Yamaha FG7xx series

Kaux

• Members

I agree, go with the Yammy and pass on the Washburn.

I have played them all. The 750s is very attractive looking with sort of matching tuner knobs. Very cool looking. They had one left over at Xmas last year at GC and before I could make up my mind to get it (for like $200) someone else snagged it.

If only they had 1 3/4 nut :D

• Members

This series is on my short list. I do waver a little bit between them. I am drawn to the FS720s for the slightly shorter scale but I haven't found one to play. Could anyone characterize the neck profile differences?

Pat

The same neck profile is used for each FG model - including the FS720S. A shorter scale - FS720S - lends itself to slightly easier playing and use of moderately higher action that leads to more volume. Despite the 1-11/16" nut width I find the neck profile extremely comfortable and don't have any problems playing bluegrass or other elements of fingerstyle using any of the Yammies in my stable. The satin finished neck is a big plus compared to the gloss finished necks more commonly found on instruments within the same budget.

• Members

The same neck profile is used for each FG model - including the FS720S. A shorter scale - FS720S - lends itself to slightly easier playing and use of moderately higher action that leads to more volume. Despite the 1-11/16" nut width I find the neck profile extremely comfortable and don't have any problems playing bluegrass or other elements of fingerstyle using any of the Yammies in my stable. The satin finished neck is a big plus compared to the gloss finished necks more commonly found on instruments within the same budget.

Gary makes a good point about the neck. It is really smooth and fast.

Bill

• Members

It's to mahogany as sapele is to mahogany.

Sounds very close, but isn't genetically related.

Like asian sapele I guess.

I haven't played a 750, but I've played multiple 700, 720 and 730s.

It seemed to be a pretty consistent difference to my ears.

This might sound a bit picky but Sapele is a true Mahogany. For what it's worth and for those who are interested; (Entandrophrangma Cylindricum) called Sapele because it was originaly shipped from the Nigerian port of Sapele, resembles African Mahogany. Density:37.5 lbs. per cubic foot. African Mahogany and South American Mahogany are arround 34lbs. per cubic foot.

• Members

This might sound a bit picky but Sapele is a true Mahogany. For what it's worth and for those who are interested; (Entandrophrangma Cylindricum) called Sapele because it was originaly shipped from the Nigerian port of Sapele, resembles African Mahogany. Density:37.5 lbs. per cubic foot. African Mahogany and South American Mahogany are arround 34lbs. per cubic foot.

:thu:

Archived