Fingerpicking nylon strings

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm considering getting a nylon string because I don't have one and I like their sound. However, I have an interesting problem. When using a thin pick (.5 mm) the guitar will sound good as long as it is a good guitar. It will also sound good if I am using my thumb, whether it is the bass or treble strings. However, when I use the rest of my fingers it sounds like guitar is strung with fishing wire.

I am used to steel strings, and the only time I've played nylon string guitars were at guitar stores. Do I need to use a lighter touch?

• Members

Well, that's about all you can do short of different string and guitar make/model experimentation. Nylon guitars just don't kick-it like steel strings do. I have both and when I started playing the classical I was pretty underwhelmed with the sound. But, that's the sound. Mine has onboard electronics (improvise and overcome - hoorah) and will compete evenly with a steel string with onboards. But, unplugged it's a whole lesser animal.

It's an acquired taste.

• Members

I'm considering getting a nylon string because I don't have one and I like their sound. However, I have an interesting problem. When using a thin pick (.5 mm) the guitar will sound good as long as it is a good guitar. It will also sound good if I am using my thumb, whether it is the bass or treble strings. However, when I use the rest of my fingers it sounds like guitar is strung with fishing wire.

I am used to steel strings, and the only time I've played nylon string guitars were at guitar stores. Do I need to use a lighter touch?

Try a harder string. Nylon strings come in a variety of hardnesses. You might get a better tone out of a harder string. YMMV, of course, but that is what I recommend. Also attempt using rest strokes as opposed to free strokes. Rest strokes you pluck through the string and allow your finger to "rest" on an adjacent string. Free stroke you never touch the adjacent string until you want to pluck it. Rest stroke takes a lot of practice to master, but it may solve your problem.

• Members

Try a harder string. Nylon strings come in a variety of hardnesses. You might get a better tone out of a harder string. YMMV, of course, but that is what I recommend. Also attempt using rest strokes as opposed to free strokes. Rest strokes you pluck through the string and allow your finger to "rest" on an adjacent string. Free stroke you never touch the adjacent string until you want to pluck it. Rest stroke takes a lot of practice to master, but it may solve your problem.

+1

It can take a while to find the right strings for your gutbox, but eventually, with the right technique and strings, you should get a full sound from your baby. Finding the right strings is just like finding the right git: you just have to try a bunch of em out.

• Members

It will also sound good if I am using my thumb, whether it is the bass or treble strings. However, when I use the rest of my fingers it sounds like guitar is strung with fishing wire.

That the guitar sounds okay when you play with your thumb and not your fingers makes me think it is a technique problem. Typically, the thumb produces a bigger, fatter, rounder tone because of its larger size and the angle at which it plucks the strings.

Google on "rest stroke" and "apoyando" for some ideas on how to enhance the sound of the notes when using your index, middle, and ring fingers. A good way to start is to just use your index finger to figure out how to get the bigger tone using a rest stroke. Once you've figured it out, then try the same technique using your middle and ring fingers.

• Members
That the guitar sounds okay when you play with your thumb and not your fingers makes me think it is a technique problem. Typically, the thumb produces a bigger, fatter, rounder tone because of its larger size and the angle at which it plucks the strings.

Google on "rest stroke" and "apoyando" for some ideas on how to enhance the sound of the notes when using your index, middle, and ring fingers. A good way to start is to just use your index finger to figure out how to get the bigger tone using a rest stroke. Once you've figured it out, then try the same technique using your middle and ring fingers.

+1. Unless it's a really crappy guitar, I don't think you're doing it right. Nylon is a bit of an aquired taste though. One for which I have auqired an insatiable hunger. :thu:

• Members

I'm very sure it is a technique problem. I know about rest strokes, but I want to know how to make my free strokes sound better.

I've dragged my fiancee into guitar shops more than once, and to kill time she'll just grab a guitar she thinks is pretty and just pluck around on the strings. She likes the nylon strings, and though she doesn't know how to play a thing, she'll get an amazing tone out of the nylon strings, no matter what the guitar is.

This, of course, drives me nuts. I think it might have something to do with me unknowingly approaching the nylon strings like steel strings in some way.

• Members

I'm very sure it is a technique problem. I know about rest strokes, but I want to know how to make my free strokes sound better.

I've dragged my fiancee into guitar shops more than once, and to kill time she'll just grab a guitar she thinks is pretty and just pluck around on the strings. She likes the nylon strings, and though she doesn't know how to play a thing, she'll get an amazing tone out of the nylon strings, no matter what the guitar is.

This, of course, drives me nuts. I think it might have something to do with me
unknowingly approaching
the nylon strings like steel strings in some way.

Try not to think about your playing too much. Someone posted a link or something about letting your brain soak in the info and the rest will just come to you. I absolutely believe it. I know it's kind of taboo in the world of guitar, but I let my fingers and my ear guide me less than my brain.

• Members

I'm not an authority on nylon strings, but I can say that a good fingerpicking technique takes practice.

Took me a long time to even out the force with which I plucked the strings, thumb vs. fingers. I tend to pick too heavily with my thumb, so those notes overpower whatever notes I pick with the fingers. I had to learn to lighten up with the thumb and apply a bit more pressure with the fingers to make the sound (volume?) more balanced.

• Members

As other people have said, technique plays a big part - it is very easy to get into the habit of using too much force with the thumb. Long nails also help to improve the sound when picking - especially with nylon strings and lastly, definirely get a set of hard (high) tension strings. They sound much crisper than standard tension - which is the type of string that classical guitars are almost always sold with.

Archived