Gibson J-45 vs Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M

fluff

• Members

Hey fellas, for a while I've been thinking about getting a J-45 but it just doesn't seem like a can justify it because if the Masterbuilt AJ-500M.

There both solid mahogany back and sides and Sitka spruce top with rosewood neck. Yet there's a

• Members

I am fortunate to actually own both. Despite similarities in body shape and materials, they bear little resemblence in tone and feel. The AJ is full scale and the Gibson is short scale. The J-45 also has a slightly wider neck (similar profile).

Tonewise, they are worlds apart (to my ear). The Epi is louder and brighter than the Gibson (with similar strings). It also has more sustain. The bass is boomier. My J-45 has that typical thumpy bass and quickly decaying sustain. It seems to emphasize the midrange more than the Epi. It is darker and "smoother/rounder" sounding, compared to the Epi, which to me, exhibits a raw "in your face" tone (not intended as a negative comment). The Gibson's tone is a little more refined, IMO. Of course, my comments are based on the 2 examples I own. I have played one other AJ500 and a handful of other J-45's, and mine seem prettty characteristic.

I like them both very much, but I don't consider the AJ as a substitute for the J-45. It is a wonderful guitar in it's own right, and only about 20-25% the cost of the Gibson.

• Members

I am fortunate to actually own both. Despite similarities in body shape and materials, they bear little resemblence in tone and feel. The AJ is full scale and the Gibson is short scale. The J-45 also has a slightly wider neck (similar profile).

Tonewise, they are worlds apart (to my ear). The Epi is louder and brighter than the Gibson (with similar strings). It also has more sustain. The bass is boomier. My J-45 has that typical thumpy bass and quickly decaying sustain. It seems to emphasize the midrange more than the Epi. It is darker and "smoother/rounder" sounding, compared to the Epi, which to me, exhibits a raw "in your face" tone (not intended as a negative comment). The Gibson's tone is a little more refined, IMO. Of course, my comments are based on the 2 examples I own. I have played one other AJ500 and a handful of other J-45's, and mine seem prettty characteristic.

I like them both very much, but I don't consider the AJ as a substitute for the J-45. It is a wonderful guitar in it's own right, and only about 20-25% the cost of the Gibson.

Thanks a lot man that's great, the J-45 has been the acoustic guitar I've always wanted since seeing this as a kid...

The way I play is just strumming chords, is the AJ good for this in your opinion? I guess I'm just scared of getting the AJ and regretting not saving for the Gibson.

• Members

I guess I'm just scared of getting the AJ and regretting not saving for the Gibson.

I have an AJ500M and it's a lovely guitar, it really is. It sounds great.

It's not a Gibson.

Is the Gibson worth 1000 Pounds more? It wouldn't be for me, but if not having the Gibson will always bother you, it probably is to you.

• Members

Quick change of heart, just ordered the DR-500M! I'll be sure to post some impressions and pics when it arrives!
:thu:

Well, that was a quicke left turn! ;)

You will be pleased. The entire Masterbilt line is quality and value. To answer your question (now academic) about the J-45 as a chord strummer, it is ideal for strumming (as it is for just about any style). It is a pretty versatile guitar.

• Members

I have been sold on the sound of the Masterbilt line.

Wonderful. It reminds me of one of my favorite groups (and albums):

http://www.amazon.com/English-Country-Dances-Bare-Necessities/dp/B0000003OM

http://www.cds-boston.org/ecdc/

I could listen over and over again. For the folks on the other side of the pond, what do you think of this take on English country dance (I don't mean to hijack the thread)?

• Members

There is just so much tangible and intangible that goes into this kind of choice. One of the intangibles for me is the simple pride of ownership, the shine from real lacquer and the "rock and roll" fantasy of playing a guitar that has been used by my musical heroes for generations.

When I was in your exact position a year ago, guess which one I bought? No regrets.

• Members

There is just so much tangible and intangible that goes into this kind of choice. One of the intangibles for me is the simple pride of ownership, the shine from real lacquer and the "rock and roll" fantasy of playing a guitar that has been used by my musical heroes for generations.

When I was in your exact position a year ago, guess which one I bought? No regrets.

Haha, well when your famous they supply all of the expensive guitars to you anyway.;)

• Members

So, the DR-500M finally arrived! First of all it was poorly packaged and in an Ibinez box :rolleyes:. As a result the headstock has a chip so I'll be getting in contact with GAK about a replacement.

Onto the sound, I wasn't sure what to make of it. The bass strings seem to sound great but the bottom E just sounds very dull. Although this could be the strings that came with it. I'll have a play over this week and see how it feels.

I just did a couple of quick recordings so you guys can have a listen....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=875547

One in dropped D and the other normal. I used an SM81 and an NT-1, also some light compression/reverb has been added. Let us know what you guys think.. :thu:

• Members

I played an old J45 today (circa 1964). It was as rjoxyz describes in sound. Thumpy and quick decay. Very little resonance. 'Course, it was old, had a JLD system installed and that might have some damping effect.

I'd really like to play a '64 J45 with the solid bridge fix. When I bought my '60s Martin all those years ago, the tonal properties, the "ring" and the grab you factor were just way out in front on the Martin. To be fair to the Gibbo though, that guitar as intended to be a percussion/strummer in a different roll. It never was a bluegrass cannon.

• Members

If you can afford a J45, try a few out and enjoy. The Masterbilt is a very nice guitar, but I am afraid the shape of the guitar is about the only sonic comparison you can make.

I have played a number of J45's over the years. The first was a 50's vintage. I was also lucky to have played a '49 that was an incredible instrument. It was the pre-adj bridge era guitar and by memory, a lot different sounding than the newer Gibson J45's. Of course age, and other factors all contribute to the sound of an instrument, but from my own experience, the sound of that era guitar is uniquely different and "special". My best friend I grew up with has a '54 Southern Jumbo that his grandfather gave him when he was 12. It has that same inexplicable sound.

I would love to play one of Gibsons newer 1942 J45 legends. But I am about as close to affording a guitar like that than I am retiring to Hawaii.

Again, I am a BIG fan of Masterbuilts. I have played a number of them and like them alot. But they are not even close to vintage style J45. Sorry.

Archived