Thoughts On Greg Bennett OM-6CE Samick Acoustic/Electric?

Schultzie

• Members

I was looking for an orchestra model acoustic, and I came across a good deal on a Greg Bennett OM-6CE Samick acoustic/electric. I'm not sure what quality the guitar is, however, so If you know about these guitars (or own one), please let me know what you think of them.

Here's a link to the guitar if you want to check it out:

http://www.guitareast.com/sagrbewiacgu1.html

Thanks! :)

• Members

Hey, I can't speak to the OM-6CE but I do have an OM-7 and it's a nice little guitar for the money (mine cost $225). The smaller body causes it to sound a little boxy at times (and it's no strummer of course) but it seems very well made and I don't plan on getting rid of it. Perfect body size for sitting in bed and picking away, a 1-3/4" nut would make it perfect. And, hey, a solid top and Grover tuners? Even better. Hopefully someone can comment on the specific model you're looking at.

Only bad thing I can say is regarding Samick customer service in that it seems non-existent :)

• Members

You might know this already but Samick is the largest maker of guitars in the world. They make a number of well-known brands, including Epiphone. The guitars they make under their own name are as good as just about anything out there. There's a store near me, Ron Busch Guitar Studio, that carries Samick and I've played a few of the ones he stocks. Don't recall if I've ever played that model but I doubt you'll go wrong.

• Members

Ok, today I had the chance to really put one of these beauties thru it's paces. Beautiful guitar played thru some fancy little $800 jazz amp and compared to my Alvarez Dread, played the Sam 1st, I was amazed at the quality and loudness of the preamp, The store guy wasa little too much, it was feeding back like crazy, so I tried to turn the volume down on the guitar, Oh no, don't do that, it won't sound as good(knew what he meant how be it a bit OCD here, I played it for awhile thru my Hartman Compressor, His guitar teacher walked by and became enamored with my pedal, so I told him about it. This is a fine instrument, how be it, the piezo sound is a bit bright for me, I would just get a regular Samick OM5 and soundhole it. My Alvarez was harder to hold than the sam, well i mean, less comfy, but it was weird, when i was one, played a bout a half hour, my neck was killing me, that don't happen with my dread, could have been the 12 strings, I use 10s on my Alvarez. So, I don't know, still like a Venetian cutaway better, but this one good guitar for 299.

Also, checked out a Carl Martin Red Repeat , nice pedal, lots of tweaking to get there though.

Getting a blem 4 knob Keeley comp this week, cause of an article I wrote about pedals, will share it here, not on the pedal forum, it gets a bit too crazy over there

http://www.countrystarsonline.com/reviewarchives/2008/PedalShootout_JM.htm

Jim

:cop:

Archived