e string height?

strump

• Members

I'm not familiar with the Seagull S6, but many guitars have a spec. of 3/32 for the low E and 2/32 for the high E. The amplitude of the vibrations on the high E is less, and it can be closer to the fret board without buzzing. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

Chip is pretty much right on, I usually use about 6/64 for the low E and 5/64 for the high, and angle them down as I go across the fretboard (this is with 0.006 to 8 relief). Flatpickers may like a tiny bit higher. If you really want to get detailed, go to Bryan Kimsey's web site (google or via the links in the Annex) and read both the section on setup and his article on relief vs action. Bryan's setup page gives the exact numbers that he uses and I pretty much follow those

• Members

The strings should get progressively closer to the frets as you move from the low E to the high E. 3/32" for the low E and 2/32" (1/16") for the high E at the 12th fret is about what I normally aim for. Part of the problem is that you're measuring from the fret to the string, which is what most of us do, and Seagull appears to be measuring from the surface of the fingerboard. If you allow 2/64" (1/32") for the height of the fret (I don't have a guitar handy--yes, I know, shameful--so I'm guessing), that leaves 3/64" which is pretty low, IMHO. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have it set up so you know everything is the way it should be.

• Members

Ok just don't hurt me. :poke:

But yeah sounds like there's no adjustment to be made by the fret measurements contradictory to the measurements at the fingerboard using Seagull's method.

Strump, I am going to hurt you just a tiny bit. Did you google out the links that I suggested? If not, here they are for you

http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/index.htm

and the very detailed on for relief vs action

http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/neck_relief_1.htm

I'll even copy-paste the exact measurements that Kimsey uses (he set up both my Martins and I follow these on everything I do)

I like to setup acoustic guitars with .004"-.008" of neck relief, as measured by capoing the first fret, holding down the low E at the body, and measuring clearance at the 7th fret. I like the following measurements for 12th fret action:

E = .105, A = .100, D = .095, G = .090, B = .085, E = .080

there are even pics of how and where he measures using feeler gauges

• Members

I think your right..if I measure three times with the feeler gauge I get three different answers, pretty close but still a pain in the butt.

Boy I would hate to hear my mechanic say that if he were adjusting my valves.

I've seen a really cool trick with feeler gauges. Clip one lead of a little voltage tester (set to measure continuity) to a string, the other to your feeler gauge. Lay the blade of the gauge on a fret and tap the string to make it touch - you should just barely feel it move and then you should hear the continuity tester.

StewMac has a lot of fancy and expensive tools to help you set up your gits, but I'm happy with a plain old mechanics rule (graduated in 64ths, automotive feeler gauges and my reading glasses)

Archived