Essential Acoustic Albums.

jerime

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks.

I've been listening to Robert Johnson for the last few days, because I decided I needed to educate myself with the blues a little better. I really like R.L. Burnside's "Mississippi Hill Country Blues" too.

Robert Johnson is great. Don't get me wrong. But he was really the last of the original acoustic bluesmen. Urban influences were already apparent. Again, not a bad thing, but I like some of the earlier more rural bluesmen and songsters even better.

You might try out Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell, Charley Patton, Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson (spirituals and gospel), Barbecue Bob, Sleepy John Estes, etc. for a taste of pretty unadulterated blues, just one step up from field hollers often based on folk songs imported from Africa along with the slaves.

• Members

Jerime, recommended Mississippi John Hurt:

http://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Blues-Complete-1928-Recordings/dp/B000002AEN/sr=1-3/qid=1168710225/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/105-1938109-7678849?ie=UTF8&s=music

(There's a collection of the same tracks on the Yazoo label as well.)

Hurt had an amazing touch on the guitar. He said he taught himself pretty much and wanted to play it like a piano.

Also, his voice sounds like sunlight shining goldly through a jar of thick honey.

He recorded this baker's dozen of songs in 1928, then, like many of the old blues cats, disappeared from history.

Until the late 50s and early 60s when students and collectors started acquiring old 78 rpm discs of these old tracks. One of Hurt's songs has the line: "Avalon, my hometown, always on my mind..." and a couple of guys decided to go look up Hurt in Avalon, Mississippi. THey found him nearby and his career was resurrected in the 60s, even playing at one of the Newport Folk Festivals and recording extensively. Other old blues guys were redicovered the same way.

The blues is full of wonderful stories, both in the original songs and in the search to preserve them.

• Members

Charley Patton, on the other hand, was sort of the antithesis of Hurt:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Recordings-1929-34-Charley-Patton/dp/B00006BIO0/sr=1-1/qid=1168710610/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-1938109-7678849?ie=UTF8&s=music

...in that where Hurt was wistful and had an incredible smooth approach to guitar and singing, Patton was the original raw-boned blues hollerin' man. When I first heard Patton, I had never heard anything as primitive and howling. Yet he was still a great guitarist. In fact, one of the first "wildmen" of guitar, entertaining at juke joints by knocking out rhythms on the guitar, playing behind his head, etc.

Unfortunately, while some bluesmen were later rediscovered, many others, like Patton, died young, sometimes from illness (Patton had a weak heart though you'd NEVER know it from listening to him), neglect (Blind Lemon Jefferson froze to death in the snow after a recording session), alcoholism (Tommy Johnson, who drank himself to death on canned heat) and of course there are many stories of blues guys being shot, stabbed or poisoned by women they two-timed or by jealous boyfriends or husbands.

• Members

+1 for Johnny Cash

American IV was very good.

Also, one of the best rythm acoustic players and a very talented musician is Jack Johnson. He does a great live show. Usually just him on Acoustic guitar. Totally different tropical-type sound to his music. Check out "Taylor" off of "On & On". Nice guitar work!

• Members

Robert Johnson is great. Don't get me wrong. But he was really the
last
of the original acoustic bluesmen. Urban influences were already apparent. Again, not a bad thing, but I like some of the earlier more rural bluesmen and songsters even better.

You might try out Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell, Charley Patton, Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson (spirituals and gospel), Barbecue Bob, Sleepy John Estes, etc. for a taste of pretty unadulterated blues, just one step up from field hollers often based on folk songs imported from Africa along with the slaves.

Thanks. I've heard of Patton although haven't listened to much by him. I'll definatley have to check him and Hurt out.

+1 for Jack Johnson. Great easy listening music.

• Members

There's a 4-CD set called "Century of the Blues," produced in the UK but available in the US I think. At one point I had dropped hints to various friends and family that this would be a great present for me, but apparently I was too subtle. And then I forgot about it! I think I'm going to buy it for myself.

Found this link:

Century of the Blues

• 4 months later...
  • Members
A great album from 1969 by Tony McPhee (from The Groundhogs), called I Asked For Water, She Gave Me Gasoline...really cool acoustic blues

Good Pick Tony plays a mean acoustic guitar and an even more wicked electric.
For some great Heavy Metal blues as Tony called his music check out the following albums for some awesome guitar playing:cool:

Thank Christ for the Bomb
Split
Who will save the World?
Hogwash
Solid
Crosscut Saw
Black Diamond

www.thegroundhogs.co.uk/

• Members

For good acoustic blues try, Paul Rishell - Swear To Tell The Truth

Another very interesting acoustic blues choice would be Catfish Keith - A Fist Full Of Riffs. This is a solo acoustic blues album that is totally instrumental.

For more of a country feel I would recommend Gillian Welch - Hell Among The Yearling's.

• Members

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bob Dylan or James Taylor.

Good starter albums would be

Freewheelin' (Dylan) and

Mud SLide Slim or Sweet Baby James (JT)

JT is a monster player by the way...

I totally forgot; I second Sweet Baby James.

also:

Simon and Garfunkel- Bookends

John Denver- Rhymes and Reasons, Windsong

Archived