Back in the saddle.

daklander

• Members

I forgot how sore one's fingers can be....

Several months ago the regular gig I had ended and, along with some other personal things happening, caused me to lose interest, pretty much quit playing, and the guitars were left alone. I don't think I picked one up more than 2 or 3 times in 90 days or better. Well, a week ago I got a message via my myspace site asking if I'd be interested in playing a coffee shop gig. (Tips, food & coffee) I thought "what the hell" so I answered and went in to talk to the entertainment manager who requested an audition, that after the owner has heard what I do... :freak: Anyway they had a house guitar there so I did played a tune and was told I'd have a slot, maybe 2 during February. That got me to getting the guitars back out of the cases and tuned, the 12 string restrung, the mando retuned and the set list worked on, along with some reprises of some tunes I haven't done for years, including some co-writes, in preparation for the gig scheduled on February 15th.

The venue doesn't have a PA system, they borrow as needed from the GC in the same center but I figured first time around I'd take my own. I hate doing what are, essentially, freebies but do want to get back into the local scene instead of driving out of town so I'll try leverage this into local paying gigs again. We'll see....

Anyway, you guys have helped keep me sane and I thank you for that.

Damn! My fingers are sore. :cry:

• Members

Congrats!!! :rawk:

That is so cool daklander...playing in a nice coffee shop for tips and food is something I would love to do. I am so happy for you! You never know it might turn into a paying gig..or at least give you a chance to work towards one by getting out there and playing. :thu:

I haven't had a gig since November...sort of the same reasons you gave, plus I am fed up with playing for drunks in saloons...and sports bars. It looks like my blues duo has bit the dust too. Another added obstacle here is the weather. It's horrible here in winter..no one goes out. My goal for the spring is to find a couple of steady coffee shop gigs. I have a cheap home demo recorded I just need to get it out there to some venues. :thu:

All the best!

OGP

• Members

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mrmoe, Thanks, If you have a chance can you send out "Three Chord Cowboy" and "Do I Look Good In Blue" again? I know I have your tunes somewhere on one of my PCs hard drives but haven't been able to find them and now that I'm going to get back into it I'd still like to add them to my set list. I have lots of storage so won't have problems with the mp3 files and could also use the charts again, if you don't mind.

daklander at yahoo dot com or the same name at myway dot com will get them to me.

myway has 125MB of storage with a 10MB per message allowance.

Archived