Need advise on a live setup.

jerime

• Members

Here's the deal. I play in a acoustic blues band, but we are not totally acoustic we occasionally throw out a bluesy electric sound too. What I want is one rig (preferably a combo amp) that I can play acoustic and electric through since I may not always have the option of running my acoustic direct to a PA.

Is this possible? I'm looking at some cheaper tube combos like the Crate Palomino amps, but would a acoustic sound worth crap though something like this and if so what would you recomend? I really hate to have to pack around more than I have to.

• Members

Here's the deal:

electric guitar amps and what you need for good acoustic tones are completely different.

Go get yourself a Fishman loud box for acoustic stuff and a Fender Blues Jr for the electric stuff.

Tare ouit the speaker out of the BJ and put in a Jensen

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fishman-Loudbox-100-Acoustic-Guitar-Amplifier?sku=480243

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fishman-Loudbox-Performer-Acoustic-Combo-Amp?sku=480242

this one has the Jensen in it already

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Jr.-NOS-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Lacquer-Tweed-with-Jensen-Speakers?sku=483711

I hate to be a wise ass over here, but this is the truth

[YOUTUBE]eUbntU2N7xY[/YOUTUBE]

Other options are the Fender DRRI, the Blues Deluxe.

They're all over the net used, but if you get a HR Blues Deluxe put in a Jensen speaker

• Members

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately I don't think I could drop that kind of money right now. Thing is the band is basically a recording project right now, but we are getting offers to play shows and it's tempting even though I don't have any type of live acoustic setup. As far as electric goes I have a 100 watt tube half stack, but would like to think my days of hauling that thing around are over.

• Members

There is no dual, acoustic/electric amp that I know of. Separate units, as Mikeo suggests.

If you're locked into one unit I think you're better off using a multi channel acoustic amp such as the Crate Gunnison or Durango, depending on how much power you need. either is higher wattage output unit than the Palomino. You could then run you acoustic into one channel and the electric, pedals and all, into the other.

• Members

Rivera do Doyle Dykes sig amp, can't remember what it's called, but it's all tube, has overdrive and has a switchable tweeter for full range acoustic sounds as well as electric.

Failing that, do what I do in the same setting, and put a magnetic soundhole pickup in your guitar, send that to the electric amp and the acoustic undersaddle to the house PA.

Hear my sound through a fender twin AND a PA simultaneously, pretty much...when it gets to the solo and I dig in, the twin comes through as it doesn't compress as hard as the UST.

Listen to "sun sets in the west(live)" on this page,it's the first song;

Sound click

• Members

Here's the deal:

electric guitar amps and what you need for good acoustic tones are completely different.

Go get yourself a Fishman loud box for acoustic stuff and a Fender Blues Jr for the electric stuff.

Sounds like my setup. I have a Fishman Loudbox 100 and a Fender Blues Jr but instead of constantly switching guitars, I have a Parkwood Hybrid H4 which has the Fishman powerbridge which means I can plug a stereo cable into the input jack and run each cable out to the acoustic and electric amps simultaneously.

Although the acoustic and electric purists may balk at the guitar, the tone is good enough to satisfy the audience.

• Members

Sounds like my setup. I have a Fishman Loudbox 100 and a Fender Blues Jr but instead of constantly switching guitars, I have a Parkwood Hybrid H4 which has the Fishman powerbridge which means I can plug a stereo cable into the input jack and run each cable out to the acoustic and electric amps simultaneously.

Although the acoustic and electric purists may balk at the guitar, the tone is good enough to satisfy the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqpsOlgNp0&NR=1

Awesome!!:thu:

• Members

Rivera do Doyle Dykes sig amp, can't remember what it's called, but it's all tube, has overdrive and has a switchable tweeter for full range acoustic sounds as well as electric.

Failing that, do what I do in the same setting, and put a magnetic soundhole pickup in your guitar, send that to the electric amp and the acoustic undersaddle to the house PA.

Hear my sound through a fender twin AND a PA simultaneously, pretty much...when it gets to the solo and I dig in, the twin comes through as it doesn't compress as hard as the UST.

Listen to "sun sets in the west(live)" on this page,it's the first song;

Rivera Sedona Doyle Dykes signature amps, are not cheap

• Members

There is no dual, acoustic/electric amp that I know of. Separate units, as Mikeo suggests.

If you're locked into one unit I think you're better off using a multi channel acoustic amp such as the Crate Gunnison or Durango, depending on how much power you need. either is higher wattage output unit than the Palomino. You could then run you acoustic into one channel and the electric, pedals and all, into the other.

I have a Crate Acoustic amp (see signature - mine was before all those cute Colorado names), and agree that a multichannel amp (mine has 3 channels) is a good way to go. An acoustic amp is a kind of mini-PA system with one channel having acoustic guitar pre-amp controls, and has a very clean output. To use it with an electric guitar, you must use pedals or an effects board. It works well for small venues.

Arizona Ken

• Members

Didn't know there was one set up for electric and acoustic.

$2400.00????

It damn well better sound good both ways. One can put together a great acoustic amp and a great electric amp with the same or more power for a lot less than that.

• Members

I have a Crate Acoustic amp (see signature - mine was before all those cute Colorado names), and agree that a multichannel amp (mine has 3 channels) is a good way to go. An acoustic amp is a kind of mini-PA system with one channel having acoustic guitar pre-amp controls, and has a very clean output. To use it with an electric guitar, you must use pedals or an effects board. It works well for small venues.

Arizona Ken

Ha! "Cute Colorado names.....:lol:

I find it's easier to remember names than a bunch of numbers or I'd have posted the model numbers.

• Members

With three channels, is yours like this one?

Vocal/Instrument, Instrument and Aux channels

CA125DG_main.jpg
That's the Telluride.

Not quite. The CA112D was out a year or two before Crate started giving model names. The channels/electronics are the same as the Telluride, but my amp gives 2 X 50 watts into a dual coil 12 inch speaker (the Telluride has 50 watts each into 2-8 inch speakers) and then both models have 25 watts into a tweeter. Mine probably has a little better bass response, but on an acoustic amp, it probably doesn't matter much.

It's a great little amp, but since it never got a proper model name from Crate, maybe I'll call it the "Arizona"

Arizona Ken

• Members

Rivera Sedona Doyle Dykes signature amps, are not cheap

I have one of these amps. Rivera makes great amps & they are very loud too!

Ya, it was not cheap, even used. But @ the time, I had the $ & didn't know any better. I had not done my homework, & didn't really understand what gear I really needed to for my live setup.

Reading and asking lots of questions I got good advice and suggestions here. In my quest I was able to try many different suggestions & found what works for me. I have found keeping it simple has been the best key.

My live set up has become smaller & smaller (great for my back). When I can its just my guitar w/a mic, or sound hole pickup into a P.A. But if need I could always plug in to my Rivera so everyone could here me.

• Members

Not quite. The CA112D was out a year or two before Crate started giving model names. The channels/electronics are the same as the Telluride, but my amp gives 2 X 50 watts into a dual coil 12 inch speaker (the Telluride has 50 watts each into 2-8 inch speakers) and then both models have 25 watts into a tweeter. Mine probably has a little better bass response, but on an acoustic amp, it probably doesn't matter much.

It's a great little amp, but since it never got a proper model name from Crate, maybe I'll call it the "Arizona"

Arizona Ken

Well, with 12's you can probably get a decent bass guitar or stomp box tone from one of the non-vocal channels on that Arizona.

That'd be pretty cool in some places.

Archived