Acoustic Guitar Live - Through Amp or PA?

Big Al

• Members

I play acoustic guitar in a 4-piece rock band. I'm currently playing through the PA--monitors and mains. I have a small Fender acoustic amp, but I think I get a better sound from the PA. What is the best way to handle an acoustic guitar live with a full-on rock band? Should I stick with the PA or try the amp?

The advantage I can see from using the amp is that there is a single source for sound--leaving the monitors for vocals only. And the audience will hear the front of the amp (they currently hear the monitors reflected off the back wall, which sucks the highs out, plus a little of my guitar in the mains. )

On the flipside, playing through the PA, the rest of the band can hear me better, and I get a better tone from the PA than I do an amp. I use a POD X3 Live.

Any thoughts, experiences, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Al

• Members
If the amp has an out to PA run the amp as your stage monitor and let the PS handle FOH sound. Otherwise, run through the PA and an additional stage monitor so you can hear.

Dak gives it to ya straight! :thu:

I prefer just using the PA/monitors whenever possible, but from time to time I have to hire one of several Neanderthal drummers, where I'll then need to use an amp onstage as a guitar monitor, running it's line-out into a channel of the PA.

• Members

Big Al - I also play in a 5 piece acoustic rock band. I've been playing through my line out of my amp, directly into the mix board of the PA for the past 3 years. I can hear turn myself up in the monitors and still be nicely mixed in the FOH speakers.

Recently, our band has been working on fine tuning our sound, though the line out has worked well, I've recently moved to not using the line out on the amp, and using an SM57 microphone in front of the amp, then to the PA.

I was really surprised on the cleaner sound using the mic'ed sound from the speaker as opposed to the line out.

Next time you get a chance you can even experiment with one of the vocal mic's before you spend the money on a mic to see if you like it.

Just as a note, in working my sound I have used the line out of my amp - a DI box - directly into the PA and I settled with micing my amp.

Also note that all amps have different sound. The guy I play with uses a Fender Acoustic Amp and it has a little more gain/crunch to it then my personal preference. I like a slightly more cleaner sound and tested various acoustic amps - I actually settled on a bass amp because in my opinion it gave me the cleanest sound.

• Members

I'm using a POD X3 live (a preamp and several outputs), so I can go to the PA without having to come out of the amp first. It's interesting to hear that you can get a good sound from a mic'd amp. I wonder if this tightens the sound because the extreme highs, lows, and fret noise don't come through as well. I have a Fender Acoustisonic JR. It doesn't sound all that good. I'll trying playing it through the POD and mess around with the EQ. Can anyone recommend a good acoustic amp?

• Members

I prefer using a DI box and plugging into a PA. Most venues use cheap DI boxes though so I invested in a Radial J-48. This way my sound is always consistent on my end and I'm only dependent on the quality of the PA at the venue which are usually pretty good. The Radial runs on phantom power from a mic cable and the sound quality is amazing. A great purchase.

I also have a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. but have been thinking of selling it... It rarely leaves the house anymore.

• Members

PA, You can get great sounds out of the PA. It is just one more thing to bring power and run wires to and from. I am lazy I used to bring it all, but the sound is not really affected Sometimes I use a Pre-Sonus preamp. but it is not really even needed, it just gives me more EQ.

Archived