Best Buy launches musical instruments stores

VengefulTikiGod

• Members

Anyone know anything more about this? Just a few locations for now and not much info on their website, but there it is. They claim that they will have top brands and everything. I imagine it will be pretty much the same as guitar center. Again, anyone hear of this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat145600050011&type=category

• Members

I'd hate to think of a store with nothing but Maestro and First Act, with an occasional Vinci thrown in for good measure.

Luckily I don't have that problem - they have no stores in the U.K.!!

That means they are easy to avoid!

• Members

I'd hate to think of a store with nothing but Maestro and First Act, with an occasional Vinci thrown in for good measure.

I've read somewhere that they're going to carry big brands like Gibson and Fender actually.

• Members

Funny, I stopped shopping at Best Buy about a year before I stopped shopping at Guitar Centers...

long story, but I went there 3 times over about a 3 month period to buy their CD packs on sale from the Sunday newspaper adv. each time they were "sold out" of the sale item. The 3rd time it happened to be a 100-pack, which actually was 2 50-packs shrinkwrapped together. What I did find was two 50-packs of the exact same brand but not shrinkwrapped. Took them up to the counter, the kid at the register rings them up they come up at 2X the regular price. Nice kid. I showed him the adv & asked him to check with his manager. He came back and apologized but said his manager said it was a different SKU so he couldn't honor the price. I told him that I understood and that he didn't make the rules, but the next time you go to one of your staff meetings, please tell your manager this story and tell him that this is why I will never darken the door of a Best Buy store again. That wa about 4 years ago. I kept my word.

Buy a guitar from Best Buy?

I don't think so.

• Members

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. They already sell a few keyboards and guitars. I was in a BB recently and saw a Casio keyboard with weighted hammer-action - nice KB - for $499. Checked it out on the MF site and it was $399. That means it should sell for $299 at any "normal" place. Good luck, BB.

• Members

I went by the one in VA yesterday on a business trip. It's not a music store so much as a corner of a regular Best Buy with music equipment.

The selection was fair, not great. They had Fender, Washburn, Epiphone, and Gibson. The only high end acoustics were the Gibsons (Songwriter, Dove, Hummingbird). They also carried a few models of "Gibson Canadian" acoustics that I had never seen before, priced in the 800-1200 range.

They had a small-ish selection of low to mid-grade PA gear (Yamaha, Peavey PR, EV Force, etc), and a decent selection of electric guitars and effect pedals. With electrics, it ranged from cheapo Daisy Rock stuff all the way up to American strats and Les Pauls.

All in all, I'd say they had about 1/4 the selection of a GC or Sam Ash.

I don't think I'd buy serious gear there, but maybe a set of strings, a cable, a connector, etc if I had one near by.

• Members

They had Fender, Washburn, Epiphone, and Gibson. The only high end acoustics were the Gibsons (Songwriter, Dove, Hummingbird). They also carried a few models of "Gibson Canadian" acoustics that I had never seen before, priced in the 800-1200 range.

Were they out so you could just pick them up and play them? The thought of nice guitars like Gibson Doves, Songwriters and Hummingbirds just hanging around out in the open in a place like Best Buy is disturbing. :D

I wonder if Best Buy has struck up some kind of a deal with MF/GC?

• Members

Were they out so you could just pick them up and play them? The thought of nice guitars like Gibson Doves, Songwriters and Hummingbirds just hanging around out in the open in a place like Best Buy is disturbing.
:D

The really high end stuff was up very high on the wall, so you couldn't reach it without the help of an associate. But you are exactly right, and I was thinking the same thing. Case in point - there were some kids in there beating the electronic drum kits to death.

Archived