3MA (Madagascar, Mali, Marrocos)

Stackabones

• Members

Bet ya thought this was going to be a thread about exotic woods or fancy new bracing or something like that, right? NOPE. This is about music! Acoustic music! :love:

Kora, Lute, Oud

[YOUTUBE]KtiiM_pnBF4[/YOUTUBE]

3MA = MAdagasgar, MAli, MAroccos (the French spelling)

Heard these guys on the radio (NPR)while driving back from a gig out in FW. The song I heard was Toufala ... can't recall if the vid is the same tune.

Here's a great review.

Diggin' it.

• Members

Thanks for sharing that, Stack. I love "world" music - it can be so raw and vibrant especially since it's often not encumbered by the shackles of equal temperement.

I've spoken about BBC Radio 3 before on the forum - on Saturday afternoon's there is a programme called "World Routes" that invariably rewards a listen to. This week it featured some acts from the WOMAD festival and the closing piece featured 2 kora - un instrument tr

• Members

:(

I missed most of the show (I was in my car, giving a lift to some colleagues, so did not dare to blast it too loudly), but there were some cool excerpts of a Munadjat Yulchieva concert.

She's a beautiful singer from Uzbekistan:

38_uzbekistan_cover.jpg

Highly recommended.

• Members

I just saw the rest of the playlist... I know what I'll be listening to tonight
:love:

Enjoy - I often can't listen to the programme when it goes out on a Saturday afternoon (did this week) but I try to catch it on the web.

BTW, Pascal - the Brecon Jazz Festival takes place this week. Probably the UK's premier jazz event. I can't make it this year due to work commitments but it's a great way to spend the weekend if you can get there.

More about it here: http://www.breconjazz.co.uk/

The "Stroller" ticket (around

• Members

For all US and rest of the world forumites who perhaps can't get the BBC Radioplayer - the last piece (or about 1/2 of the number - called Essaouria) in the WOMAD concert that "World Routes" featured is now up on Youtube:

Toumani Diabate

[YOUTUBE]xYxbe6HruRo[/YOUTUBE]

Archived