Can someone identify this fender acoustic for me

fuzzylogic220

• Members

001_1-1.jpg

Id like to know what model it could be. Its the guitar i learned how to play on so i would like to try and find one if i could. all i really know is that its a fender. and ive never seen any other like it.

thats my grandpa in the pic, no longer with us, my favorite person of all time.

• Members

Id like to know what model it could be. Its the guitar i learned how to play on so i would like to try and find one if i could. all i really know is that its a fender. and ive never seen any other like it.

thats my grandpa in the pic, no longer with us, my favorite person of all time.

He does look like a very nice man indeed...

• Members

You sure it's a Fender? All I know of have a Martin style teardrop pick guard. All the other early Fenders had 6 on a side tuners, the King, Kingman, Malibu & etc except the folk. It had a slotted headstock. There was an early F series too but it had the teardrop pick guard. I also think all the Fenders had dot inlays. That guitar has what look to be diamond inlays.

There were some made by Harmony and I can't remember ever seeing one so I suppose it's possible it could be one of those.

• Members

If that's a Fender branded guitar that would be a circa early to mid 70s Made in Japan "Martin style" dreadnought acoustic. If you have other pix that show the bridge that would help pin down the era with a bridge with two screws on each side being earlier. Probably had a model number that was F something. With the snowflake inlays and muliple body binding that would have been a better model. Odds are good there are similar guitars from that era with other brands on the headstock.

• Members

These are the Fender acoustic guitars by name. I tried to source them out but it's a hit/miss thing.

Acoustic Guitars

Fender Avalon

Fender King, later named the Kingman

Fender Wildwood

Fender Folk

Fender Shenandoah

Fender Malibu

Fender Villager

Fender Palomino

Fender Newporter

Fender Redondo

Fender Kingman S

Fender Kingman SCE

Fender Malibu S

Fender Malibu SCE

Fender Sonoran S

Fender Sonoran SCE

Fender Ensanada Series

Fender Squier MA-1

Fender Stratacoustic

Fender Telecoustic

• Members

Very much a "Gibson Hummingbird-type" pickguard...definitely not a Harmony-produced Fender, not a bolt-necked 60s era Fender, but might possibly be a mid-70s era Fender (although I don't ever recall seeing one that nice)...looks a great deal like a buddy of mine's mid-70s Yamaha...I sent him a text message inquiring as to it's model #.

Have you any pics of the entire guitar?

Or one showing the headstock?

• Members

You sure it's a Fender? All I know of have a Martin style teardrop pick guard. All the other early Fenders had 6 on a side tuners, the King, Kingman, Malibu & etc except the folk. It had a slotted headstock. There was an early F series too but it had the teardrop pick guard. I also think all the Fenders had dot inlays. That guitar has what look to be diamond inlays.

There were some made by Harmony and I can't remember ever seeing one so I suppose it's possible it could be one of those.

yeah its diffently a fender. that i remember. i dont have the guitar anymore. When i was in grade school, the janitor at school let me borrow that acoustic for like 4 or 5 years so i could learn how to play the guitar. When i bought my taylor i gave the fender back. But side by side the fender played and sounded just as good or not beter than my taylor. if i could find him i would buy it off of him if he would sell it. I have my parents seeing if they can find him since they were both teachers at that school they would have a better chance than me. it just has a lot of value to me being my first guitar and all, even though it wasnt mine. and if i cant find him id like to find another just like it.

my grandpa was the only other person in my family to play an instrument. guitar fiddle, and a mandolin. which he gave me the mandolin, its a kalamazoo, which if im not missinformed is a brand gibson made during the depression. my uncle has his fiddle just stashed away in his attic. wish i could talk him into letting me have it since its just sitting there collecting dust. but that would probably be a touchy subject and as soon as i asked for it he would act like it ment the world to him. My grandpa got his fingers cut off working on a lawn mower when i was little (they put them back on but he never could bend them enough play any chords or anything) so i never got to hear him play, only the stories which, were good enough for me.

thanks for all the help.

ill send the pic to fender and see if they know anything.

• Members

Very much a "Gibson Hummingbird-type" pickguard...definitely not a Harmony-produced Fender, not a bolt-necked 60s era Fender, but might possibly be a mid-70s era Fender (although I don't ever recall seeing one that nice)...looks a great deal like a buddy of mine's mid-70s Yamaha...I sent him a text message inquiring as to it's model #.

Have you any pics of the entire guitar?

Or one showing the headstock?

I agree, the guard is very much "hummingbirdish" and about the possibility of it being a Yamaha. I didn't think it was a Harmony made unit but I've never, to my knowledge, seen one of those.

All the other early Fenders, I'm quite sure, had more of the Martin style guard.

I'm betting, if Fender responds to the OP's inquiry, the answer will be not a Fender, or not a known Fender.

It would be possible that someone replaced the stock pick guard.

• Members

this looks pretty close, however the pick guard is not the same, and i dont think the bridge is the same, everything else pretty much looks like the one i remember.

From what little I know for sure, and what I've been able to dredge up, all the F Fenders had that Martin style pick guard. Maybe someone changed it.

The inlays do look similar.

Archived