why buy a Martin from the 70

porterrex

• Members

I wouldn't pay the extra money for Brazilian, new or old. It's gorgeous to look at, for sure. The few I've played have sounded very good - but all were either well aged, or were very expensive boutique models (non-Martin): in both cases, it wasn't really possible to tell how much of the tone, stellar as it was in every case, was attributable to the use of Brazilian. I've played boutique guitars of mahogany, Indian rosewood, and other, more unusual woods, that sounded as good. There's no excuse for anything less than stellar sound once you get to $2K, and these days there's little excuse even below that figure (there are so many choices).

Like FunkaGuitar, I'd can think of two or even three guitars I'd rather have (combined) for the price of a typical Brazilian instrument.

• Members

Actually, the reason to buy a Martin from the 70's has nothing to do with Braz - everyone who knows any thing already knows to get one of them and the prices have shot up. But others, like D-35 (which may be Braz and EIR mixed) and D-18's (hog) are darn good deals because the 70's are the "undesirable" years. You can pick up a D-18 for less than a grand, a D-35 for less than two, put 6-700 into a neck reset, replacing the b/p, maybe a little scalloping, and have one killer git. How do I know? I paide 600 for my '74 D-18, 700 for the reset and hot rodding, and I've been offered 15 but wouldn't take 2K. The term "cannon" is overused, but it sure fits

• Members
Actually, the reason to buy a Martin from the 70's has nothing to do with Braz - everyone who knows any thing already knows to get one of them and the prices have shot up. But others, like D-35 (which may be Braz and EIR mixed) and D-18's (hog) are darn good deals because the 70's are the "undesirable" years. You can pick up a D-18 for less than a grand, a D-35 for less than two, put 6-700 into a neck reset, replacing the b/p, maybe a little scalloping, and have one killer git. How do I know? I paide 600 for my '74 D-18, 700 for the reset and hot rodding, and I've been offered 15 but wouldn't take 2K. The term "cannon" is overused, but it sure fits

+1 :thu: Damn! You're good!

• Members

But others, like D-35 (which may be Braz and EIR mixed) and D-18's (hog) are darn good deals because the 70's are the "undesirable" years.

Something you obviously need to take into account on a case-by-case basis. Some gems, some dogs.

OTOH, they're pre 1990's Martins, when they just started shoveling {censored} out the door as fast as they could along with the -18+ series instruments.

All you need to do is play a DXM instrument to know what I'm talking about. Felix the Cat, anyone?

• Members

Any specific yars to avoid when the quality was not that good? (even Harley had their dark ages when they couldnt produce nice bikes) ...

I know about the cheap guitars and think its a mistake by Martin to produce them as it make it more difficult to know if its a "real" Martin or not just by reading the model if you are not very in to Martin.

• Members
Any specific yars to avoid when the quality was not that good? (even Harley had their dark ages when they couldnt produce nice bikes) ...

Wait Harley makes decent bikes? When did that happen?

They are so not out of the dark ages, using rubber engine mounts was the renaissance. So lets see, I think they are at least to the reformation by now right?

Once they start using water cooling and dual front disc brakes they just might make it to the era of enlightenment. ;)

• Members

Well, it is the 70's in general that are considered the low point (for lots of things being built in the old US of A). The guitars were considered "overbuilt", but that can be fixed. Since they are 30+ years old they usually have some problems - most need a neck reset ($300), frets will be worn ($150 or so), probably some crack including the infamous key and pickguard cracks (100). Here are some things to look for

http://www.bryankimsey.com/problems/index.htm

http://www.bryankimsey.com/70s_D28/index.htm

Armed with that knowledge, there are some real jewels that can be picked up for very reasonable prices. Like these

Martins.jpg

Archived