Acoustic Amp vs. Keyboard Amp

samthinguy

• Members

I am starting to try to concentrate on my acoustic performance and I'm selling a bunch of my electric gear to fund it. I've been trying to find out which way is the best to amplify myself. I've played some acoustic amps that I really like (loudbox 100, Roland ac-60, and Acoustasonic SFX) but I've heard some people say that a keyboard amp is the way to go. I like the roland kc-350 but all I've played through it is... a keyboard.

What do y'all think?

Who plays through a keyboard amp?

What are the pros/cons to a keyboard amp?

I'm keeping my electric guitars and selling the amps so I would also kinda like to be able to plug my POD into this amp and get a decent electric sound...Seems like a keyboard amp might be better for that application beause of the larger speaker size...

Let me know what y'all think

Thank you

• Members

The nice thing about a keyboard amp is that iirc it can handle lower frequencies (which is nice if you pick up an acoustic bass gig).

Portability and price are big factors.

Also, are you going to use onboard UST (or other such pups) or are you going to mic your acoustics?

Are you singing? This could help determine how many inputs you'll need.

• Members

Speaking purely in terms of the tone you'll get when running your acoustic through the amps:

I'd say the acoustic amp is the way to go. The keyboard amps I've played acoustic guitars through are decent, but they don't quite have the same depth and fullness of tone that the acoustic amps did.

On the other hand, Stackabones does point out some important factors like mic'ing your acoustic and having extra inputs for voice. You might want to weight the trade-offs of getting an acoustic amp with only one or two outputs compared with getting one of the Roland KCs with all of their extra versatility.

• Members

The nice thing about a keyboard amp is that iirc it can handle lower frequencies (which is nice if you pick up an acoustic bass gig).

Portability and price are big factors.

Also, are you going to use onboard UST (or other such pups) or are you going to mic your acoustics?

Are you singing? This could help determine how many inputs you'll need.

Right now I have a Martin DM with a K&K pure western. Part of this rotation of gear may also result in another guitar as well, but for the most part I would be using on board electronics and not micing too much. I will also be singing through it. Also of note I have a BBE Acoustamax preamp...

So what I am hearing is that Keyboard amps are more versatile but I would sacrifice some of the tone?

• Members

I am starting to try to concentrate on my acoustic performance and I'm selling a bunch of my electric gear to fund it. I've been trying to find out which way is the best to amplify myself. I've played some acoustic amps that I really like (loudbox 100, Roland ac-60, and Acoustasonic SFX) but I've heard some people say that a keyboard amp is the way to go. I like the roland kc-350 but all I've played through it is... a keyboard.

What do y'all think?

Who plays through a keyboard amp?

What are the pros/cons to a keyboard amp?

I'm keeping my electric guitars and selling the amps so I would also kinda like to be able to plug my POD into this amp and get a decent electric sound...Seems like a keyboard amp might be better for that application beause of the larger speaker size...

Let me know what y'all think

Thank you

I had the Roland AC 60 and hated it, ended up returning it for the Fishman loundbox Performer.

The Fender, I owned that too, it sux

I gigged with for years the Fender Passport 250, great amp for solo gigs and a duo, the price is right too. You will need 2 speaker stands and mics stands, I like the sm 58 better than the mics that come with it.

It sounds great and is eq'ed for smaller shows and coffee house and resturant work.

I have a SWR CA Blonde it's pretty loud.

Try the new Fishman solo amp, I have yet to test drive it, but I will

• Members

You'll only be able to accurately assess that by going to some stores and A/B'ing some amps.

I wish it was that simple. I live in a difficult place to just trying things out. We are looking at least a two hour drive. I just try to get researched before I finally get to make the trip...

Thank you for the help

• Members

I wish it was that simple. I live in a difficult place to just trying things out. We are looking at least a two hour drive. I just try to get researched before I finally get to make the trip...

Thank you for the help

Yikes! Yeah, we'll help out as much as we can. Keep asking us questions!

Since you mentioned the Loudbox, I'm guessing your budget is around $600, right? How much are you looking at spending?

btw, I use a Schertler Unico. I was originally going to get the David, but opted for the extra inputs and a little bit of extra juice. Not a ballsy in-your-face amp, but very lush and pure sounding imo. I sing and play acoustic through it, though I've also used it on jazz gigs with thinline archtop and it worked well. Now that I look back and in consideration of most of the gigs that I play, the David would have suited my needs just fine.

• Members

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-K4-Keyboard-Amp?sku=702649

I use this. I think its much nicer than the Roland KC-350.

I use this for my guitars (Electric and Acoustic) and Guitar/Soft Synths. Its basically a tri-amped 300 watt PA with 5 speakers, 4 stereo channel, multiple EQ's and switchable power tubes on the first stereo channel. Its under 50 lbs, extremely balanced and powerful.

• Members

okay completely different direction, what about a small mixer, like a yamaha mg82cx and a powered speaker, like maybe a Behringer b212a?

If I bought just this mixer could I use the headphone out without any speakers plugged in? This may be a stupid question but as I understand it this mixer is passive...doesn't that mean it would need some sort of amplification?

• Members

Small mixer and powered PA speaker is a great idea. I have that Behringer and it's worked fine for me (though I've read mixed reviews about them).

Another set up I've used (and still use on occasion) is a Mackie SRM150 and a PA speaker (powered or not). The Mackie is a hotspot (near-field) monitor & has a lot of power for such a small unit -- I've even used it in cafes all by itself when the room is small enough (and the pay/tips/etc don't justify lugging anything too big).

• Members

I can not comment on acoustic amps because I never played through one except in passing in a git store. I do however, own a CRATE KX160 keyboard amp that suits me fine. It has 4 independant channels, paramentric eq ,reverb. Plenty of power at 100 watts. One large 18 inch woofer.

I can run vocals through one channel, bass through another and guitar through yet another. Keyboard amps are designed not to color the sound of the instrument. So if you have a crappy instrument, or preamps then your will hear a crappy sound. What you put in is what you get out.

I do not go for the hype of acoustic amps being any better than a keyboard amp except in theory they are "voiced" for acoustic instruments. I do not know what this means I do know it cost more money.

Nah, I got my Crate used for 200 bucks 7 years ago and had no problems. I even use it for a bass amp.

• Members

Don't know much about keyboard amps but do have experience with acoustic amps. Try the Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr 35 watts or its bigger brother 100 watts. There are many others to try out as well. I would stick with an acoustic amp vs the other options due to them being voiced for acoustic guitars with easier use and portability vs lugging around a PA system.

Archived