Little Chord structure help please...

Ohioarrow

• Members

Could any of you fine folks out there identify this chord?

x35453

Does it have a proper name? And if it does how do you arrive at that name? I ask the latter so I don't ask any more stupid questions like this.

I arrived at the chord by accident, dooddling around with an original piece. Thought it sounded cool. Then I shuffled through all my chord charts and can't seem to find it.

I get the feeling I am going to feel silly when someone blurts out an answer that I should have known.

• Members

Cmaj7. Think of it as an A-shaped C barre-chord - x35553 - then you're dropping the C on the 3rd string 1/2 step, which is the major 7th tone (B). So the notes are C-G-B-E-G (I-V-majVII-III-V).

• Members

Ok, I got confused on this EasyChord utility tool. I thought C7 was a "C major 7th" - but look down the list a little and it does have a predefined Cmaj7 with that shape defined.

So C7 at the 3rd fret is:

x35353

and Cmaj7 at the 3rd is:

x35453

That kind of changes my perspective on things a little because I always thought that without a modifier (like m/dim/sus/etc) a stand alone C (and other base notes) was understood to be a major.

• Members

That kind of changes my perspective on things a little because I always thought that without a modifier (like m/dim/sus/etc) a stand alone C (and other base notes) was understood to be a major.

[warning - I am not a music theorist, this is a lay musician's understanding which may or may not be correct]

I'm not sure if this is where your confusion was, but the sort of confusing thing about major 7ths vs. regular (often called dominant) 7ths is that both contain the major triad (I-III-V) of the chord...but in the dominant 7th chord the '7 note' is actually minor.

So if you're doing it with C as your root you have C-E-G-Bb for a C7 chord (the 7 is Bb), whereas for Cmaj7 you have C-E-G-B (the 7 is B natural).

Not to confuse further, but in the min7 chord (eg Cmin7) the 'min' refers to the 3rd, meaning you're using the C minor triad (C-Eb-G) along with the dominant 7 (Bb).

At least, that's how I think of it...typically 7 chords are dominants and when you're building onto 7ths (9ths, 11ths, 13ths), you're using the dominant 7 (eg Bb in the key of C) unless that 'maj' or a triangle (also symbolizing a major 7th tone) is floating around. So, C9 = C-E-G-Bb-D whereas Cmaj9 = C-E-G-B-D.

• Members

At least, that's how I think of it...typically 7 chords are dominants and when you're building onto 7ths (9ths, 11ths, 13ths), you're using the dominant 7 (eg Bb in the key of C) unless that 'maj' or a triangle (also symbolizing a major 7th tone) is floating around. So, C9 = C-E-G-Bb-D whereas Cmaj9 = C-E-G-B-D.

Yep you're right on the money. Unless the 7th has a modifier of some sort it's assumed to be flat.

• Members

I'm not sure if this is where your confusion was, but the sort of confusing thing about major 7ths vs. regular (often called dominant) 7ths is that both contain the major triad (I-III-V) of the chord...but in the dominant 7th chord the '7 note' is actually minor.

So if you're doing it with C as your root you have C-E-G-Bb for a C7 chord (the 7 is Bb), whereas for Cmaj7 you have C-E-G-B (the 7 is B natural).

Not to confuse further, but in the min7 chord (eg Cmin7) the 'min' refers to the 3rd, meaning you're using the C minor triad (C-Eb-G) along with the dominant 7 (Bb).

That's exactly where my confusion was.

What I do not know about music theory would fill a book. Learn something new every day.

Much appreciated.

• Members

As others have said, this is a Cmaj7 chord with the root on the 5th or A string. It is one of the three most popular of the maj7 chord forms. A 1-4 chord progression becomes easy to play from this position. You just the move three fingers up a string to get an F7.

You can also include the sixth string in the chord because it has the 5th note of the scale or G in this case. So you can play on the lower strings for a bassier tone or on the higher strings for a more piercing tone or all six strings if it suits your fancy.

The Maj7 chords are very, very common in jazz. They are often subsituted for tonic major chords.

• Members

That's exactly where my confusion was.

What I do not know about music theory would fill a book. Learn something new every day.

Much appreciated.

I am with you there

I play mainly by ear and really need to learn some of this stuff.

• Members

The Maj7 chords are very, very common in jazz. They are often subsituted for tonic major chords.

For the bop guys it is, but for the swing cats and earlier the 6 chord was much more common. Nowadays you do whatever suits your fancy. I like the 6 chord, but it depends on the melody note.

• Members
Pro Tab has a chord dictionary in the Tools section with a lookup feature that lets you fill in a chord diagram and it comes back with the name(s) of the chord. In this case, it has 10 names for the chord, including Cmaj7. It gives you 40 voicings for Cmaj7. Far and away the best chord reference I've ever used.

Archived