Which strings for Cedar tops?

Rusty_Chains

• Members

I've been using DR Rares for my Cedar topped Seagull MJ and have been pretty happy so far. I use a 13-56 and tune down to Open D. I play fingerstyle.

I'm thinking I may try a different set because I like to experiment. I read an article that said certain strings react better to different tops.

Is this just a myth or is there some truth to it?

• Members

Hey. I tune to Open D a lot. And live just south of Kalamazoo. I'm using a put-together set of polywebs, I think 13-56. Tuned DGCFAD today but last night was CGCFAC... Pretty buzzy results with the cedar (Entourage dread) and I hit it pretty hard usually but that's the sound I like. I don't amplify the acoustic so I like to be able to go from softish fingerbrushing to bright picking to all out palm-muted/released cedar distortion. :D

I only use the polys because I never case my guitar. ;)

• Members

Strings do make a difference, but what you will and won't like is very individual.

I put a set of Silk & Steel D'Addarios on my small bodied cedar one time. The sound was variously described as honeyed, boudoir, rich and smooth, and {censored} not much volume from those. Probably ideal for wooing or serenading :)

I pretty much settled on D'Addario EJ16 PBs, but am currently contemplating trying 80/20s.

fwiw ymmv etc

• Members

I'm running Daddario lights (EJ16...12-53) on a Seagull Mini Jumbo Entourage. Sits in my office and gets play every morning.

I still am getting a warm tone from the guitar and volume is good too...even with machinery and forklifts buzing around downstairs...

They are worth a try...free shipping at shorlinemusic.com

Archived