Yamaha FG7xx series

Kaux

• Members

Hi,

I see almost everybody here agrees that the yamaha fg7xx series are the best value in their price range.

But what is the differences in sound, between the 700, 720, 730 etc...

I know they differ in woods, and bindings etc, but do that translate to their particular tone?

:wave:

• Members

Many say they do, but I don't know. They all have solid spruce tops with different laminate back and sides. I don't know how much the different b/s lam woods affect sound as much as just being a different guitar.

What I mean is this: if you take different FG700S guitars (lam nato b/s), each may have a little different sound. If you take different guitars from the FGxxxS series, you will have different sounds. How much is because of the difference in the laminate woods and how much is because of their simply being different guitars? I don't know.

Bill

• Members

I've played all three.

They do sound different.

The Nato sounds woody and warm, like mahogany (700, 720).

The Rosewood sounds darker and more metallic(730).

What about the 750?

Curious, did you play different 700's and 730's. Wondering if the "woody and warm" and "darker and more metallic" is fairly consistent with each. I've only played one of the 700's and really liked its sound. Nato is a type of mahogany, isn't it?

Bill

• Members

It's to mahogany as sapele is to mahogany.

Sounds very close, but isn't genetically related.

Like asian sapele I guess.

I haven't played a 750, but I've played multiple 700, 720 and 730s.

It seemed to be a pretty consistent difference to my ears.

• Members

Hi,

I have one FS7xx and three F7xx series guitars and bought them primarily as beaters for times when we're away from home. One now belongs to my middle daughter - she kidnapped the 720S - , but I can say from my limited experience, firstly trying them out and later playing them in - that their tonal output and build quality is very consistant across the board.

FS720S - clear top end with clear & light response.

FG720S - clear top end with clear & light response.

FG730S - robust presence, warm and rich tone.

FG750S - mid-high tone, sharp response.

All are articulate, comfortable to play and - despite going over them with a fine toothed comb - flawleshly finished in terms of frets, neck and outward appearance.

I'd say sapele certainly differs with nato in appearance as IMHO nato compares more closely with south american mahogany tonally and in overall appearance than it's african counterpart. Nato may not be of the same genus as mahogany & sapele, but it does it's job well.

Strum a chord and the entire guitar resonates. Pick out individual notes and they ring true and sustain very well in comparison to what you'd expect from a new solid bodies instrument. Basically, these guitars are as lively as a school bus full of kids fed on artificial additives. The laminates used are very consistant in quality, appearance and finish and I feel - even though it takes longer - these guitars are capable of a great deal more than people seem to expect from laminate backed & sided guitars. I feel that they're very capable of maturing nicely as they become "palyed in".

• Members

Hi,

I have one FS7xx and three F7xx series guitars and bought them primarily as beaters for times when we're away from home. One now belongs to my middle daughter - she kidnapped the 720S - , but I can say from my limited experience, firstly trying them out and later playing them in - that their tonal output and build quality is very consistant across the board.

FG730S - robust presence, warm and rich tone.

FG750S - mid-high tone, sharp response.

All are articulate, comfortable to play and - despite going over them with a fine toothed comb - flawleshly finished in terms of frets, neck and outward appearance.

I'd say sapele certainly differs with nato in appearance as IMHO nato compares more closely with south american mahogany tonally and in overall appearance than it's african counterpart. Nato may not be of the same genus as mahogany or sapele, but it does it's job well.

Strum a chord and the entire guitar resonates. Pick out individual notes and they ring true and sustain very well in comparison to what you'd expect from a new solid bodies instrument. Basically, these guitars are as lively as a school bus full of kids fed on artificial additives. The laminates used are very consistant in quality, appearance and finish and I feel - even though it takes longer - these guitars are capable of a great deal more than people seem to expect from laminate backed & sided guitars. I feel that they're very capable of maturing nicely as they become "palyed in".

You guys just ruined my theory! :lol:

Back to the OP, you'll be hard pressed to beat these Yammies for what they cost. Gary alluded to something to keep in mind: If you want a smaller body, there's the FS720S (as opposed to the FG720S). It's the only small body counterpart to the FG7xxS series, I think.

Another point is that the nut width is 1 11/16". That may or may not matter. It's a little more narrow than I prefer, but preferences are what they are. If you mostly strum or flatpick, you'll probably love it.

Best,

Bill

• Members

Hi,

Would you say their botton is weak, or just not that prominent?

Can you elaborate on "light response"?

I would say i am looking for the most balanced of them, clear highs, but also some presence in the botton, and defined mids... does that make any sense? :)

• Members

Would you say their botton is weak, or just not that prominent?

Can you elaborate on "light response"?

No weak bottom end and "light" can be read as "tight" response springing to life with the lightest touch on the strings. The guitar works for you, without having to drive the strings by forceful picking. Ask them to whisper and they'll do so, but ask them to growl and they'll roar.

--------

Bill's right in saying the FS720S is the only smaller bodied guitar among the FG/FG series. Recently bought one for my youngest daughter as an upgrade to her lower grade Alvarez RF8. It blows that and what I've seen of its nearest competitors out of the water.

• Members

Ask them to whisper and they'll do so, but ask them to growl and they'll roar.

:love::eek::love:

Sorry gary to bother this much, but you are so helpful :D

What about the 700?

In the 730 how would you describe this difference when you say " Ask them to whisper and they'll do so, but ask them to growl and they'll roar" in the 720?

The problem is i cant try them, i dont live in the USA so i have to order online, but if i dont like what i get, i dont have the means to return it anyway.

• Members

:love::eek::love:

Sorry gary to bother this much, but you are so helpful
:D

What about the 700?

In the 730 how would you describe this difference when you say " Ask them to whisper and they'll do so, but ask them to growl and they'll roar" in the 720?

The problem is i cant try them, i dont live in the USA so i have to order online, but if i dont like what i get, i dont have the means to return it anyway.

I've played the 700, but was aiming a little higher in the pecking order at the time, so didn't really note much about it - other than the fact it's virtually the same as the 720, but with less bling.

All guitars in the FG/FS series are highly playable and responsive to soft, moderate and hard playing. Their bodies resonate very well and it takes quite a bit of effort to induce buzzing when played hard. They all have laminate back and sides. The 720 is nato (basically pacific rim mahogany) backed and the 730 is indian rosewood backed and both are very capable of giving both high and low end response befitting the timber from which their backs are laminated.

• Members

Yup, the 700 and 720 are the same guitar in slightly different trim. I'm not into "bling" so I opted for the 700; an extremely capable $200 guitar. But, if you enjoy a slightly darker tone, then throw in another $100 and go for the FG730.

IMHO, the Yamaha FG700 and FG730 are without hesitation your best buys in the under $400 price range.

• Members

Yup, the 700 and 720 are the same guitar in slightly different trim. I'm not into "bling" so I opted for the 700; an extremely capable $200 guitar. But, if you enjoy a slightly darker tone, then throw in another $100 and go for the FG730.

IMHO, the Yamaha FG700 and FG730 are without hesitation your best buys in the under $400 price range.

I reduced my options to those 2.. the 700 cause its the less expensive and i love the sandburst finish :) That finish is more matte and less shiny Right? teh photos looks like that.

And there are 735s wich i guess is the same 730 with more eye candy, i am considering it just because they are on sale at MF. The 745 is not in the yamaha website, maybe they are discontinuing it. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG735S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518277

Could we keep elaborating in the differences between the 700 and 730/5?

Thanks to you all for your help

• Members

If you go for the FG700S, they are available everywhere for $199... and I've never seen this model on sale. However, Contois Music (an authorized Yamaha dealer) includes a quality Yamaha Gig Bag for $199.

Armed with a copy of this, I went to Sam Ash and got an FG700S for $199, including a Levy's gig bag and an On Stage guitar stand.

BTW, as far as I know, the "sandburst" you mention is just the colour the top has been sprayed before the gloss coat is applied. This colour option usually cost about an additional $50.

• Members

I reduced my options to those 2.. the 700 cause its the less expensive and i love the sandburst finish
:)
That finish is more matte and less shiny Right? teh photos looks like that.

And there are 735s wich i guess is the same 730 with more eye candy, i am considering it just because they are on sale at MF. The 745 is not in the yamaha website, maybe they are discontinuing it.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG735S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518277

I think the 735 is the 730 with a cherry sunburst. $300 is a good price if you like the burst. I do, FWIW.

Bill

• Members

If you go for the FG700S, they are available everywhere for $199... and I've never seen this model on sale. However, Contois Music (an authorized Yamaha dealer) includes a quality Yamaha Gig Bag for $199.

Armed with a copy of this, I went to Sam Ash and got an FG700S for $199, including a Levy's gig bag and an On Stage guitar stand.

BTW, as far as I know, the "sandburst" you mention is just the colour the top has been sprayed before the gloss coat is applied. This colour option usually cost about an additional $50.

$40 more at MF for the sandburst.

How well is the packaging of them? I am a little scared because it is a long travel for the git from the USA to guatemala where i live. I would like to buy it from some please where they can ship it inside in one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-GA21-SoftPlush-Case-for-FG-Series?sku=540576

I dont know if MF will do it if i ask. And i dont have the money for a hardshell case.

• Members

I reduced my options to those 2.. the 700 cause its the less expensive and i love the sandburst finish
:)

And there are 735s wich i guess is the same 730 with more eye candy, i am considering it just because they are on sale at MF.

FG700S = solid sitka spruce top, nato back and sides.

FG700MS = solid sitka spruce top, nato back and sides.

FG720S = solid sitka spruce top, nato back and sides.

FG720-12 = solid sitka spruce top, nato back and sides.

FG730S = solid sitka spruce top, rosewood back and sides. Warm rich tone.

FG750S = solid sitka spruce top, sycamore back and sides. Mid-high tone with sharp response.

FS720S = solid sitka spruce top, nato back and sides.

IMHO they're all priced well below what could be considered justifiable for instruments at this quality level. Your best bet is to read up on the tonal qualities of nato (mahogany), rosewood and sycamore - albeit laminated - and search for reviews on the guitars that spark your interest.

There's not much more that can be said apart from..........

Which brand and model of guitar are you considering replacing?

Which properties do you prefer in a guitar?

Which style of music will you be playing?

• Members

I think the 735 is the 730 with a cherry sunburst. $300 is a good price if you like the burst. I do, FWIW.

Bill

I recently acquired a used 730s in Vintage Cherry Sunburst for $169. The inside label reads 730S.

The Vintage Cherry Sunburst:

DSCN1802.jpg

The inside label:

DSCN1805.jpg

• Members

Thanks for this thread guys. Really informative.

Went and played a 720s in my local guitar store. Sounded so so sweet, although a tiny bit of fret buzz at some of the higher frets, but definatly an awesome guitar.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 700MG. Can get 'em for around

• Members

Thanks for this thread guys. Really informative.

Went and played a 720s in my local guitar store. Sounded so so sweet, although a tiny bit of fret buzz at some of the higher frets, but definatly an awesome guitar.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 700MG. Can get 'em for around

• Members

Based on several examples, I felt the FG700 was a bit brighter than the FG720 whereas the FG730 was somewhere between those two. All the FG7xx guitars I've tried had the typical compressed response I've noticed with (partially) laminated guitars. Overall the tonality is very much the same, the highs were the only difference I noticed. All were also very well built.

Personally when I was shopping for a guitar in that price range I went for the slightly more expensive but all solid wood Ibanez AW800. It's got minor construction details that are not as good as the Yamaha FGs but to me it sounded more lively. Wish the neck was fatter tho.

• Members

Although I do have a rather subjective question: The washburn D10-S is basically the same price, what are people's opinions on the washburn D10-S vs. the Yamaha 700MG?

I own an FG700S and a Washburn D10S. Although I think the D10S is a decent guitar with good construction and tone, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Yamaha first because of its consistently excellent construction, fit and finish. Plus, it just feels better in my hands than the Washburn... but that's really a subjective point. Of all the cheapy guitars I currently own, I pick up and play the Washburn least; in fact, it's on craigslist for sale right now!

Archived