Which gypsy jazz guitar?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I read that when he went to play in the US, he did not take any guitar with him, thinking he'd be able to find good guitars over there.

He disliked the American guitars he was given so much (archtops, I guess? Gibson?) that he ultimately had a Selmer shipped from France.

:o

If I remember correctly, he was quoted as calling American archtops "tin pots," or something like that.

He did prefer his French guitars, but he also seemed to play a few different types and brands of them along the way.

• Members

If I remember correctly, he was quoted as calling American archtops "tin pots," or something like that.

"Casseroles", probably (literally "sauce pans"). :D

It's the term normally used for bad-sounding guitars (imagine the tone of a stringed sauce pan). ;)

• Members

"
Casseroles
", probably (literally "sauce pans").
:D

It's the term normally used for bad-sounding guitars (imagine the tone of a stringed sauce pan).
;)

I'm fairly sure that no matter what guitar I pick up, it sounds like "casserole." :D

That should be the forum slang. Instead of "that sucks" or "that sounds like crap"...we can say "that's just way too casserole for me."

BTW, have you seen this, Pascal?

http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/JSP-CD953.htm

I've got Django's bop stuff circa 1947, plus the Rome stuff, and some of his work with Andre Ekyan from 1951 to 1953...but it looks like that CD might fill in some gaps. I didn't think any "concert" recordings of Django even existed, but JSP has a reputation for putting out great, great stuff...

(And I think this may be my next pick for gypsy jazz:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GDP2.htm)

• Members

BTW, have you seen this, Pascal?

http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/JSP-CD953.htm

Wow, sounds great (and cheap)! Thanks. :thu:

Interesting picks too... I've been experimenting lately with picks thinner than the wegens (tortex 2mm, for example), but using the rounded tips instead of the pointy end. I now like the idea of stiff, slightly rounded picks...

• Members

I'm fairly sure that no matter what guitar I pick up, it sounds like "casserole."

I remember using that term recently on another forum when talking about my own archtop: saying that its acoustic tone was quite impressive straight from the box, but that with its electric strings, it still sounded a little casserole-ish.

I quote: "[...]en acoustique, c'est mieux que le souvenir que j'avais des fil

• Members

My Stagg GJ did not come with a case, so I got this one at MF for $69.95.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Gypsy-Jazz-Hardshell-Guitar-Case?sku=542040

I'm extremely happy with it. Very nice case inside and out. Fits my GJ git like a glove. To get free shipping, I ordered some little accessories that I knew I would use, like some extra strings, a strap, an extra stand. Once your order total is over $99, shipping is free, even if they ship some things separately.

• Members

My Stagg GJ did not come with a case, so I got this one at MF for $69.95.

I'm extremely happy with it. Very nice case inside and out. Fits my GJ git like a glove. To get free shipping, I ordered some little accessories that I knew I would use, like some extra strings, a strap, an extra stand. Once your order total is over $99, shipping is free, even if they ship some things separately.

Good deal! I need to get a case for my Cordoba, but I keep putting it off.

• Members

I've never really been able to get into super-thick picks (which I would guess is heresy in certain gj circles
), and honestly, I just don't hear 'em in some of Django's records, either. I hear him using a stiff pick that must've had some heft...but he somehow avoided the "pick click" I hear in so many other gj records.

I think the "pick click" is more a matter of material used than a matter of thickness. And I guess you don't hear them with Django because he was playing with turtle shell picks. I have a Dugain pick in acetate that is supposed to be a very close imitation of turtle shell, and while it has the same shape and thickness as my other Dugain picks, the "click" is much less noticeable. My impression is that the material is slightly softer and wears out differently. I think it absorbs part of the shock when the string is hit: while the note played is as loud as with a wegen and there is no "give" at all, the attack itself is less out-of-control.

Sort of a natural compressor, if you will.

:idk:

• Members

I think the "pick click" is more a matter of material used than a matter of thickness. And I guess you don't hear them with Django because he was playing with turtle shell picks. I have a Dugain pick in acetate that is supposed to be a very close imitation of turtle shell, and while it has the same shape and thickness as my other Dugain picks, the "click" is much less noticeable. My impression is that the material is slightly softer and wears out differently. I think it absorbs part of the shock when the string is hit: while the note played is as loud as with a wegen and there is no "give" at all, the attack itself is less out-of-control.

Sort of a natural compressor, if you will.

:idk:

That's an interesting way of putting it. You certainly could be right. However, one thing I've noticed of the tortoise shell picks I've seen (which has been infrequent, only twice in my life) is that they weren't terribly thick...maybe 1.5's, but that's about it.

That said...that's still pretty thick for most people. :D

In that Dregni book, though, it also says Django used everything from buttons to the fattest tooth of a comb as picks. The man just had some mojo.

...Djojo? :idk:

• Members

I have one that looks a lot like the ebony sarod picks in your link... it's now my dedicated pick for any nylon-string playing.

No contest.

I'm in a phase of playing on my all-lam nylon string beater a lot right now, so I'll definitely have to check these picks out. :cool:

• Members

Those John Pearse Sarod picks look interesting. I may have to try one out. I really like the Dugain picks myself (I think mine is ebony).

The Wegen picks though nice are a little harder for me to control the "pick click" sound. I like the natural compressor analogy used when describing the Dugain. That's a good way of putting it. Is it just with the acetate or do you find it with all of his picks?

I noticed someone posted a link to the DAWG picks as well. I've never tried one but it looks very similar to the Golden Gate Mandolin pick. The Golden Gates produce a very nice warm sound on the guitar. I love the way they sound but unfortunately they are too rounded on the ends for me to get used to.

• Members

Those John Pearse Sarod picks look interesting.

Those are cool. I've got one or two that I mess around with on occasion. The grip is similar to the Wegen on the thumb side but different on the finger side. Actually has a little groove for your index ... great to get your index finger in a good position -- though my index tends to move a bit.

• Members

I like the natural compressor analogy used when describing the Dugain. That's a good way of putting it. Is it just with the acetate or do you find it with all of his picks?

I haven't tried them all, but as I said earlier, it depends on the material rather than the shape. The Dugains in agathis or other minerals are actually the worst I've ever tried when it comes to clicks. And acetate would be the best.

• Members

I ordered a couple of those John Pearse picks with my case last night.

and my guitar will be here tomorrow. The anticipation is KILLING me.

Congrats again on the guitar. Let us know your impressions when you get it (and when you get the Pearse picks to play on it). Y'know we're all suckers for full reviews. :D

• Members

Hmm...that's interesting.

Dugain himself says that he thinks wood picks are "deeper, richer, more resonant and responsive to the string"...which doesn't seem to suggest "clicky."

Actually, I would tend to agree. I was talking about the ones in stone and minerals. These do click a lot. The ones in wood (coco and ebony, in particular) sound much better, imo. Acetate clicks less, and is also more mellow. Imo, again.

Have you "tried" his picks online?

BTW, I also suspect that the ones that are exported (featuring the logo) are slightly different from the ones sold in France. With sharper edges.

I did not like the few I tried.

• Members

Actually, I would tend to agree. I was talking about the ones in stone and minerals. These do click a lot. The ones in wood (coco and ebony, in particular) sound much better, imo. Acetate clicks less, and is also more mellow. Imo, again.

Have you "tried" his picks online
?

BTW, I also suspect that the ones that are exported (featuring the logo) are slightly different from the ones sold in France. With sharper edges.

I did not like the few I tried.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry 'bout that.

A little "click" is pretty much guaranteed (unless you're playing with your fingers with the nails cut back), I know. I just don't like it to be...well, obnoxious. :D I'll definitely try the wood ones out (probably the Pearse ones, as they are a bit cheaper) to see how they fare.

I used to use Clayton acetal picks before the Ultems came out (which are a little brighter, to my ears). I may have to buy a few just for the sake of comparison.

I don't have speakers on my computer at work, but I'll definitely check that link out when I get home.

• Members

Wow, sounds great (and cheap)! Thanks.
:thu:

Interesting picks too... I've been experimenting lately with picks thinner than the wegens (tortex 2mm, for example), but using the rounded tips instead of the pointy end. I now like the idea of stiff, slightly rounded picks...

This is interesting, and something Wegen has already looked into:thu: They made a pick called "The button" which was soppused to model a 3.5 mm gypsy pick after it was worn down (and therefore its about 5 mm).

I've only ever tried an ebony pick once, and it was on an electric. And WOW! It was amazing for jazzy ballad sounds. I'll be sure to buy one sooner or later.

Archived