Which gypsy jazz guitar?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

11919_f260.jpg

This one is actually a gutbox I think.

Django9.jpg

I like my grande bouche. I like the look of it. At the time I got mine, I was playing almost all my gigs on a gutbox (lately this happens during cold months ... I don't know why) and I wanted the wider neck of the grande bouche. It also joins at the 12th fret, though some of the newer (and higher priced) ones join at the 14th like the petite bouche ones.

I'd read about how one guitar was for rhythm players and one was for lead and immediately thought balderdash.

I still have the GAS for a grande bouche gutbox, but I'm learning to live with that bit of greed and instead just keep falling in love my current guitar. Goofy, I know. I currently use it for everything.

btw, I got mine off ebay and I'd never played a djangobox in my life before I played this one when it showed up on my doorstep. :)

• Members

I've heard the D soundhole is supposed to be for Rhythm while the oval is for lead. Like Stackabones said "balderdash". I've seen rhythm players using ovals and lead players using D holes.

I have an oval shaped Dell Arte. I like it but would love to have a D hole guitar as well. So I guess I really didn't answer your question. ;)

From my experience you get more bass response with the D's and with the ovals a sweeter lead tone. The oval works better for me because it cuts through the mix amazingly well in my band. I don't have to dig in so hard. When I play it on it's own sometimes I think its rhythm sound is thin but then when I play it in my band context I think "yeah this guitar is amazing!"

• Members

My vote went to the petite bouche, mostly because I have one and really like it. And it's plenty loud. I think the grande bouche would be so loud that everyone in my house would be grabbing earplugs every time I picked it up. ;)

And I must comment - I don't consider mine to be strictly genre specific. I've used different types of strings on it and have played a lot of different music on it. It's got a cool sound that works with a lot of music. :thu:

• Members

I'd say the oval-hole/long scale tend to have a more typical GJ-coloured tone. Cut through better, but less balanced: More mid-range bark. Work better as a group instrument, IMHO.

D-holes/short scale are more balanced and folksy. More versatile too, I guess. Sound good as solo instruments, but not the best for single-line soloing at an acoustic jam... unless the other guitars are all flat-tops or nylon, I guess (stack might disagree here ;)).

I haven't played a long-scale D-hole yet, but really want to: some say it is the best of both world.

Now a few points:

- All guitars are different: Some oval-holes can have a very balanced tone, some D-holes can have a nice mid-range bark.

- Whether you prefer one or the other is a matter of taste only. Go out and play these guitars before you make your choice

And finally... my experience shows that when it comes to selecting guitars, there is only one good solution: buy one of each. And a backup. ;)

Oh, and I voted oval-hole, myself, BTW. Which doesn't mean I don't want a D-hole too. :o

• Members

My vote went to the petite bouche, mostly because I have one and really like it. And it's plenty loud. I think the grande bouche would be so loud that everyone in my house would be grabbing earplugs every time I picked it up.
;)

And I must comment - I don't consider mine to be strictly genre specific. I've used different types of strings on it and have played a lot of different music on it. It's got a cool sound that works with a lot of music.
:thu:

Hello Samilyn,

Different strings? Have you used regular acoustic strings on yours? Wouldn't that cause too much tension? I'm just curious because the strings you typically use on these guitars tend to be very light. It sounds interesting...

• Members

Hello Samilyn,

Different strings? Have you used regular acoustic strings on yours? Wouldn't that cause too much tension? I'm just curious because the strings you typically use on these guitars tend to be very light. It sounds interesting...

In addition to the traditional silk & steel, I've used extra-light phos bronze (10-47). The gauge difference between those two sets is only in the three basses, the silk & steel being 44, 34, and 26, as opposed to the phos bronze at 47, 39, and 30.

I've also tried a set of nylon strings (don't remember which ones now). I kind of liked them, though I don't think the nylons were able drive the top as much as I would have liked. Not surprising, though, considering the git wasn't designed for such. However, for some experimentation with some soft, fingerstyle tunes, they gave a rather sweet, old-world sound.

As for tension, I didn't give it overly much thought simply because I downtuned the phos bronze ones a half-step in order to suit my vocal range, so probably wound up at about the same tension as the silk & steels tuned to concert. (S&S low E at concert = 22.4 lbs; phos bronze low E at concert - 27.1 lbs. I figured downtuning brings that down to an acceptable tension range and I don't use the phos bronze all the time anyway.)

• Members

I'd say, rather then ask yourself whether to go D or oval, ask yourself if you want a long scale or a short scale.

Long scale just tend to cut through more, and sound a lot more gypsy jazzish on single lines...for the most part.

I've personally enjoyed petite bouches more, but I have never tried a long scale D hole.

• Members

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4445&highlight=

Gitane DG-250 (petite bouche), Schatten pup, HSC, upgraded bridge.

$400 +$25 shipping :eek:

Brand spanking new these things go at around $700 w/case ... not mention the pup and bridge add-ons.

btw, I don't know the seller. Just passing on a possible deal for someone.

• Members

I might be wrong, but I have in mind that the Selmer/Maccaferri collaboration started with the production of the D-hole guitar (aka Maccaferri). Django adopted it.

After Mario Maccaferri left Selmer, changes where made to his original design. One of them was the introduction of the oval hole. Django played it and adopted it (i.e. thought it worked better than the D-hole model for the soloist that he was). When Django had no choice, he played the D-hole, when he had the choice, he played the oval-hole.

But I could be wrong. :o

• Members

I might be wrong, but I have in mind that the Selmer/Maccaferri collaboration started with the production of the D-hole guitar (aka Maccaferri). Django adopted it.

After Mario Maccaferri left Selmer, changes where made to his original design. One of them was the introduction of the oval hole. Django played it and adopted it (i.e. thought it worked better than the D-hole model for the soloist that he was). When Django had no choice, he played the D-hole, when he had the choice, he played the oval-hole.

But I could be wrong.
:o

Essentially true, as I understand it.

But Django wasn't dogmatic about his guitars, either. I'm reading Michael Dregni's "illustrated history of gypsy jazz," and apparently Django wasn't against using Di Mauro or Busato guitars (there's another maker in there, too, but I forget his name...I want to say Arthur Carbonell, but I'm far from certain if that's the actual name of the luthier). According to that book, Django didn't get Selmers until at least the summer of '35, too, so some of those early classic QHCF numbers were apparently not cut on Selmers.

There's another story in there about a Busato that Django apparently used in 1949 (during his bop period), too.

As long as it had strings, it seems like Django would play it. :D

Anywho...I own an oval hole gypsy jazz box, but I'm starting to think I probably would like a D-hole more.

• Members

As long as it had strings, it seems like Django would play it.
:D

I read that when he went to play in the US, he did not take any guitar with him, thinking he'd be able to find good guitars over there.

He disliked the American guitars he was given so much (archtops, I guess? Gibson?) that he ultimately had a Selmer shipped from France.

• Members

I read that when he went to play in the US, he did not take any guitar with him, thinking he'd be able to find good guitars over there.

He disliked the American guitars he was given so much (archtops, I guess? Gibson?) that he ultimately had a Selmer shipped from France.

Was that not the epiphone?

Archived