What Acoustic for $1000?

MegaMustaine

• Members

Hey guys! I'm new to acoustic playing but not to guitar. I've been playing the electric for 5 years. Now, the last year, a buddy of mine left his old takamine at my house, and needless to say I played it all the time. I really dug it. But he took it back yesterday :mad:

All this time I had been thinking about an acoustic, from $500 to $700. I go to guitar center, try a bunch out, and I fell in love with the Taylor 214CE. It was above my price range, but it felt and sounded so great, that it makes me want to wait longer and just buy that. Plus I really dig the shape, sound, and feel.

My question is, are there better guitars for the money? the 214 is one of those 'cheaper' taylors, so I'm curious as to if there is anything out there that's better for the price, in your opinion.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Members

what kind of music do you play? Fingerstyle or with a pick? In a band? Solo? (here's hoping you play solo fingerstyle, but that's my personal bias) to be honest I've talked with a very well respected person in the industry who recommends the best buy in acoustics these days to be Trinity College Guitars TG 202 if I recall correctly.

Also recommended are Eastman guitars and Blueridge (made by same company that makes the Trinity College instruments) which are well in your price range. I'd recommend an Eastman.

Happy playing.

• Members

Hey guys! I'm new to acoustic playing but not to guitar. I've been playing the electric for 5 years. Now, the last year, a buddy of mine left his old takamine at my house, and needless to say I played it all the time. I really dug it. But he took it back yesterday
:mad:

Thanks for the help guys.

What model of Takamine was it? You can usually get the older models pretty cheap off of Ebay (much less than $1000).

• Members

If on a budget, IT's been seeming to me the best thing is go used. The most bang for the buck. Go to stores and play,play, play. If it is, indeed, the Taylors that have the sound you're looking for, as said before, go for the all solid wood. Go to the diferent forums and check out the buy/sell sections.

Above all, have fun. I like to draw out the buying process as long as I can stand because I really like running around trying guitars, waiting for that "one" to find me.

• Members

I'm playing mostly rock oriented stuff with a pick. Nothing fingerstyle, a lot of chord strums as well as some cool arpeggios.

Get a dread.

Martin D-15, Guild GAD-50, Larrivee D-03®, Epiphone Masterbilts etc.

Check 'em out and buy the one that sounds/feels the best.

Don't hestitate to try anything in a store either.

You never know what might sound great to your ears.

• Members

Get a dread.

Martin D-15, Guild GAD-50, Larrivee D-03(R), Epiphone Masterbilts etc.

Check 'em out and buy the one that sounds/feels the best.

Don't hestitate to try anything in a store either.

You never know what might sound great to your ears.

+1

IMO you can't go wrong with a Larrivee 03 series. My personal faves are the OM-03R (which I own) and the L-03 (which would probably suit your style better.)

Also consider the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M. :thu:

• Members

I'm looking for something with a cutaway, and I am really digging the look/the way the Taylor x14 series felt.

I'm checking out the 314ce, it seems to be all solid wood. But its freaking expensive! It's almost double what I wanted to originally pay when i set out on this journey. Is it worth the extra cash over the 214? My guitar center only had the 214, so I don't know if I can play the 3.

• Members

I'm looking for something with a cutaway, and I am really digging the look/the way the Taylor x14 series felt.

I'm checking out the 314ce, it seems to be all solid wood. But its freaking expensive! It's almost double what I wanted to originally pay when i set out on this journey. Is it worth the extra cash over the 214? My guitar center only had the 214, so I don't know if I can play the 3.

It's up to you. Some people will tell you that it's worth it. Others will tell you that (wait for it) it's not. Some people will hardly notice the difference, while others will insist that it's huge. You also have to factor in your financial situation. Personally, I'd buy a used guitar from craigslist, but that's me. You can often get a used guitar for 50%-70% of the guitar center price.....

• Members

Check out the Yamaha CPX900. It has an amazing thick acoustic tone plus the pick-up system is extremely cool with 4 separate pick-ups in it, two of which have their own gain controls for bass and treble. These are not an EQ but because of where they're placed underneath the soundboard you can control more of these tones.

Check it out.

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D451701%252526CTID%25253D600023%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

Here's the best deal I found on the web.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/search/index.asp?query=Yamaha+CPX900

Archived