Thinking of taking on a small body hog fingerpicker

kwakatak

• Members

Any recommendations?

I love my OM-03R for "modern fingerstyle" but it's a little too muddy for alternating bass stuff IMO. I can't help but wonder how a "drier" hog tone would sound - preferably something with more of a "vintage" tone (strong bass and fundamental; aka "woody") as opposed to the "modern" tone (all mids and treble with a chime-like quality; aka "bell-like.")

I love the body size and tonal balance though and would never dream of giving my rosewood OM, so I was thinking of adding something in an OM/000 size with hog or sapele back & sides and either spruce or hog/sapele top. Price is a big factor in selling the idea to both my buyer's remorse and my wife so I'm thinking $700 would be the absolute highest I would go. That being said, I'm considering the following models:

- Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500M

I've played the "R" and it was a cannon. The tone was really close to that "vintage" thing I alluded to earlier - in part due to the V-shaped neck - but there were still some rosewood attributes that are unnecessary. It's nearly impossible to find anything around here other than the DR's to play though.

- Larrivee OM-03 (preferably used)

I've played the old hog standards and like the strong mids and fundamentals for the fingerpicking stuff, but the "R" got the nod because strumming sounded fuller and songs with altered tuning just shimmered. OTOH, I recently picked up someone else's hog/bearclawed sitka OM-03 at the LB jam and couldn't put it down. Still, it sounded a bit "modern" and I can't help but think that the Epi would be louder, which is a big draw for me.

- Guild GAD-30

I hear great things about the GAD-30R and am curious to try the hog version out based on reputation alone.

...then of course GAS gets the better of me and I wonder if there's any way to find a used Martin 000-15 out there. I don't care if it's an "S" or not because I've never played one. The 14-fretter has a good tone and the narrow nut width really doesn't affect me; I still fingerpick on my dread just to keep in practice on the narrow fretboard even if the tone doesn't suit the style.

Okay, now for the "catch". I'm toying with my wife's money here and she's always told me that I have enough guitars, so the cheaper the better. I think that's in the musician's wife's handbook, but I have plans to take my playing to another level this year so it's justified, right? ;)

• Members

Hey Neil,

I am also thinking of a fingerpicker. After some research, I had decided that what I would really like is a old martin New Yorker (016NY). They are very light, and have very good response, a wide neck (1 7/8) and are considered to be tops for finger picking. They are out of production, and any on the used market are very expensive. Morgan Monroe and Blueridge have a couple of good selections though. Blueridge has the BR 341/361 and Morgan Monroe has the MV-01 and Blues 32. The Morgan Monroes do not have the wider neck. I think you can get the BRs for about $750 and the MMs for about $400.

I do the alternating thumb style also (Travis/Atkins etc) and have not tried either of these yet. So far, of the guitars I have had, the very best for that style has been a Martin DM. I gave it to my son, but it was perfect for that style. Very heavy bass (deeper than a D28), and the neck felt right.

Good luck

• Members

Quote; from your post " I can't help but wonder how a "drier" hog tone would sound - preferably something with more of a "vintage" tone (strong bass and fundamental; aka "woody") "

Neil, talk to LB............He might have just the thing your looking for....

• Members

I would at least consider some of the Gibsons. I own an LC-1 and It is the main guitar I gig with--all fingerpicking and strumming with a thumbpick and fingers. The LC-1 is around $2,000 new

I use an older Gibson LG2 for country blues. Lots of alternating bass and about as woody and earthy a sound as you can get.

*Warning* you will want to play any used older Gibson first as their sound can be very different even with the same model. I got very lucky when my uncle picked up the one I have.

They might not be to your liking, but at least try 'em ...

• Members

Hi Neil. I haven't played the Epi, but I have played the OM-03 and the GAD-30. The GAD-30 is a fine guitar, very well made, 3/4" nut, rings like a bell, sounded nearly as nice as some American Guild's I have played. The quality control on the Chinese GAD's is amazing, I think. I really haven't played a bad one. The OM-03 to my ear had somewhat less clarity and volume but a nice woody tone. I am not sure it would take you to a much different place than your OM-03R. The Larrivee OM-03's have more of what I would call a modern tone than the Martin 15 and 16 series or the GAD. I would highly recommend the GAD-30. It plays and looks like a guitar twice the price. I have played several in different stores and they all sounded good. I believe that Guild also makes an all mahogany version of the GAD-30 as well.

I am not sure of the budget here, and I know you are considering a Martin 15 series, but you might want to check out the Martin OOO-16GT or, even better, if you can find a nice used OM-16GT (same as the 000 but with the longer scale; Martin discontinued the OM-16GT and replaced it with the OOO-16GT). They have better bracing than the 15 series, and they use better wood. They use Micarta fretboards and bridges if that's a problem, but I love my OM-16GT. It's almost always the first guitar I pick up to play on any given day. It has that warm but clear Martin woody mahogany tone that I find perfect for fingerstyle blues and is just so much fun to play. I've seen the 000-16GT priced not that much higher than the OM-03 and the GAD-30. If that's out of the question pricewise, you can't go wrong with a Martin 15 series or the GAD-30 IMO.

Sorry. Didn't intend to be so verbose.

• Members

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just out of curiousity, by modern fingerstyle, do you mean Andy McKee-style stuff?

Maybe that's not the best description. I play a lot of Tommy Emmanuel's songs from his album "Only" which I consider to be more pop/jazz-oriented. I like the OM-03R for some of the percussive Andy Mckee-type stuff but I feel more comfortable beating on my Tak.

Archived