a fingerstyle guitarist which is the right way to play the guitar".

Who is this guy the guitar/music Nazi? :cop::lol:

• Members

Tomoko Block once told me,

"Bossa Nova isn't Jazz. It's better than Jazz!"

I think I could agree with that! :cool:

I've read somewhere that Jobim never considered himself a jazz composer or musician. I guess the Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd connection and later instrumental jazz love affair with bossa nova has made most folks think of it as "jazz" and not the finely crafted pop music that it most definitely is imo.

Last night, after reading this thread, I pulled out the fake book and played through One Note Samba (as many times as I could before passing out). I recall years ago that it was the first Jobim tune I ever tried to learn. I remember thinking ... oh, how clever--one note and the chords just drift along underneath. The B section still doesn't want to get under my fingers. :p

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcellis

Tomoko Block once told me,

"Bossa Nova isn't Jazz.

I think I could agree with that!
:cool:

I've read somewhere that Jobim never considered himself a jazz composer or musician. I guess the Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd connection and later instrumental jazz love affair with bossa nova has made most folks think of it as "jazz" and not the finely crafted pop music that it most definitely is imo.

Hm. OK, I don't have an issue with this line of thinking. In terms of harmonic structure, Bossa Nova has a great deal in common with jazz, in its sophisticated use of seventh and extended chords. I can see why "Jazz" musicians -like Getz and Byrd- would have an affinity for the music. I think some have forgotten drums and percussion are not considered essential Bossa Nova instruments either, and Jobim wrote all of his composition for piano, he recorded most of his music playing piano. What I'm trying to say I guess, there's been a lot of cross pollination of musical styles in this Hemisphere. Composers of the Great American Songbook like Sammy Cahn, Rogers & Hart, George & Ira Gershwin, Johnny Mercer and Cole Porter didn't considered themselves jazz songwriters, but their music is closely associated with the genre.

I think the public and record companies especially (for economical, political, and social concerns) have always felt the need categorize and put musicians in a box. It's the reason why folks ran Bob Dylan out on a rail when he dared to pick up an electric guitar. The same can be said when many criticized Miles Davis album, Sketche of Spain - they called it "elevated light music........ less improvisational". ;)

Trina

• Members

I think I could agree with that!
:cool:

Last night, after reading this thread, I pulled out the fake book and played through One Note Samba (as many times as I could before passing out). I recall years ago that it was the first Jobim tune I ever tried to learn. I remember thinking ... oh, how clever--one note and the chords just drift along underneath. The B section still doesn't want to get under my fingers.
:p

Stackabones I always love your post... can you suggest me a couple of albums "featuring" great bossa nylon string playing?

Did you ever heard of Teofilo Chantre from Cape Verde? Really good singer, good nylon string guitar all over the albums.

• Members

Cool video...and yes, the announcer is an absolute snob. :D

I don't think the MJQ add anything to Almeida's performance. I'd rather hear him play it solo or with only a drummer.

I have a 'various artists' CD lying around here somewhere (hmmm where did I put it...? :D) with an Almeida tune which is just that, what you described. It's called 'Artistry in Rhythm', features Almeida playing a very pretty unaccompanied intro before seguing into a bossa rhythm accompanied by some percussion (and perhaps double bass as well... not sure). The way he pushes the beat in that tune is something else, really cool to hear.

Ironically, the CD is called 'Jazz Guitar Greats' or something to that effect. :p

I agree with the 'bossa isn't jazz' sentiment, though bossa has certainly had a lasting influence on jazz.

Archived