LR Baggs M1 Active question

melandy

• Members

So the Baggs M1 active comes with an install kit w/ endpin jack and all that jazz.

What if you install it in one guitar, but decide that you want to use it in another guitar... not for a permanent install, but just to use the other git amplified for a day or so.

Can you get a cable with the right ends (3.5mm to 1/4 inch???) and just let it run out the sound hole, or do you have to get another endpin jack & wiring assembly?

If you can just run a wire out the sound hole, does the wire get in the way?

Thanks,

-A

• Members

I think you can use it either way.

I am seriously considering buying one for a permanent install in my Larrivee. The LR Baggs website claims you don't need a preamp with the LR Baggs M1 Active. They get great reviews.

The other option I am considering is a K&K Mini with a LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI.

• Members

I've used it both as a perminent install and a temporary. You can get an extra assembly for other temporary mounts. Right now I have mine in a Guild GAD30R and am very impressed with the sound. It sounds much more fulller than the Baggs ribbon that mine came with. I plan to get a secondary hookup in case I want to move it to a second guitar. That's only because I'm that much pleased with the sound I get from it.

• Members

I've used it both as a perminent install and a temporary. You can get an extra assembly for other temporary mounts. Right now I have mine in a Guild GAD30R and am very impressed with the sound. It sounds much more fulller than the Baggs ribbon that mine came with. I plan to get a secondary hookup in case I want to move it to a second guitar. That's only because I'm that much pleased with the sound I get from it.

Do you use a preamp or do you run it straight into a PA or an amp?

• Members

i have a takemine pickup which is basically a rebadged lr baggs m1 active.... i run the cables out the soundhole when im using it at gigs and remove it when i playing at other times... i run in straigth into the pa at the mo but i think your will get a even better sound running it thou a lr baggs di preamp thingy

• Members

Do you use a preamp or do you run it straight into a PA or an amp?

I have my M1 hardwired into my Masterbilt. I don't really gig at this point however, I've seen various folk artists using this pickup and often run this straight into the PA because they feel the pickup sounds good enough to do so without a preamp. However, a preamp or PADI system can be a nice touch. Other acoustic pickups I've owned definitely need the PADI.

• Members

If it's like my M1 passive it should come with both the pre-wired endpin and a decent lead both of which end in an 1/8th of an inch jack which plugs into the pickup.

You could install the endpin in one guitar, unplug the pickup from it, remove and use in another guitar with the supplied cable which ends in a normal 1/4 inch jack. The supplied lead isn't very long though, 6ft I think from memory.

I bet you can get spare prewired endpins, try blue star music they carry lots of variations on the Baggs products not shown on the Baggs website.

• Members

I used mine (see avatar) with the cable hanging out for about a year. A little tape helps keep it out of the way.

The cable that comes with it allows for installation anywhere in the guitar. You may want to install it somewhere other than the endpin. Also, it just plugs in to the chord, so its easy to remove in and out.

You get an allen wrench to adjust the pole pieces. I adjust the G up towards the string (better response). Each guitar may be different. Seems to balance the sound better.

As you can see here,

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/pickups_m1.shtml

the pickup is fully adjustable. My guitar teacher is an electric/acoustic player and he felt that it could use some help going to his amp to increase the output.

The manufacturer recommends connecting it to "high impedence" inputs like a Para1 to get the full value of the pickup.

By the way, it does pick up guitar taping and almost 0 feedback of any kind. It actually sounds pretty good thru my cheap Fender amp. Keeps its acoustic sound. When I play it thru a tube amp it really sounds good.

• Members

Hud, I have the m1 active in my guitar and have used it without a preamp with some pretty good results. But with a preamp it really shines and blows away most dual source systems out there. I'd recommend it very highly.

Excellent.

Thanks for all the info folks.

• Members

. . . I think the tri-ax is the lr baggs m1 rebadged and a bit cheaper

Yes and no. Yes it's the same pickup but no it's not cheaper. It's actually more expensive. The Baggs is readily available for under $140. You'll be lucky to find the Takamine for less than $170. It usually retails in the neighborhood of $200 (Elderly's price, for example). Maybe the Baggs and some paint? ;)

• Members

Yes and no. Yes it's the same pickup but no it's not cheaper. It's actually more expensive. The Baggs is readily available for under $140. You'll be lucky to find the Takamine for less than $170. It usually retails in the neighborhood of $200 (Elderly's price, for example). Maybe the Baggs and some paint?
;)

Just to clarify, the Tak Tri-ax is a rebranded Baggs M1 Active, not an M1 Passive.

From what I've found from limited searching the bottom end for both the Tri-ax and M1 Active is $170. If you know where to get an M1 Active for $140, then hook us up with a link. The black plastic on the Tak isn't worth $30 to me.

Thanks,

-A

• Members

Sorry for the confusion. The $140 was for the passive version. However, the Baggs version is still normally cheaper. For example, Elderly has the M1 active for $169 and the Takamine Tri-Ax for $199. Since I found the Takamine for $169, it should be possible to find the Baggs for a bit less than that.

• Members

I bought my m1 active from shoreline and recommend that anyone else do the same due to the phenomenal customer service and free shipping. Pretty standard price at $169 for the active version.

check 'em out at shorelinemusic.com

Archived