Inspiration ?

larsomatic

• Members

I know this might be OT; but, I feel like I am in a rut and just wondering if anyone else has been through this?I by no means consider myself a song writer.* I may never get my own stuff out there; I write for cathartic /theraputic reasons only anyways.In the last few years I wrote a few verses down and it really seems to work better than any psychologist or drug .In feb. I lost an old yellow lab that I have had for 13+ yrs; got him at 41/2 weeks old. I can,t tell you how much I love/miss that dumb old dog.I haven't been able to put anything down on paper since. I mean, I start to, with my guitar in my lap and my head full of ideas;but, It just starts going south from there. I eventually get frustrated and just give up.I feel like I have cried all my tears over him and said goodbye: but , that is the only thing major that has gone on in my life since I have started having this thing going wrong with my writing so it has to be that, right ?!?Maybe it's something else, I don't know.If anyone out there has been through something like this I could really use the advice.

• Members

I have been through similar times and the only thing that has worked for me is to put it up and walk away for a while. When I come back to it, I am ready and the rut is over, things are in a new perspective.

How long? anywhere from a week to a couple of months. Think I went 6 months once. It has worked every time, but is hard to do. Just walk away...

• Members

I have been through similar times and the only thing that has worked for me is to put it up and walk away for a while. When I come back to it, I am ready and the rut is over, things are in a new perspective.

How long? anywhere from a week to a couple of months. Think I went 6 months once. It has worked every time, but is hard to do. Just walk away...

Good advice.

Emotions play a huge part in how you do your job and how you just get through life. When I feel like writing, I write. Sometimes the best stuff just comes out of nowhere. Kinda like playing ability. Some days you can just do it all, others, you can't do a thing. I once walked away from playing guitar for 10 years. Yeah 10. When Steve Goodman died, I was strangely affected by it. I assume it's that way with your pet. In time everything passes. This will too. Don't bury your feelings though, let them out. Your writing may just jump out when you do. Good luck.

• Members

Man, sorry about your Lab. It's hard to lose a friend like that.

Write what you feel. Don't worry if it's not a complete song. You may finish it tommorrow, it may take twenty years. You'll know when it's right. Don't force it.

Archived