New Ray LaMontagne Album Out

rjoxyz

• Members

I thought that "Three more days" was the best song ever written in the last 5 years. That wurlitzer was just :love:

However, I wasn't blown away by this album. First track was great though, it had that stax soul sound down pat :thu: It might grow on me though.

• Members

just bought this today. a rarity for me, i know. only got through track 5, and am transferring it for ipod use tonight. quick impressions:

-songs are busier. more of everything. more volume, more tracks, more instruments. a glass half full/half empty thing, i guess. your call.

-production seems louder than the last one, but not distorting (yet- haven't tried it on my headphones). but his voice is even more upfront than before.

-ray has stepped up his game some; think i heard an alternate tuning in there, some fingerpicking and there are more guitar parts going on. not just the folky strum. also, his voice is improving.

-the first song is the one to check out if you love the "soul" ray, but "sarah" totally sounds like dylan's "fourth time around". i'm ok with that.

will report back later.

love,
eor

• Members

just bought this today. a rarity for me, i know. only got through track 5, and am transferring it for ipod use tonight. quick impressions:

-songs are busier. more of everything. more volume, more tracks, more instruments. a glass half full/half empty thing, i guess. your call.

-production seems louder than the last one, but not distorting (yet- haven't tried it on my headphones). but his voice is even more upfront than before.

-ray has stepped up his game some; think i heard an alternate tuning in there, some fingerpicking and there are more guitar parts going on. not just the folky strum. also, his voice is improving.

-the first song is the one to check out if you love the "soul" ray, but "sarah" totally sounds like dylan's "fourth time around". i'm ok with that.

will report back later.

love,

eor

I think eor has made a pretty accurate observation. This one seems a continuation of his progression to more complex arrangements and production (not always a good thing) from one album to the next. I know his last one was criticized by some as being too slickly produced. I like pretty much all of his stuff.

• Members

ok, eor listened to the whole thing a few times and i guess i am whelmed. not over or underwhelmed. just whelmed. there aren't any clunkers in the bunch (though winter birds kinda went nowhere), which is kinda surprising, considering that there are some left turns here. its just that the ray that is here (and is represented very well) isn't the ray that i love best. so in a way, this album isn't catering to me. this is the rootsy, americana, (sometimes happy) ray, and i just like the folk ray way more. i fully expect the album to grow on me as time goes by, however.

i need to listen to the second half of that album more, but it is probably the half i'm going to like the least. it is pretty dylan though, with all kinds of extra instrumentation and fancy arrangements. banjos and harmonicas and shakers for all. and a lot more electric guitar on this album, too.

that said, tracks 2-5 are all winners that are pretty representative of the "evolved" ray. tracks 6-8 are a new ray altogether, the rootsy one. the first track is the only appearance of the soul ray, it looks like.

overall, aside from a few songs, the album kinda feels... familiar. like it has been done before. not really a bad thing, its kinda like ray's take on those styles.

love,
eor

meg white totally feels like a white stripes song, and i wouldn't be surprised if they cover it at some point. they even got her drumming style down pat. :)

• Members

For the fans here, "Gossip in the Grain" has been released. Just downloaded it and at first listen, I like it. He actually wrote a rather odd love song to Meg White. Interesting.

It's a pretty decent cd, the Meg white tune is a bit strange and stalker-ish if you aske me.

I also grabbed the new

Lucinda Williams one

The Jakob Dylan one

and the Old Crow Medicine Show.

so far the Jakob Dylan one really grabbed me, Ray Lamontage is good.

OCMS was ok, I will need to listen to it again.

I'm just getting the LW cd

• Members

It's a pretty decent cd, the Meg white tune is a bit strange and stalker-ish if you aske me.

I also grabbed the new

Lucinda Williams one

The Jakob Dylan one

and the Old Crow Medicine Show

so far the Jakob Dylan one really grabbed me, Ray Lamontage is good.

OCMS was ok, I will need to listen to it again.

I'm just getting the LW cd

I'm glad you mentioned this one. I hate the new OCMS. I gave it a good 5 full listens since I bought it and it is just completely dull and musically uninteresting.

I'll have to pick up the new Ray tomorrow, I reckon.

Archived