Do you work on your guitar?

Kaux

• Members

I've installed a K&K Pure Western mini into and put a bone saddle on my Larrivee but that's about all I feel comfortable doing to it, other than the odd truss rod adjustment.

OTOH, my Tak is a science experiment and general tinkering toy. I've put new tuning machines on it that required reaming out the peg holes and it came out ugly but was otherwise a functional success. I also put a JLD Bridge Doctor inside of it to keep the bridge from pulling off and flattening the top but I ended up cracking the bridge across all 6 pin holes. Which of coure leads to my next project: steaming off that bridge and replacing it - which is beyond my techncial abilities. It's hardly worth paying someone else to do though so I'm just biding my time until I can replace the guitar altogether and upgrade to a Martin.

• Members

This DIY luthierism is interesting... i like tool work, and i alway wanted to learn wood work :) Joining those 2 things you like the most, instruments, and tool work sounds like a lot of fun. A lot of work to learn though

• Members

When you buy end pins, is it like a standard or how do you make sure they will fit your guitar?

You can get bridge pins just about anywhere, but Maury's site is particularly good:

Sizes: http://www.maurysmusic.com/fossilized_walrus_ivory_bridge_pin_sizes

Pins: http://www.maurysmusic.com/guitar_bridge_pins

I got my snakewood pins from Stew Mac and they fit just fine.

If you are going to slot your bridge, make sure that you order unslotted pins, and you will have to ream the holes to make them fit.

Most sets include a matching endpin, and and some also have matching strap buttons available.

• Members
If it involves cutting/filing/drilling or anything like that, I let a pro do it.

I'll do anything that involves a screw, a wrench or similar adjustment tool, where the task can be undone. I'll also solder.

Some day, I should pick up a tag sale/goodwill quality acoustic, and try to teach myself these things. But I still won't do any of it on my more expensive stuff

Pretty much how I got into doing repairs...buy a cheapy and fix what's wrong. :thu:

Archived