Will leaving my acoustic stringless do any damage?

eddidaz

• Members

I was re-stringing but appear to have lost the set of strings I could have sworn I had. Normally I only take them off 1 or 2 at a time but this time I took them all off so I could clean and lemon oil the fretboard properly.

Will this do any harm for a couple of days while I get a chance to buy some more strings?

• Members

Many luthiers recommend not leaving a guitar unstrung. It can have an effect on the neck relief and consequently action as the truss rod still has the tension on it to counteract string tension. This can result in a backward bowing neck. To avoid this problem it is recommended to change strings one at a time in order to keep constant string pressure on the neck.

bigald18

• Members

I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but......

I don't think a few days will hurt anything. Git necks and truss rods are sturdier than most people think.

Additionally, all strings are routinely removed for things such as fretboard maintenance, fret dressing and/or leveling, saddle adjustments, PUP installations, etc. The git necks remain stable, none the worse for the procedures.

I'm also of the opinion that changing strings one at a time as opposed to all at once is a matter of personal preference. I think the jury is out on whether there is a technical/structural reason for changing them one at a time.

• Members

I'm sure everything will be fine. Look at it this way...

A git undergoing structural repair - crack repair, brace repair, etc., is unstrung for many days. Their necks survive and your git's will too.

Best of luck.

• Members

I am with Samilyn...when I work on guitars I often leave the strings off for several days and there is no change in any measurements. I have heard that if you are going to leave the strings off for a long time that you should loosen the truss rod so there is no stress being placed on the neck at all.

• Members

You may find your guitar is buzzing once you've re-strung it, but don't worry. This is because the truss rod has kept doing it's job while the strings were off and very probably taken the neck back a little further than normal. Give the truss rod a little while (A couple of days) to settle back in and all should be fine once the buzzing - if any - stops. Expect to have a bit of extra re-tuning on your hands for anything up to a week as the neck adjusts itself to string tension.

Don't do it again and make sure you have strings at the ready next time you try for a string change. :cop:

• Members

I'm sure everything will be fine. Look at it this way...

A git undergoing structural repair - crack repair, brace repair, etc., is unstrung for many days. Their necks survive and your git's will too.

Best of luck.

Gotta go with Sami on this one. I have friends who treat the guitar like it will explode if all the strings are taken off at one time. I always take off all the strings when I am changing strings. Luthiers I have known laugh at the suggestion that damage can occur if all the strings come off. A silly urban legend, IMHO. Gary is a voice of reason - IF there were any change, it would settle back in no time.

• Members

Fear not. :thu: Samilyn, jwm1958m, Gary, and Totamus are right. While it's probably better not to leave it unstrung for a long period of time, this short period will do no lasting harm.

What will likely happen is that it will take the guitar a day or two to settle in again after the new strings are on. ;)

• Members

Stringed instruments like violins $ cellos have an internal soundpost that is held in place by string tension. The soundpost may be displaced if all the strings are removed at once.

Guitars don't have this soundpost. There should be no problem in leaving it unstrung for a while.

• Members

I got to ask. What is it with this question? It has got to be one of the most asked, if not THE MOST ASKED. I won't say what I think because someone already said what I think and KNOW is the answer, I have 1st hand experience with this.

• Members

Stringed instruments like violins $ cellos have an internal soundpost that is held in place by string tension. The soundpost may be displaced if all the strings are removed at once.

Guitars don't have this soundpost. There should be no problem in leaving it unstrung for a while.

Some guitars do. I remember the first time I tried to restring a Gretsch Tennesean. Took all the strings off, and the bridge fell off. Duh? :facepalm:

• Members

Some guitars do. I remember the first time I tried to restring a Gretsch Tennesean. Took all the strings off, and the bridge fell off. Duh?
:facepalm:

It's not quite the same as the violin/cello sound post mentioned, but it is a very, very similar problem. The only difference being that string pressure holds a guitar bridge in place, whereas on a violin/cello the strings hold the bridge in place and the pressure of the bridge on the soundboard holds the internal sound posts (Directly beneath bridge) in place.

• Members

It's not quite the same as the violin/cello sound post mentioned, but it is a very, very similar problem. The only difference being that string pressure holds a guitar bridge in place, whereas on a violin/cello the strings hold the bridge in place and the pressure of the bridge on the soundboard holds the internal sound posts (Directly beneath bridge) in place.

:thu: I remember someone telling me that about a fiddle. Good thing to remember the next time I string up a violin or cello. :lol:

• Members

Tennesseans don't have soundposts, but some other, non-sealed Gretsches do, to try to cut feedback. My 6120AM has a soundpost.

• Members

Tennesseans don't have soundposts, but some other, non-sealed Gretsches do, to try to cut feedback. My 6120AM has a soundpost.

Yes indeed, many arch tops do as they share many similarities with their not too distant cousins, whilst others utilise central tone blocks, or none at all. :thu:

Archived