I think I might have damaged my acoustic pickup

RadiationNation

• Members

So I installed my new Martin Thinline Goldplus in my acoustic this weekend (which I've never done), when lo and behold, after a terrifying hour or so of drilling, soldering, etc, I plugged in the finished product only hear HUMMMMMMMMMM. It appears to be a grounding issue as when I touch the end jack and the strings at the same time, it dies down, but the solder from the pickup ground to the preamp seemed pretty solid when I installed it. The thing I'm worried about right now is that maybe I damaged the part that goes under the saddle when installing it. I didn't notice any tears, but there did appear to be a few light scratches. Obviously I'm hoping that's not the problem, as that would mean I'd have to replace the whole thing, but other than that I can't imagine what it could be.

Help me plz. :cry:

• Members

Hi mate, I'm heading out so typing this in a hurry, but;

Check your saddle isn't too tight in the slot....if the slot expands due to humidity it can stop it vibrating on the peizo element, less pressure, no ground and it will buzz.
Sand the saddle a little to let it sit on the pickup.
Likewise if the bottom of the saddle isn't perfectly flat, so check that too.

Tears in the foil make a buzz so check them, even tiny ones.
Does it go away if you touch the jack socket with your fingers?

Sorry if I asked something you had explained already, I am halfway out the door as I type this lol!

• Members

Hi mate, I'm heading out so typing this in a hurry, but;

Check your saddle isn't too tight in the slot....if the slot expands due to humidity it can stop it vibrating on the peizo element, less pressure, no ground and it will buzz.

Sand the saddle a little to let it sit on the pickup.

Likewise if the bottom of the saddle isn't perfectly flat, so check that too.

Tears in the foil make a buzz so check them, even tiny ones.

Does it go away if you touch the jack socket with your fingers?

Sorry if I asked something you had explained already, I am halfway out the door as I type this lol!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the buzz goes away when I touch the jack with my finger, which is why I figured it must be a grounding thing.

Archived