AMI: Best Guitar Value for Under $250

telenate

• Members

I had to get a parlor guitar so I could player more quietly in my living room/TV room (my other guitar is a Gibson WM-45). I had always dreamt of a 1900s Martin or Washburn, but now the good ones are getting very expensive.

For some reason browsing the Web I kept seeing talk about Art & Lutherie AMI guitars. I kept checking them out at different online stores and they were sold out at nearly every site.

Well ... I looked at all the testimonials I could find, checked out some samples of AMIs live on YouTube and I was really impressed. Many testimonials claimed the AMI was as good as the Larrivee Parlor, and they may have a point.

I got the Antique Burst model. Here are some specs.

series: Ami

Top: solid cedar

Neck: Silver Leaf Mapel

Finish: Semi-Gloss

Nut Width: 1.72"

Upper Bout: 9.28"

Lower Bout: 13"

Waist: 7.35"

Body Length: 18.3"

Body Depth: 4.2"

Color: Antique Burst

I managed to find a site that were still selling them ($250 is the average.) I had a nice experience with Robb's of Boulder. The quitar showed up in a few days. Taking it out of the box, the guitar screamed "quality." The fit and finish were perfect. The Silver Leaf maple Neck seemed worthy as mahogany. The solid cedar top has a fine burst. (The only thing irksome was the rubber decal rosette. It wasn't bad looking but having it seemed to cheapen the guitar. It peeled right off.)

Playing the guitar is a pleasure. At first, it took time to get used to the nut width and the 12-fret deal but not for long. This is a parlor guitar, not a uke. It really sounds like a fine guitar, great for finger-style and just plain old pickin'. It's just quieter than a dreadnaught or a J-45 type. And it's so comfortable on my lap, so light, there is just no discomfort with this model.

I fully recommend the Art & Lutherie AMI (the solid top models are said to sound better.) I think they're a great guitar for those on a budget or those seeking a quieter guitar that can still boom if pushed.

Attached is a pic.

• Members

I don't know how A & L keeps the quality so high and the prices. The AMI's solid cedar top, solid Silver Leaf maple neck, wild cherry laminate b/s -- The guitar is 95% Canadian harvested wood. The rest is the Indian rosewood fretboard and bridge.

The quality of the construction is awesome. Not a flaw to be seen.

• Members

Congratulations! I love my blue Ami Cedar. I almost decided to keep it as my only guitar but then I slipped...

I got my Ami pre stick on rosette when they had very nice inlaid wood rosettes.

I think they are the best low price small guitar around. They also seem to be set up great right out of the box. I always found mine easier to play first position barre chords than my Seagull S6.

Archived