Why aren't there more archtop acoustics?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members
By contrast, I'm not sure to what extent that still goes in Northern Europe. These days, nylon and steel string guitars are pretty much 50/50,

It was my impression too.

Here in the UK, it's probably more 75% steel and 25% nylon for your average guitar shop (which is understandle, considering both current Brit-pop and traditional English music are played on steel-strings). I suppose it'd be similar or even more one-sided in the US where nylon-strings seem to be considered as "niche" instruments?

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, of course. :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A lot of love here for Eastmans but what about Strombergs?

I posted the link on another thread but here it is...based on the original and near perfect blems for $900 with case....

http://www.wdmusic.com/stromberg_newport_jazz_guitar_non_30071_prd1.htm

I went to an acoustic jam a week or so ago and one of the guys had one of those. Nice looking guitar. Hard to guage it's acoustic sound around strumming dreads and my dread-killing Gitane. :o

• Members

ET:

"BTW...I don't remember if I asked this to you in another thread or not, but how does that little Guild of yours handle flatpick work?"

My style of playing doesn't include flatpicking. So I can't say. The action is very fast. Is that good for flat-picking? The tone is very bright. Is that good for flatpicking? I don't know. I always think of loud and woody for flat-picking.

I think it is a GREAT fingerstyle and Jazz comping/strumming guitar. It has a very sweet & warm sound on scales and lead runs.

archtop-guild2.JPG

It's a great Country or Western Swing stumming guitar. The open chords shimmer. The barres come through smoothly with punch and clarity.

I know people who use it as their main instrument in their church ensembles. I've read of others using it for Al Di Meola kind of lead picking.

I can't feature it being used in a Bluegrass setting though. It's only 3 inches thick. Without being amplified, would it be loud enough on a Bluegrass stage surrounded by a mob of D-18 dreads?

Its sound would stand out by comparison. But would it be loud enough?

I think it's better finger-style, Jazz lead, Lead acoustic & comping guitar.

The only recording I've made to date with the Guild is this one.

Bonne Annee'.

The main guitar theme is double-tracked with a Maple dread Nashville-tuned to give it a 12 string sound. All of the other parts feature the Guild all alone without the high strings. The two Am bridges & the two B7 bridges for instance and all the descending & ascending runs. I think the F-65ce sounds really true as a Folk fingerpicked guitar.

• Members
I went to an acoustic jam a week or so ago and one of the guys had one of those. Nice looking guitar. Hard to guage it's acoustic sound around strumming dreads and my dread-killing Gitane.
:o

You braggart YOU!:)
He never had a chance!;)

• Members
ET:

My style of playing doesn't include flatpicking. So I can't say. The action is very fast. Is that good for flat-picking? The tone is very bright. Is that good for flatpicking? I don't know. I always think of loud and woody for flat-picking.

I think it is a GREAT fingerstyle and Jazz comping/strumming guitar. It has a very sweet & warm sound on scales and lead runs.

archtop-guild2.JPG

It's a great Country or Western Swing stumming guitar. The open chords shimmer. The barres come through smoothly with punch and clarity.

I know people who use it as their main instrument in their church ensembles. I've read of others using it for Al Di Meola kind of lead picking.

I can't feature it being used in a Bluegrass setting though. It's only 3 inches thick. Without being amplified, would it be loud enough on a Bluegrass stage surrounded by a mob of D-18 dreads?

Its sound would stand out by comparison. But would it be loud enough?

I think it's better finger-style, Jazz lead, Lead acoustic & comping guitar.

The only recording I've made to date with the Guild is this one.

Bonne Annee'.

The main guitar theme is double-tracked with a Maple dread Nashville-tuned to give it a 12 string sound. All of the other parts feature the Guild all alone without the high strings. The two Am bridges & the two B7 bridges for instance and all the descending & ascending runs. I think the F-65ce sounds really true as a Folk fingerpicked guitar.

Well low action is always welcome. :D
But bright...it depends on personal preference. Some people don't dig acoustics with maple, for instance, but I like them and think they have their place.

The reason I ask is just because my little Seagull is an amazing fingerstyle guitar (it honestly stands up to the great Martins I've played, and I don't say that lightly), but my hand is a little heavy with a flatpick. I added ebony pins and that helped, but it's still not quite where I'd like it to be (maybe going to .11's would help; .12's drive the top, but might also make the little guitar squawk a bit earlier).

I've been eying (OK, drooling) over that Guild with the arched back, because it sounds like it might be a good "do everything" guitar. I'll have to check out your clip when I get home from work.

Thanks for the info. :thu:

• Members

I just had a guy offer to buy it yesterday via email. I turned him down. I paid $1150. He offered me a lot more. Burst F-65ce's are very rare.

As for you ET --- go to .11's. Nanowebs, if you want to flatpick on your Guild.

As for me - I think Maple is my favorite tonewood. Although I've heard & loved some Walnut and Indian Rosewood too.

I think your D-25 is an excellent flat-picking instrument. Lower the action if you need to. They sound sweet on lead runs.

• Members

I have to say I'm totally in love with the Eastman archtop acoustic (AR605)that I just aquired. The intonation is fine, the tone is wonderful. Construction is above good to almost great, (Buzz INSIDE (ARRGGGHHHH) the guitar near uppper neck joint area...when a low G note is played on the bass E string...if you play hard...I hate that), output volume is fantastic, tone...again, the tone makes me pick that guitar up over everything else lately. It is sweet sounding, warm sounding, and yet once again, Makes Me Wanna Play! I've got a 335 knock-off of theirs and an El Ray (Otto D'A-something)... Great guitars...still the AR605 is still my go to guitar for now!
rk

• Members

.........As for me - I think Maple is my favorite tonewood. Although I've heard & loved some Walnut and Indian Rosewood too.

I think your D-25 is an excellent flat-picking instrument. Lower the action if you need to. They sound sweet on lead runs.

My hearing has been permanently damaged over the years...too much rock and roll in the 60's......So they ring all the time. My Maple is the only guitar I own that I can really hear all the notes I play. Admittedly its a brighter sounding guitar, but to me its also a wonderful even sounding guitar compared to my other two Mahogany dreds.

As for a D-25.....might just be one of my favorite guitars ever...They can sound incredible. ET, I would take Marcellis's advice.

• Members
I wish my tone sucked as much as this man's

vid

Beautiful :love:

And I've also wondered why there aren't more affordable acoustic archtops, the Godin and the Gretsch are a good step in the right direction. Archtops will always be the most beautiful guitars to me.

Archived