Anyone familiar w/ Garrison guitars?

alley trash

• Members

A friend in Canada tells me he just got one & seems to think it's fantastic.

It's all solid woods, but has some type of fiberglass skeleton. (his wording) And it's supposed to allow the body to reverbirate better.

Again, I'm asking, not telling. He said a local store has a few on sale as they are another Mom & Pop being forced out of biz. I'm thinking if they're that nice I might have him grab one for me.

Anyone here ever tried, or own one?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

• Members

yeah, he mentioned something about Gibson buying them out. Again, I'm just relaying the story he got from a store owner i've never talked to.

Supposedly they were originally being built in New Finland (Im pretty sure he said New Finland) until the company was bought by Gibson. The store owner claims his stock is from the original manufacturing, before Gibson.

again, this is why I'm asking here before jumping into what sounds good from just one person.

thanks again!

• Members

Gibson bought Garrison to get the manufacturing capacity for inexpensive North American Guitars.

The Garrison unique design (One piece composite bracing) never really caught on. I have played one and it was very deep, but the mids and uppers were muddy. I didnt care for it.

• Members

When Gibson bought Garrison, they stipulated that any Guitars made before that date were no longer covered by any warranty. So I would not buy an old-stock Garrison. Also, it has been suggested that the difference in the way the fiberglass skeleton and the wood body respond to changes in temperature and moisture is responsible for the many reports of Garrisons cracking/splitting.

• Members

yeah, he mentioned something about Gibson buying them out. Again, I'm just relaying the story he got from a store owner i've never talked to.

Supposedly they were originally being built in New Finland (Im pretty sure he said
New Finland
) until the company was bought by Gibson. The store owner claims his stock is from the original manufacturing, before Gibson.

again, this is why I'm asking here before jumping into what sounds good from just one person.

thanks again!

Ummm..it's spelled "Newfoundland" but when we say it fast it sounds like "Newfinland"...:lol:

newfoundland_map.jpg

Anyhow...

The story I hear about Garrison guitars is that the the body starts to seperate from the fiberglass bracing or "skeleton" because the wood moves due to climate conditions yet the fibreglass bracing does not. I think this might be why Gibson will not honour any Garrison guitar warranty repairs to any Garrisons manufactured before the Gibson take over.

My advice having played Garrisons is to stay away...simply because of the fibreglass bracing problems.

• Members

Ummm..it's spelled
"Newfoundland"
but when we say it fast it sounds like "Newfinland"...
:lol:

Anyhow...

The story I hear about Garrison guitars is that the the body starts to seperate from the fiberglass bracing or "skeleton" because the wood moves due to climate conditions yet the fibreglass bracing does not. I think this might be why Gibson will not honour any Garrison guitar warranty repairs to any Garrisons manufactured before the Gibson take over.

My advice having played Garrisons is to stay away...simply because of the fibreglass bracing problems.

I second that. They sound weird. They have a tendency to crack. They're not cheap. And they carry much negative energy as a result of the Gibson/Chris Griffiths deal that screwed anyone who owned a Garrison, and every dealer that stocked them.

For about the same money check out Seagull or Simon and Patrick. Both are very decent products from the Godin company in Quebec.

• Members

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth defending Garrison. I've got a G-10 Garrison that I purchased in Aug 2002 and it has been fanastic!!! This was there lowest end guitar at the time; had the composite bracing, all solid birch. Everyone that has seen me play has commented on how nice of a looking guitar it is and the sound. It sounds and plays very nice IMHO. I like it well enough that in Dec 2004, I purchased another Garrison - this time one of the Chinese made one - composite top brace only, solid cedar top laminateed back/sides. This is also a very nice guitar - plays very well and has a very full rich sound. In the years I've had them I've seen no evidence that it separating, cracking or any way "comming apart". I don't know how the Gibson branded Garrison's would be, but I've been happy with mine. I would suggest (if possible) play one yourself and see what you think. I would like to mention that I also have a Japanese made Takamine and Chinese made Ibanez and the difference between these four guitars is minimal. Each has a unique feel and each plays and feels different, but in a good way. I love them all.

• Members

The call has been made & I have passed on the deal for a Garrison.

I appreciate the attention to details in the comments. It helped a lot knowing that it wasn't turning into a hate this hate that thread. Not to try and bash 'em at all, because now I obviously do not have experience with one. But the negative concerns have seemed to out weigh any positives.

Forgive my speeling pleeeeeze and I will promise to pronounce Newfin..... oops, Newfoundland properly from this day forward!

Bad news............ I still have goat envy. Is there a forum for that?

• Members

Forgive my speeling pleeeeeze and I will promise to pronounce Newfin..... oops, Newfoundland properly from this day forward!

No need to apologize you were just spelling it how it sounds when we say it. It actually is pronounced "Newfinland" but spelled as "Newfoundland".

As far as the Garrison guitars I think some do actually sound and play very well as they would not have even sold any. I am sure there are also very many satisfied Garrison players. I guess some folks managed to get a few duds. I did play a couple of Garrisons a few years back and they seemed nice but not remarkable. I didn't even know anything about this bracing system they used but they didn't standout and make me want to purchase one.

Keep looking..it's part of the fun! :)

• Members

Oh man, now I'm a mess. I've been walking around saying New found Land all day! ....this'll take some time;)

I'm not really hunting, I have a couple beaters. Well, one beater & one that needs some work. It was just one of those things. I've been keeping a lookout for something interesting & affordable that would be a keeper. Since this would have been bought site unseen, it would have taken a full round of "you'd be silly not to" posts to make me jump. Even 1/2 good 1/2 bad would have been enough to stear me away.

some day you'll be showing me goats!

• Members

I'm from Newfoundland so allow me to wade in on the pronunciation question. Sound it to rhyme with "understand". Stress the "land" and you've got it. For some reason Mainlanders (yes, that's what we call everyone else) stress the "found". We can spot you a mile away.

As for the warranty issues and the cracking problems: first I heard of it and, no, I don't own one. For what it's worth, I understand that Daniel Lanois is a fan and owns several. I saw him playing a Garrison when he played here at the Juno Awards a few years back.

• Members

I bought a G35 (birch sides and back, cedar top, ebony fretboard) in 2005 (it was a year or two old by then) and to this day it is the best acoustic I have ever played. In fact, it was a toss-up between this and another of the same model. I've also heard nothing but good things from anyone else who owns one, but perhaps those in different climates have trouble with separation - it is relatively dry here year-round. There is a crack in the finish from the bridge down to the end of the guitar, but it's only visible if you hold the guitar juuusssst right.

Archived