Empty Handed Again, saw a Yami LL6

Simon76

• Members

Went into a local store determined to get either a Yamaha FG730S or a FG750S. Had a sales dude grab a tuner and A/B them while I looked out the window. Some times stores will tune down a git to try and move it by making it have more bass.

It reaffirmed that I prefer the sound of the FG730S over the FG750. So we started talking about price, setup, cases etc. The thought of walking out with the 730 was was invading my taste buds.

Then things began to unravel. The sales dude introduced me to a Yamaha LL6. He tuned it to the same pitch and and the sound was definately fuller and better balanced than the 730.

The LL6 has a larger nut at 1 3/4", solid Engelmann top, laminated b/s, handmade, ebony fretboard and bridge, gold tuners and comes with a very nice tight fitting hard foam case. for $500 and includes a setup and a $60 store gift card for strings for a year or whatever you want.

The only problem with the LL6 was the rosewood had almost no striping, no visual personnality. It looked more like Mahogany unless you looked at it real close. I'm being picky but that would bother me. Every time I saw pretty rosewood it would still tug at my heart strings and remind me of that void.

I was thrown off track from getting that FG730. I had to leave empty handed to contemplate spending that extra $200 (did I mention it comes with a nice case?).

Some places have them listed at $650, some at $500, last year there was a thread here that mentioned under $400 I think but no mention of a case.

Has anyone else tried a Yamaha LL6?

signed: conflicted,

I mean confused.

• Members

I liked the feel of that neck too.

I'm 6' tall and have pretty good sized hands, always have to get XL sized gloves. So that 1 3/4" neck and the profile was very comfortable for me.

The LL6 and the FG730S both really resonate back at you, I like that.

• Members

The '6' series of the handmade L's is the lowest level of the handmades and the only ones with laminated b/s. Some of the laminated b/s sets the L factory gets have be nicer then the 1 example I've seen.

I'm thinking I should wait till I find the right LL6 for the right money.

Archived