Bottleneck Slide Blues

T.B.

• Members

Very nice playing and singin'! That's a cool little Stella and if you play country blues that the guitar you want.
:thu:

Here is a fella you might know doing his take on "
Sittin' On Top Of The World
" on a Martin 000-15 (2007 vintage)
;)

Yeah, that guy looks familiar; I like the 07 vintage ax and the play-in too. :cool: I noticed you play your pipe slide on your baby finger. I'll have to go out and test some different types of materials ceramic, brass, glass, steel etc, etc. Or, I may have one made most of the pipe slides I've tried are too big for my baby/ring finger, too heavy or both.

Trina

• Members

I kinda came enamored with Stovepipes guitars. I should mention this guy can play. My New Year resolution for playing guitar is
to learn slide.

Trina

Me, too, but wasn't exactly a NY resolution for me. Just decided since my beater has the high-action from hell, but is a tone monster, I'd learn slide and let that git be a slide axe instead of trashing it. It's too painful to play any other way and too cheap to be worth a neck reset.

Haven't learned to use pipe slide on my pinky yet, but am liking a brass one that I got. It's a little heavy, but I like the sound better than a glass "blues bottle" that I have.

Maybe when I get better at this, I'll change my mind about which slide I like best, but in the meantime I'm having fun learning.

• Members

Yeah, that guy looks familiar; I like the 07 vintage ax and the play-in too.
:cool:
I noticed you play your pipe slide on your baby finger. I'll have to go out and test some different types of materials ceramic, brass, glass, steel etc, etc. Or, I may have one made most of the pipe slides I've tried are too big for my baby/ring finger, too heavy or both.

Trina

Speaking as someone who has no formal training in this....I use a chromed steel generic Jim Dunlop slide you can buy at any music store for $5.00.

When I started playing slide as a teenager I tried all kinds of things from actual bottle neck, coricidine bottles and brass. I eventually found that this type of slide works best for me on both electric and acoustic guitar. I use a very light touch and generally jeep my action pretty low compared to most real "bottleneck" players but like anything else you have to practice it until you find what works best for you. On electric guitar I generally play slide in standard tuning with a pick like Mick Taylor (from the Stones). For acoustic I prefer using fingers and open "G" or open "D" tunings.

The best thing to do T.B. is to go to the store and try different size slides out to find what fits you best. Then...tune one of your "beaters" to open G and start wailing! ;)

If you have time download this MP3 I have attached of me playing "Fixin' To Die" played in open "D". I stricky use the fingers on my picking hand only. :)

• Members

Me, too, but wasn't exactly a NY resolution for me. Just decided since my beater has the high-action from hell, but is a tone monster, I'd learn slide and let that git be a slide axe instead of trashing it. It's too painful to play any other way and too cheap to be worth a neck reset.

Haven't learned to use pipe slide on my pinky yet, but am liking a brass one that I got. It's a little heavy, but I like the sound better than a glass "blues bottle" that I have.

Maybe when I get better at this, I'll change my mind about which slide I like best, but in the meantime I'm having fun learning.

I've got a box full of slides, but my favs are heavy homemade wine bottle necks. I make up a half dozen or so at a time (because I only get about 50 percent yield). There are only a few bottles that give me what I want - I put the empties away until I decide to put on the gloves and safety glasses and start cutting.

We saw Rory Block ten or so years ago when she was first starting to play slide and she told a wonderful story about having her car worked on and trying her mechanic's deep sockets on her finger until she found one that would work, then sweet talking him out of it. She, like Bonnie Raitt and many others plays on her ring finger - I'm a pinkie sort of guy.

Wish I could view these vids (they are blocked on my work PC) - I'll check them out tonight.

• Members

I've got a box full of slides, but my favs are heavy homemade wine bottle necks. I make up a half dozen or so at a time (because I only get about 50 percent yield). There are only a few bottles that give me what I want - I put the empties away until I decide to put on the gloves and safety glasses and start cutting.

We saw Rory Block ten or so years ago when she was first starting to play slide and she told a wonderful story about having her car worked on and trying her mechanic's deep sockets on her finger until she found one that would work, then sweet talking him out of it. She, like Bonnie Raitt and many others plays on her ring finger - I'm a pinkie sort of guy.

Wish I could view these vids (they are blocked on my work PC) - I'll check them out tonight.

I guess she got the idea from Lowell George who used a socket.

I use a Dunlop #228 heavy chrome steel slide on my pinky; this way I can play chords as well without the slide getting in the way.

• Members

Hey One of my resolutions was to learn to play Slide too.

So far so.... Well, it's stoped sounding like I'm strangling a cat, so I guess that's progress.
:)

Better progress than I'm making. My slide playing still sounds like the murder of multiple felines. :freak:

• Members

Better progress than I'm making. My slide playing still sounds like the murder of multiple felines.
:freak:

When I get the reso out my cat first chases the "Tinker Bells" (little light flashes on the walls and ceiling), then when I start playing he decides it's time to go outside and see if there are any lady cats around.

• Members

I agree. Can I add it to your Annex folder? btw - there is some other sweet sliding in JD-Drafter's folder - his dad plays a pretty mean lap style.

Oh yes please feel free to download it and put in the Annex. It's out there for anyone to download if they want to. :)

Thanks Freeman!

Archived