Parkwood 320M vs. Others?

symphonix3

• Members

First off, thanks for all the informative posts on this board. I've been scouring them for hours and have found a lot of useful info.

Here's my story. I play a Taylor 410 (such a nice guitar...before they re-numbered everything and priced themselves out of my market...lol) but I leave it at the church almost all the time. I wanted to buy another guitar to keep at home for two reasons.

1) So my wife can begin (again) to learn to play.

2) So when I pick it up, I actually like to play it!

I've got about $500 to spend on this guitar (which will need to include a hard shell case - dry climate in Coloardo so I can't leave it out.) My concerns are that the neck isn't too wide for her and she probably wouldn't feel comfortable on a large body (jumbo.) Besides that, it's free game.

Enter the Parkwood 320M -

http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/acoustics/view.asp?product_id=7

I went to the store to play a Seagul and other $500ish guitars and found this Parkwood. It's very bright and "poppy." It's also easy to play - small neck, small body. I talked the guy at Guitar Center (I know...I'm sorry) down to $500 with a case and tax included.

So my question is this. What other guitars should I try and play before pulling the trigger on the Parkwood?

• Members

I have a Seagull Artist series that I regret buying. I bought into all the hype (well I guess it isn't hype because it's true) about how great they are for the money, blah, blah, blah. My mistake was buying one without playing one.

Of course it a wonderful guitar, but the neck is too wide for my hands and I made the realization that full size accoustics are just not comfortable for me to play with the big, wide bodies.

Recently I bought a Taylor Big Baby and this is the perfect accoustic for me.

The neck is not too wide and I really like the 000 body size. Some folks think they sound too bright, but they are really nice, easy playing guitars that are definitely in your price range.

• Members

Dan Hall said:

"Wait for Babablowfish to chime in here. He's the resident Parkwood guy. He will give you permission to buy it I'm sure."

Well, you certainly don't need my permission, but it does sound like you would be getting a really good guitar at a very good price. I love my Parkwood Jumbo and everywhere I play folks comment on how great it sounds and looks. Parkwood is definitely making a name for itself - I noticed that whereas my Jumbo says "Cort" inside and has a "C" on the kneck heel, now they say "Parkwood" and have a "W" I think this may reflect the confidence Cort has that the Parkwood is getting accepted as a "player."

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to go with. Let us kow and be sure to post pictures.

• Members
What do you reccomend in that price range, Dan?

I can't, I'm pretty new too, and I've been looking in a much higher bracket. All I can do is Parrot what I've heard here. I've been really impressed with the whole Canadian phenomenon these days, although all I've played have been the Larrivees and Morgans. I just don't think your $500 will stretch to a new Larrivee OM-03. It will reach a used one. You would be very happy with that choice. The point though, and my reason for suggesting that Baba would give you permission is that you already LIKE the Parkwood. Baba can simply affirm that you aren't doing something foolish. Another fellow on here just bought an extraordinary Parkwood PW-LE061 Tasmanian Blackwood guitar that has disrupted my sleep. It is simply breathtaking visually. Most affirm it's also outasite tonally too. Go with what's on your heart.

• Members

I can't, I'm pretty new too, and I've been looking in a much higher bracket. All I can do is Parrot what I've heard here. I've been really impressed with the whole Canadian phenomenon these days, although all I've played have been the Larrivees and Morgans. I just don't think your $500 will stretch to a new Larrivee OM-03. It will reach a used one. You would be very happy with that choice. The point though, and my reason for suggesting that Baba would give you permission is that you already LIKE the Parkwood. Baba can simply affirm that you aren't doing something foolish. Another fellow on here just bought an extraordinary Parkwood PW-LE061 Tasmanian Blackwood guitar that has disrupted my sleep. It is simply breathtaking visually. Most affirm it's also outasite tonally too. Go with what's on your heart.

Nice post. I read a ton about the Larivee OM-03 on this board. Does GC sell them? I'd like to play one before I up my $500 price point. ;) My only experience with Larivee is a freind's guitar (not sure the model) from about 6-7 years ago. It didn't even compare with my Taylor althoughit was about the same price. But again this was a long time ago and probably not the same model.

• Members

I have one of the following:

http://www.guitarconnection.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EARTH200GC&Category_Code=EARTH

it's w/HSC would fit your price - it is a great fit for when you just want to get comfortable on the couch and pluck away. Your wife might find it more easy to play also.

It will not have bottom end of a dreadnought tho'. Cort seems to built a solid guitar and the PW's are more proof of that.

• Members

Nice post. I read a ton about the Larivee OM-03 on this board. Does GC sell them? I'd like to play one before I up my $500 price point.
;)
My only experience with Larivee is a freind's guitar (not sure the model) from about 6-7 years ago. It didn't even compare with my Taylor althoughit was about the same price. But again this was a long time ago and probably not the same model.

The Parkwood is an excellent choice. You want a nice thin neck - the Parkwood as a 1 11/16" nut vs. a 1 3/4" nut on the Larrivee. I think your wife may like the neck on the Parkwood better based on your original post. The Larrivee neck is a bit wide and suited for fingerstyle.

I bought a used Larrivee OM-03 from Jason at www.notableguitars.com Thursday night (FedEx has it right now). I was seriously considering a Parkwood 320M before I bought the Larrivee. I really like the feel and sound of the Parkwood, but Jason gave me a great deal.

Most OM sized guitars will have 1 3/4" nuts.

Here is the actual Parkwood website: www.parkwoodguitars.com

• Members

Here's one more possibility. Musician's Friend has a Breedlove Atlas Series AC200/SM for $499.99 with shipping and a gig bag:
. You might buy it with the gig bag for now and start saving for a hard shell case.

That's a great suggestion.

I'm pretty sure that model Breedlove has laminate sides and backs. The Parkwood is all solid wood construction. It comes with a gig bag too. I played two Parkwood PW320M's. I was impressed with the playability and tone. As stated previously, I came very close to buying one.

Breedlove makes some nice guitars too.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I've only heard good things about the Parkwood. Since you asked for other suggestions in the $500 range, you should consider Walden, Epiphone Masterbilt, and Guild GAD. Waldens lower end models combing a smaller body style with a 1 11/16 width thin profile neck. I don't know the nut width on the Guild or Epiphone, but you can find them in the slightly maller body sizes also.

I'm not saying not to get the Parkwood, just offering other lines for consideration.

• Members

I read a ton about the Larivee OM-03 on this board. Does GC sell them? I'd like to play one before I up my $500 price point.
;)
My only experience with Larivee is a freind's guitar (not sure the model) from about 6-7 years ago. It didn't even compare with my Taylor althoughit was about the same price. But again this was a long time ago and probably not the same model.

Symphonix, you mentioned being in Colorado. Don't know what part of the state you're in (I'm waaaaay out east) but there are several really fine stores here that sell Larrivee - worth a visit even if you don't buy. Old Towne Pickin' Parlor in Arvada is a very cool store with helpful people. In Colorado Springs there's Tejon Street Music - looks nice tho I've only been there once, briefly. There's Woodsongs in Boulder, very nice store. I would certainly check some of these out if you can, if only for the experience.

Archived