What Larrivee do I want?

Fuzzboy

• Members

I am considering purchasing a Larrivee from notable guitar. It will be an 07. Great prices there. Now, I am not the greatest acoustic player. I like to fingerpick alot and plan on working on that much more. However, I do like to strum out tunes also. I cannot decide between the L-03 or D-03. Also, what improvements will I get by going with the rosewood version of either? Any insight would be great

• Members

I once had an L-03 (now have an L-09) and for mixed fingerstyle and strumming, it is just about perfect. IMHO, the L body is as versatile a guitar as you will find. The rosewood will likely give you a somewhat deeper/darker and more complex tone than the mahogany or sapele.

The L features a 1 3/4" neck, where the D (I think) is 1 11/16". I personally prefer 1 3/4" as I can fret it more cleanly and the extra space at the saddle is considered preferable for fingerpicking. The L is also a bit more comfortable for most.

• Members

I once had an L-03 (now have an L-09) and for mixed fingerstyle and strumming, it is just about perfect. IMHO, the L body is as versatile a guitar as you will find. The rosewood will likely give you a somewhat deeper/darker and more complex tone than the mahogany or sapele.

The L features a 1 3/4" neck, where the D (I think) is 1 11/16". I personally prefer 1 3/4" as I can fret it more cleanly and the extra space at the saddle is considered preferable for fingerpicking. The L is also a bit more comfortable for most.

+1 to everything rjoxyz said.

I have a number of Larrivees and my L gets a workout. I'm not much of a strummer. Generally people say that rosewood is a more complex sound than mahogany. I would need to play them side-by-side. My L is "all-mahogany-all-the-time" and it's pretty boomy.

DSCF0575.jpg

The L is their best seller.

I don't have a D but I do have an SD (also "all-mahogany-all-the-time") and its a much bigger sound than the L.

• Members

Thanx, I just nabbed one off the bay for 510. couldn't pass it up. The seller states that it has sapelle back and sides. From what I have read on here I think I am going to love it:thu:

• Members

Thanx, I just nabbed one off the bay for 510. couldn't pass it up. The seller states that it has sapelle back and sides. From what I have read on here I think I am going to love it:thu:

Sounds like you got a great deal if everything is in order with the guitar. Congrats!

Ellen

Archived