Do you have any jazzy Christmas tabs?

flip333

• Members

One of the best that I have struggled with for several years in Mark Hanson's "Boogie Woogie Jingle Bells". It is a bit of a finger buster to keep the boogie bass line going while playing over the top. Unfortunately it is copy writed so I can't share the tab but it is in his Fingerstyle Yule book.

If you want "jazzy" Mark also does some great arrangements with his wife on flute, mostly pretty advanced (and again, copywrited) but they are not really jazz pieces.

• Members

"Christmas jazz" is a musical and a religious blasphemy.

Some things should never be mixed. Kinda like Mr. Rogers in a Speedo.

I'm playing a chord melody arrangement of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire and so on) for my proficiency test in two weeks...

And I'm in love with the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't enjoy at least one song from it.

• Members

I'm playing a chord melody arrangement of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire and so on) for my proficiency test in two weeks...

And I'm in love with the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't enjoy at least one song from it.

There's a couple good ones I'd like to try someday! Actually, I have a good jazz book that helps me make my own chord melody arrangements with the backcycling technique using II-V substitutions. But that really takes a lot of work! Its hard enough to learn someone else's arrangement.

Best wishes on your test Ellen!

flip

• Members

Hey Ellen, Nice choice! "The Christmas Song" would certainly demonstrate proficiency.

I've sent you a PM.

Branson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I too love to play The Christmas Song is jazz chord melody format, if fact, is there any other way to play that song? And I agree, jazz and Christmas does go very well and Vince Guaraldi is the perfect example. I also have Oscar Peterson's Christmas album which is nice to listen too. I also have a recording of Bill Evans playing some Christmas jazz...VERY VERY nice...

Archived