Babicz guitars-strange saddle set up?

Davepch

• Members

I think Martin is using his adjustable neck on one of their models. I may be wrong.......

Nope, you're correct. They offer it on an OM model. I think I read a review in Acoustic Guitar and they liked the feature. May repulse purists, but imagine being able to adjust action with a twist of a hex wrench.

• Members

I think he is an innovative person. The purists will argue all day long - cutaways, onboards, adjustable gizmos, etc. - that innovation is just gimmick. They aren't completely wrong as some give no great advantages above traditional designs. But, the adjustable neck is, IMO, the next step up from the bolt-on neck, which transcends the permanently attached glued neck. As far as the fan bridge goes, well, that would take a whole lot of convincing to get me to see the advantage of that innovation. I'm still on the asthetic side of traditional looks where that thing is concerned.

• Members

I have a Babicz Tribeca and it is sweet. It's my workhorse, go anywhere guitar. The Neck adjusts up and down for string height adjustment. Yup a twist up on the adjuster and it turns into a Slide play'n Machine. The Bridge is adjustable as to tweak or intonation any time you want/need to...........

• Members

I've only had one experience with a Babicz. It was a used dread, solid spruce over solid (as far as I could tell) rosewood, at Guitar Center. The fit and finish was nice, very clean. The sound was less than inspiring though. Lacked the deep resonant tone of similarly priced dreads that I had played.

I can see the use for the adjustable neck for those who would use it, but I set my action and leave it so the ability to adjust on the fly isn't a big deal for me. The strange string anchors didn't seem to make a difference as far as I could tell. The guitar also felt extremely heavy compared to the others I played that day (I'm unsure if it is the extra hardware for the adjustable neck and the string system or if it was just built heavily).

But that's just my experience with one guitar. I wouldn't want to make a generalizing statements about Babicz guitars in general without playing a selection of them (even the "big guys" make a dud every once in awhile!).

• Members

I've tried a few different models (they are easily available in this neck of the woods - upstate NY - Babicz is from here).

My impression - nice guitars, didn't notice an improvement in sound due to the bridge set up, though. The adjustable neck is awesome, and if there is any justice in the world, will be on all guitars soon. It really works as advertised. If I were in the market I'd consider a Babicz for the neck, particularly if I wanted to screw around with different strings and try out slide.

Archived