Possible acoustic guitar /amp setup?

myname1

• Members

This is what I am thinking of buying for an acoustic guitar and amp and effects. (I already own the Boss AD 3)

First the acoustic/electric I will be playing through....Martin OMC with fishman aura electronics.

http://www.music123.com/Martin-OMC-Aura-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514517-i1148322.Music123

I will run it through this acoustic guitar amp. An AER Alpha acoustic guitar amp

http://dreamguitars.stores.yahoo.net/aeralpha.html

I also have a Boss AD-3 for a little chorus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-AD3-Acoustic-Instrument-Processor?sku=151359

Would this be a decent acoustic guitar and amp setup?

I have heard pretty good things about the AER acoustic guitar amp and the Martin OMC cutaway guitar with the aura system by fishman.

Thoughts?

• Members

Yes that would be a nice set up....

That Martin is very sweet guitar! I got to play one a couple of weeks ago @ a party, (very hard to put down).

I have not played the AER Alpha acoustic amp before. It almost cost as much as my Rivera.

*Do you really need a acoustic amp? I mean have you thought about using a P.A. system. After buying my amp, (I did use it for many gigs) then I realized that - its really heavy & I could just plug into a P.A. & not have to worry about the amp. I just did like carrying the extra weight around.

• Members

Do you really need a acoustic amp? I mean have you thought about using a P.A. system. After buying my amp, (I did use it for many gigs) then I realized that - its really heavy & I could just plug into a P.A. & not have to worry about the amp. I just did like carrying the extra weight around.

Yeah, I really need an amp, as I play in church and need a monitor for the acoustic....as the sound men I work with are not professional and I could not trust them just to put my acoustic guitar through the monitors when I need to have it in them.

The AER is supposed to be a german made amp, but high dollar and used by a lot of professional acoustic guitar players.

• Members

I really like Schertler amps. I originally was going to get the David, but I got the Unico (a little more juice and an extra input). To be honest, I could've gotten by with the just the David.

I'd also check into Phil Jones Cub AG-100. Read some great reviews. Super portable and great sound.

Were I in the market and spending the same amount as I did for the Unico, I'd seriously consider the Acoustic Image Corus Series III.

Oh, and if you're looking just for a monitor, check out the Mackie SRM150. I've used it in church situations (and at small room gigs) and it's awesome.

• Members

Last weekend I played a 000-16GT w/ the Aura system. That p/u system it some very nice kit, imo. We messed around with blending some, but the sound coming straight from the bridge was very clean.

I've also recently taken that very AER into a practice room at the LMS and I came away completely underwhelmed wrt features and sound quality. There are much nicer amps out there for much less money.

• Members

I think it sounds like a fine setup. One thing though, I personally wouldn't get the AER because of how expensive it is. I would sooner get a Crate Gunnison. Twenty more watts, one more channel, more inputs/outputs, more knobs (always a plus for a tone-tweaker like me), more flexible EQ, more effects, feedback filters, CD/Line in Channel, and finally, the kicker- more than $500 less!! :freak:

I personally think you can do way better for the money than the AER, unless you've tried it and absolutely love the sound.

Ellen

• Members

Depends how straight and pure you want your acoustic sound.

Ellen sees value in having filters and effects, I like the AERs for the absence of those and the stonking acoustic reproduction, feeling that I can always add in bells and whistles by other electric devices if I want.

Tommy Emmanuel, for one, uses the AER and is widely respected for his sound - both straight and very heavily worked. I think taste and budget are two huge factors here.

I hope you get it right for you :thu:

• Members

i might be stoned for this, but i think when youve heard/played/seen a new martin youve heard/played/seen them all, and that one is on the high side. id invest in a good vintage acoustic, a good pickup professionally installed, the big fishman acoustic amp (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fishman-Loudbox-Performer-Acoustic-Combo-Amp?sku=480242), and the pedal doesnt seem worth the money after reading the review (but you already own it). thats just my opinion in a nutshell.

• Members

Ellen sees value in having filters and effects, I like the AERs for the absence of those and the stonking acoustic reproduction, feeling that I can always add in bells and whistles by other electric devices if I want.

I definitely agree with you that pure acoustic reproduction is way more important than bells and whistles. It's just that the AER costs more than $500 more than the Crate, an amp that I think has a great sound. IMO, the AERs I've played don't sound $500 better than a Crate.

But that's just my ranting. You've hit the nail the head with the last sentence of your post: "getting it right for you." I worry sometimes that people just get an amp without thinking about how its going to respond to your guitar and your electronics. It's just as much a personal choice as strings are, and it can make a difference in your sound.

Ellen

Archived