New acoustic for $200 range

Rocker104

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

Alavarez, Johnson, Washburn, Oscar Schmidt, Yamaha, Art & Lutherie are some names that come to mind in your price range. I hear that there is a Yamaha guitar with a solid spruce top out there that sells for about $199 but for the life of me I can't recall the model number. Also what size of guitar do you like? Do you strum or play fingerstyle? Do you need it be plugged in to play live or are you strictly an at "home player". These factors are also important in deciding what guitar to buy, not just the price.

Good luck!

OGP

• Members
  • Members

In that range, Walden (Several to choose from), Yamaha, Alvarez (RD20), Washburn D10S.

My choice would be something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Walden-D550-Solid-Spruce-Mahogany-guitar-W-gigbag_W0QQitemZ360012741620QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem but tastes vary. Search Ebay for "walden guitar" and you'll find a bunch within your price range.

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

I hear that there is a Yamaha guitar with a solid spruce top out there that sells for about $199 but for the life of me I can't recall the model number.

Good luck!

OGP

Yamaha FG700S in the natural top. I played one of these and was amazed at the sound, especially for the money, but the sound is really good regardless of the money.

I would also look at the Walden G570.

All suggestions above are good, though some may be a wee bit over your $199 limit.

Best,

Bill

Edit: I see that some responses have already linked to the Yamaha FG700S. Shows that it has a lot of appreciation around here. Also, check out the other Yammie Tina linked, the F335. Laminate top, but it gets a lot of praise.

• Members

I don't have any way of knowing if you have a Hasting's store anywhere near you, but, if you do, check their acoustics out, particularly the Telluride brand. They are, to the best of my knowledge, the ONLY retailer for this brand in the U.S.. The TD-5CE is a beautiful guitar and sells new for $199 (see my review on this site), and I know that they have several other Telluride models to choose from that are less expensive,although, again, in this price range, quality will vary from one to another of the same model. I know that there is also at least one used Telluride up on ebay right now.

• Members

Another vote for Yamaha. About a year ago, Guitar Center had a special where you got a free guitar if you bought a box of 10 D'addario EXP acoustic strings. I got one, I think the model is F325, or F310. Anyway, laminated spruce top dreadnought. Sounds and plays pretty darn good and makes a great campfire/beater. I think it usually sells for $100 to $150, so I'm sure you can pick up a pretty nice Yamaha for two bills.

• Members

check these out

http://www.ibanez.com/acoustic/guitar.aspx?m=EW20ASNT

(you can get it for $200)

I own one, IMHO the best thing available for $200, it's way-under priced, only thing bad is there are no electronics, add another $50-$100 for pickups (depending on what you get)

on the other hand here is a guitar that it seems everyone in my band has fallen in love with, it has an arched top, great electronics and a very "Taylorish" like neck. But I honestly like the pure sound from the Ibanez better :idk:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Performer-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512177

Just remember $200 isn't a lot of money and at this price range quality of construction varies from unit to unit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

alvarez rd-10 is what i have after the neck was adjusted it sounded better than my 400 tak does. also some of the corts are great too and aria aw-10 is an awesome deal for 196 bucks my wife plays it more than she does her washburn . lottsa choices out there i wouldent buy one without playing it first i have always had better luck at the ma and pa shops. not guitar center where it is like a gaint playground like the one in toledo

Archived